Unrecognized all-stars - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Unrecognized all-stars

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Unrecognized all-stars

Postby skjelstrom » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:08 pm

Everyone always says to pay attention to the first two months or so to look for stars of the season. There always seems to be players that go completely undrafted that end up making big contributions to a team. So how do you recognize that player and be the first to jump on him? What sticks out that says you need to pick up that player immediately?
skjelstrom Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 103)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Unrecognized all-stars

Postby Bosy Billups » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:24 pm

For me:

Drew Stubbs - has the tools, pedigree, opportunity (yes, he will be leading off), and the power looks to be legit. Could see him pull in a crazy year of 20+/35+.

Gio Gonzalez - the K's are for real. If he harnesses his control and walks less, he could be top 5 in K's this year. OH, and he just landed the 5th spot in the A's rotation.

Ervin Santana - Yes, that Santana. He will be doubted in the beginning, then the usual "sell high injury risk" rotoworld captions come out. However, he keeps on producing, stays healthy, and ends the year as a top 10 SP.
Bosy Billups
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby West » Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:53 am

Bosy Billups wrote:For me:

Drew Stubbs - has the tools, pedigree, opportunity (yes, he will be leading off), and the power looks to be legit. Could see him pull in a crazy year of 20+/35+.

Gio Gonzalez - the K's are for real. If he harnesses his control and walks less, he could be top 5 in K's this year. OH, and he just landed the 5th spot in the A's rotation.

Ervin Santana - Yes, that Santana. He will be doubted in the beginning, then the usual "sell high injury risk" rotoworld captions come out. However, he keeps on producing, stays healthy, and ends the year as a top 10 SP.

I like the Santana and Stubbs picks, although I think you should keep your expectations reasonable on Stubbs.

I'll throw out:
Martin Prado, Kyle Blanks, Kevin Slowey

If you are talking about undrafted players (i.e. deeper):
Sean Rodriguez, Ian Desmond, Ryan Raburn, Brett Gardner, Ricky Romero, Ian Kennedy, Mark Rzepczinsky
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 92)

Postby skjelstrom » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:49 am

Those are good predictions but I was more looking for, how can I know whether they are getting lucky in the first month two or if he will produce all year? Not specific players, although that helps too.
skjelstrom Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby West » Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:39 pm

skjelstrom wrote:Those are good predictions but I was more looking for, how can I know whether they are getting lucky in the first month two or if he will produce all year? Not specific players, although that helps too.

With batters, it helps to look for any statistical outliers in the following ratios (compare their stats for the year to their career averages in the majors (and, if there is not a large enough sample, minors):
HR/FB%
BABIP
Contact rate (i.e., how much they are striking out)
Plate Discipline (BB:K)

A high BABIP or HR/FB % could indicate they are performing over their heads, and vice versa (Low ratios would indicate potential for improvement)
If they are striking out too much yet still have a high average, it could indicate they are getting "lucky"
An improvement approach at the plate, including but certainly not limited to BB:K ratio (pitches/AB is also a helpful statistic) would indicate some potential for improvement.
These are just a few for hitters. I'm sure there are some sabermetric/stat heads here who can bring up more.

For pitchers, look at LOB % (strand rate), BABIP, HR allowed, K:BB ratio, and ERA vs. WHIP (ties in with Strand rate and HR allowed). These are just a few starting points. I don't have time to explain in detail now but I'm sure others can answer your questions or provide more detailed advice.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 92)

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:52 pm

Often times you can't identify a true break out until it's too late (someone else already grabbed him). Don't be afraid to grab guys on a hot streak early for the chance that it continues. If you have some under-performers on your team, don't wait to make the switch.

I don't think anyone has a definitive way to identify unheard of players truly busting out early in the season. At that point, the sample size is often too small to make any absolute claims. You need to look for guys who are producing regardless of the situation (home/away, day/night, etc), who have the skill set to keep it up (based on minor league track record, scouting consensus, etc), and who have some level of sustained production (i.e., weeks of high level play rather than days).

You just have to be faster than everyone else. Making educated moves early often leads to success later.
"Don't take anything for granted, because tomorrow is not promised to any of us." ---Kirby Puckett
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby jackie hayes » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:12 pm

I look at minor league pedigree/scouting reports, age, and playing time situation.
jackie hayes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 90)

Postby thejusman1 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:03 pm

I go by nicknames. Last year, "Zorilla" and "Kung Fu Panda" were two of the best nicknames I have ever heard. Seemed to lead to a lot of success.
http://slippingoffaledge.wordpress.com/ - A blog for political rants, fantasy sports, and thoughts from my twisted mind. Warning: Not for children.
thejusman1
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 1)

Postby skjelstrom » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:54 pm

But what about Carpenter, Greinke, Reynolds, Johnson. They didn't have nicknames :-?
skjelstrom Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers