A's DFA Jack Cust..... Jake Fox time? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

A's DFA Jack Cust..... Jake Fox time?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

A's DFA Jack Cust..... Jake Fox time?

Postby Maris09 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:21 pm

They also sent down Landon Powell, so Fox will be primary backup at Catcher.
The plan is to use Chavy as fulltime DH to keep him healthy, but lets be honest that probably ain't happenin no matter what they do.

That leaves Fox and Barton at 1B, Fox as backup 3B, Fox as backup DH, Fox as backup Catcher, and Fox as a potential option in the OF (though probably won't see a lot of time out there).
Platooning at 1B and backing up that many positions, I could see him getting close to full time, especially if he hits well.
He'll get C elig at some point (though probably not till the 2nd half of the season).
Anyway a good pickup in deep leagues after these moves made by Oakland.
Last edited by Maris09 on Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 8)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: A's DFA Jack Cust.....Jake Fox time?

Postby SlightlyStoopid » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:25 pm

The A's had a way crowded roster and were forced to do something. Keeping Tyson Ross and Cust being DFA'd is the biggest surprises of the moves. Fox certainly isn't worse in the outfield then Cust but Gabe Gross is a better backup option. I could see him getting a lot of time at DH since Chavez has lost a lot of bat speed and I'm not sure he's going to hold on that long. He's hitting the ball but it's certainly not the Chavez of old. Barton had a terrific spring and deserves to be given the full time 1B shot (until Carter forces a move). Suzuki is a beast behind the plate in terms of playing time so, yep, he might have catcher eligibility by the all star break. He's pretty bad back there though, like he's catching with a brick.

On a side note, with Crisp going to the DL, Travis Buck gets one more foot in the door with the A's to show he belongs in the bigs.
SlightlyStoopid
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby AussieDodger » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:40 am

This move shocked me. :-S
They actually went to the trouble of signing him for $2.6mil, and now they DFA him?
I'm happy because it gives us more flexibility, and I understood and agreed when they let him go the first time, but geez make up your mind :-S :-b

Also, Cust is most likely done unless the Mets are interested.
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby kab21 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:56 am

AussieDodger wrote:This move shocked me. :-S
They actually went to the trouble of signing him for $2.6mil, and now they DFA him?
I'm happy because it gives us more flexibility, and I understood and agreed when they let him go the first time, but geez make up your mind :-S :-b

Also, Cust is most likely done unless the Mets are interested.

I'm sure teams can use a LH'ed righty mashing PH'er for the league min. Maybe not right away but at some point after a few injuries happen.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 158)

Postby Maris09 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:27 pm

I was shocked when they brought Cust back after already trading for Fox.

I think it's only a matter of time before they figure out Fox is a better hitter than both Barton and Chavez.
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby DaSh 1s » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:28 pm

Maris09 wrote:I think it's only a matter of time before they figure out Fox is a better hitter than both Barton and Chavez.

He legit is going to hit 30 home runs in that ballpark.
B-Chad wrote:Pedroia's LD rate of 20% is reason to believe he'll maintain a higher BA then Cano. It should also be noted he hits more FB's then Cano, which means that even if he posts a lower HR/FB then Cano, he should come in reasonably close to Cano in HR's
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Maris09 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:38 pm

DaSh 1s wrote:
Maris09 wrote:I think it's only a matter of time before they figure out Fox is a better hitter than both Barton and Chavez.

I think if they gave him full time he could hit 30 for sure, though I don't see quite enough at bats early in the year.
I'm hoping for 450-500, but if he can get full time in the 2nd half of the year I'm good with it in H2H. Especially if he's got the C elig by then.
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Inukchuk » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:46 pm

Well that one backfired, didn't it?

:-b
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby DaSh 1s » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:11 pm

Maris09 wrote:
DaSh 1s wrote:

I think if they gave him full time he could hit 30 for sure, though I don't see quite enough at bats early in the year.
I'm hoping for 450-500, but if he can get full time in the 2nd half of the year I'm good with it in H2H. Especially if he's got the C elig by then.

Sorry, was a ;-7
B-Chad wrote:Pedroia's LD rate of 20% is reason to believe he'll maintain a higher BA then Cano. It should also be noted he hits more FB's then Cano, which means that even if he posts a lower HR/FB then Cano, he should come in reasonably close to Cano in HR's
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Re: A's DFA Jack Cust..... Jake Fox time?

Postby Maris09 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:26 pm

Yeah I figured that with the home park comment. Other than the foul territory it's not that horrible a park though.

I mean, if they can pull Jack Cust off the scrap heap a couple years ago and he hit 26, 33, and 25 HR's over the past three seasons (and with Oakland as his home park), then I don't see why Fox couldn't do it too, and with the added value of a multi elig player.
3B gets fairly rough in some leagues, and big HR numbers from a C spot is always of value in trade.

I know people have been throwing around the 30 HR thing for Fox since the offseason, but that guy seemed primed to breakout whenever the Cubs let him on the field last year. I think he could really surprise.
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers