Having Trouble with the 6th Pick - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Having Trouble with the 6th Pick

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Having Trouble with the 6th Pick

Postby Tis » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:00 pm

coma wrote:I would go Kemp 1st, then Fielder. Longoria is great, but I'm not sure he is worth the 6th overall by any means. I'd rather even have Howard than Longo. I realize there are so many good first basemen, but just compare the stats. Don't pass up the best player available to make a big reach.

I am in an 8 team league and was really happy to get the 7th pick. Went Fielder and then Teixeira at 7 and 10 :-) .

Heh, yeah, I guess it becomes a decent position in a 8 team league where you get two of that cluster, in a larger one though you've dropped a tier by the time it gets back to you...

Think I agree with most of you and will go the Zim/Reynolds(if hes still around) in the third route. Leaves me with the Kemp/Fielder debate. (And to respond to the Ryan Howard vote... I like the guy, but I hate taking a first rounder who is a negative in average.)
Tis
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby swyck » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:32 pm

Me, I'd love to have the 6th pick. I want one of the 2nd tier of 1B, Fielder, Tex, Howard, MCab, ranked in that order, though I'm undecided between Fielder and Tex.

Sure 1B is deep but IMO there's a drop after these guys. There are good players after them, but these guys are monsters. I want one. :-B

Having said that I could see Longoria in this mix, maybe ahead of MCab, but at #6 I don't want him yet. I'd love to grab Zim in the 3rd or Youk if he's not around, but I'm not as happy with the 1B in the 3rd, though i do love Votto.

Kemp, Kemp, Kemp.. I'm unsure. I don't really want an OF in the first at all but that is some talent there. I take him after the 1B, maybe before Longo maybe after.
swyck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 14)

Postby Real Deal » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:42 pm

i would go with kemp..

i think he is the player with the biggest possiblity to under perform, but he also has the biggest chance of being one of the best fantasy players this year. i would take the gamble and go after the biggest upside.
Real Deal
College Coach
College Coach

Postby J.C.Fighter » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:58 pm

Tis wrote:Roto 5x5, non-keeper, extra MI/CI/2OF/Util, 12 teams.

I feel like there is a gap after the top 5 monster 5 tool stars, so assuming Braun (the last) doesn't drop to me, what to do?

Options:
1) Kemp - Young, better lineup position, speed+, power-(for draft position). But OF is DEAP. I'd need to make up the power early in the draft, dangerously pushing back MI picks which are going to be gold. Feel like the dropoff to other OFs isn't enough to justify Kemp. In this situation I'd target A-gone (or maybe Kinsler dispite the injury) in r2, 3B r3 (Reynolds/Zim), and MI in 4/5
2) Fielder - Still young, HRs seem to be down in the league and he's a monster... but no speed contribution. Might still take A-Gone in r2, but more likely to gamble on Kinsler if hes still there for the (even bigger gamble with the move to 5th spot) speed. 3B in 3, MI/CI in 4-5.
3) Longoria - Young, should improve. Best option from a position scarcity perspective, but probably less in raw stats than the other options. Frees up R3 (the last I want to get my 3B from).

Thoughts?

Go with Fielder with that pick. There's enough quality OF's you can grab in the later rounds. In the 2nd round I'd wait and grab 1 of the 3 third baseman. Zimm, Youk, Panda.
J.C.Fighter
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby J.C.Fighter » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:00 pm

Real Deal wrote:i would go with kemp..

i think he is the player with the biggest possiblity to under perform, but he also has the biggest chance of being one of the best fantasy players this year. i would take the gamble and go after the biggest upside.

I would agree with this but I think his big break out year is after this season. Kemp just got paid so I question how much motivation he has to put up amazing numbers.
J.C.Fighter
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Montana168 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:55 am

yup, i realize i am in the minority taking longoria at 6 because based on his MDP and his stats last season, the #6 is reaching on longoria for sure...your paying for the upside, so i understand why some, or most, don't agree that he should be picked there. id go with kemp out of him and fielder. i usually like to build teams with as many 5 cat guys as possible in order to reduce the harm to my lineup if/when an injury occurs. its really a toss up, but id go kemp.
Montana168
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby kab21 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:10 am

I'm taking Kemp everytime at 6. And after that I'm taking all of the 2nd tier 1Bman. The only reason to take Longoria is for position scarcity because each of those 1Bman should have better numbers than Longoria. And there are still a lot of pretty good options at 3B to get.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 523)

Postby Grounded Polo » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:15 am

I wouldn't want to reach on Longoria. I'd rather get the leftovers of Youk, Sandoval, etc. at third base. Longoria is a stud but I'd rather not play for upside at all in Round 1, just skill period.

I didn't have to worry about this in my drafts because I picked at the end of both of my redrafts but I thought it was between Kemp, Fielder, and Teixeira at 6 to me. I'd be tempted to pass on Kemp because the second round will be full of outfielders there but can't knock 30/30 and no longer batting 7th.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Postby Montana168 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:23 am

The only reason to take Longoria is for position scarcity because each of those 1Bman should have better numbers than Longoria

i wouldn't necessarily assume this. here are longoria's and teix's 2009 numbers:

100-33-113-9-.281 Longo
103-39-122-2-.292 Teix

yes teix has him beat in 4 out of 5 cats, but the numbers are so identical that i'd rather have them at 3b, and draft a guy like justin morneau (who has been completely written off this season by most, IMO), joey votto, or kendry in the 4th-6th. but i realize theres not a huge difference between teix/zimm (looking at 2009 #'s) and longo/morneau. i guess it just feels like longoria should be right up there with kemp, but he's not because he had poor july/aug splits last yr but started strong and finished strong. keep in mind, last yr was longoria's first full season in the majors, so this kid still has loads of potential to grow.

now i know it seems strange that im arguing against a yankee, and arguing for a ray (as a yanks fan) but it just shows the respect that i have for longoria and i think we still havn't seen close to longo's best baseball yet.
Montana168
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers