Having Trouble with the 6th Pick - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Having Trouble with the 6th Pick

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Having Trouble with the 6th Pick

Postby Tis » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:55 pm

Roto 5x5, non-keeper, extra MI/CI/2OF/Util, 12 teams.

I feel like there is a gap after the top 5 monster 5 tool stars, so assuming Braun (the last) doesn't drop to me, what to do?

Options:
1) Kemp - Young, better lineup position, speed+, power-(for draft position). But OF is DEAP. I'd need to make up the power early in the draft, dangerously pushing back MI picks which are going to be gold. Feel like the dropoff to other OFs isn't enough to justify Kemp. In this situation I'd target A-gone (or maybe Kinsler dispite the injury) in r2, 3B r3 (Reynolds/Zim), and MI in 4/5
2) Fielder - Still young, HRs seem to be down in the league and he's a monster... but no speed contribution. Might still take A-Gone in r2, but more likely to gamble on Kinsler if hes still there for the (even bigger gamble with the move to 5th spot) speed. 3B in 3, MI/CI in 4-5.
3) Longoria - Young, should improve. Best option from a position scarcity perspective, but probably less in raw stats than the other options. Frees up R3 (the last I want to get my 3B from).

Thoughts?
Tis
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Having Trouble with the 6th Pick

Postby bigh0rt » Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:24 pm

I like Longoria. You can then take a look at a guy like Tulowitzki in Round 2, and get your 1B in Round 3, a Votto/A-Gon type. I think taking a 1B in Round 1 handcuffs you, and there's just too much talent in the OF to go Kemp in Round 1.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 360)

Postby AquaMan2342 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:28 pm

bigh0rt wrote:I like Longoria. You can then take a look at a guy like Tulowitzki in Round 2, and get your 1B in Round 3, a Votto/A-Gon type. I think taking a 1B in Round 1 handcuffs you, and there's just too much talent in the OF to go Kemp in Round 1.

Yeah but you could just as easily take Fielder or Kemp (the better players) and roll with a Zimmerman/Sandoval type in the 3rd round.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby pokerplaya » Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:30 pm

It's funny, I don't like the 6th pick and have trouble with it too...but for me, the guy I'd most like to have 6th overall is none of the above, it's Ryan Howard. He's been going a bit later, usually 10-12, but I think he should be the sixth off the board.

Maybe it's just me. :-B
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby Montana168 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:37 pm

yup, i agree with the above post. the 6/7 picks, to me, is the worst spot to be this yr. the top 5 are clear, and the talent at the back from 9-12 is immense. 6-8 is shaky...you either take kemp/fielder or reach for a guy like longo. since you only have 2 OF spots, and you have MI/CI spots, id go with longoria at the 6 spot. your reaching a bit but i think he's in for a big year. i like kemp a lot as well, but in redrafts i really like the depth at OF where you can grab guys like bruce, cargo, borbon, etc. maybe its just me but i like like guys like zimm or pablo. if you pablo gets just slightly unlucky and his BA goes from .330, down to .300, with his 25/90 projections, his numbers are what i can see brandon wood or david freese goin for this yr but really your paying a much steaper price.

id go longo, kemp, fielder in that order. i just dont like taking a 1b in the 1st other than pujols when there is soo much depth there. you cant go wrong with any of those 3 tho, but i agree those are the only 3 ur targeting at the 6th spot unless 1 of those top 5 (hanley, pujols, arod, braun, utley) somehow fall.
Montana168
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby AquaMan2342 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:42 pm

If you are drafting on Yahoo!, I'd almost for sure bet that you could get Zimmerman in the 3rd round....and I'd take Zimmerman 3rd over Longoria 1st in front of Prince/Kemp/Howard/Tex/Cabrera 100% of the time.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby Montana168 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:51 pm

I'd take Zimmerman 3rd over Longoria 1st

guess im just not a believer in zimm repeating 30+ HR again. lookin at his numbers, he turned 2b's into HR...which isn't uncommon, obviously. im sure there are facts to refute why i dont like him, but to each his own. i still think reynolds will be a 35+/15+ player this yr, but many people won't touch him. i think zimm finishes 25/100/.290...not terrible stats, but i think longo is hitting mid-high 30's in HR/120 RBI (now in the cleanup spot). just my personal opinion, which probably doesn't carry too much weight when your debating a player, don't have the time rite now to dig into the statistical debate but i guess we'll just wait and see.
Montana168
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby pokerplaya » Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:52 pm

AquaMan2342 wrote:If you are drafting on Yahoo!, I'd almost for sure bet that you could get Zimmerman in the 3rd round....and I'd take Zimmerman 3rd over Longoria 1st in front of Prince/Kemp/Howard/Tex/Cabrera 100% of the time.

;-D
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby Tis » Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:40 pm

Montana168 wrote:yup, i agree with the above post. the 6/7 picks, to me, is the worst spot to be this yr. the top 5 are clear, and the talent at the back from 9-12 is immense. 6-8 is shaky...you either take kemp/fielder or reach for a guy like longo. since you only have 2 OF spots, and you have MI/CI spots, id go with longoria at the 6 spot. your reaching a bit but i think he's in for a big year. i like kemp a lot as well, but in redrafts i really like the depth at OF where you can grab guys like bruce, cargo, borbon, etc. maybe its just me but i like like guys like zimm or pablo. if you pablo gets just slightly unlucky and his BA goes from .330, down to .300, with his 25/90 projections, his numbers are what i can see brandon wood or david freese goin for this yr but really your paying a much steaper price.

id go longo, kemp, fielder in that order. i just dont like taking a 1b in the 1st other than pujols when there is soo much depth there. you cant go wrong with any of those 3 tho, but i agree those are the only 3 ur targeting at the 6th spot unless 1 of those top 5 (hanley, pujols, arod, braun, utley) somehow fall.

Just to clarify, the positions listed were in addition to the standard mix (c/1/2/3/ss/3xof/ut)

Thanks for all the feedback guys.
Tis
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby coma » Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:56 pm

I would go Kemp 1st, then Fielder. Longoria is great, but I'm not sure he is worth the 6th overall by any means. I'd rather even have Howard than Longo. I realize there are so many good first basemen, but just compare the stats. Don't pass up the best player available to make a big reach.

I am in an 8 team league and was really happy to get the 7th pick. Went Fielder and then Teixeira at 7 and 10 :-) .
coma
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 6)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers