Jesus Montero or Jason Heyward - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jesus Montero or Jason Heyward

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Jesus Montero or Jason Heyward

Postby rasto21585 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:33 pm

I was just wondering who you thought was the better hitter of the two.
rasto21585
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 213)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Jesus Montero or Jason Heyward

Postby AquaMan2342 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:47 pm

I'm just wondering if you're a Yankees fan, because outside of Yankees fans I think you're going to get "Heyward" as the answer from almost everybody.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby rasto21585 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:10 pm

I'm not a Yankees fan but I think they are very close in hitting ability. Both are polished young hitters that can hit for both average and power. I just wanted to see who you all thought is the better hitter.
rasto21585
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 213)

Postby bigh0rt » Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:16 pm

rasto21585 wrote:I'm not a Yankees fan but I think they are very close in hitting ability. Both are polished young hitters that can hit for both average and power. I just wanted to see who you all thought is the better hitter.

They're closer than most people will give credit, but Heyward has shown a far superior eye to Montero through their near 1,000 AB. Montero looks excellent, though.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 377)

Postby HighHeater » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:29 pm

Um I like Heyward first off and i dig the hype but this question isnt out of the realm of the poster being a yankee fan. Jesus Montero has the potential of a Miguel Cabrera with the stick. Scouts raved about his hitting and labeled the kid with an "80" on the power scale. Heyward has a better eye and strike zone judgement, yes and as of right now is more the complete hitter but i think it's pretty foolish to ride off Montero in this question as he has a potential top 5 bat in all of baseball if he reaches it. There is also no question in my mind he will hit for more power then Heyward.

If Montero stays healthy and is prospect eligible come next year there's no doubt in my mind he'd be #1 on the majority of top 100 lists, and yes even over Bryce Harper.

*im a tiger's fan btw
HighHeater
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 8)

Postby AquaMan2342 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:14 pm

HighHeater wrote:Um I like Heyward first off and i dig the hype but this question isnt out of the realm of the poster being a yankee fan. Jesus Montero has the potential of a Miguel Cabrera with the stick. Scouts raved about his hitting and labeled the kid with an "80" on the power scale. Heyward has a better eye and strike zone judgement, yes and as of right now is more the complete hitter but i think it's pretty foolish to ride off Montero in this question as he has a potential top 5 bat in all of baseball if he reaches it. There is also no question in my mind he will hit for more power then Heyward.

If Montero stays healthy and is prospect eligible come next year there's no doubt in my mind he'd be #1 on the majority of top 100 lists, and yes even over Bryce Harper.

*im a tiger's fan btw

It's less of an indictment of Montero as it is a compliment of Heyward. Heyward is the better hitter right now and probably will be the better hitter.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby Grounded Polo » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:23 am

Plate disicipline and shown more in the minors gives Heyward the edge. If Montero continues to improve at his current rate, he can be as good as Heyward and even more interesting from a fantasy perspective if he stays at catcher and doesn't get hurt.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby Bozo » Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:35 pm

I don't profess to be an expert on either one of them but from what I know I'd say that;
Heyward is major league ready and has a job and position for many years to come. Seems to be the better all around hitter of the two.
Montero sounds like he has the monster power upside but is at least a year away and has a lot of doubt surrounding his position (and even major league organization if the Yanks were to deal him). I was thinking of buying Montero in my AL only keeper auction yesterday but I'm just not sure if he stays a catcher or even stays in the AL. We all know how the Yanks like to deal kids as trade pieces.
Bozo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 13)

Postby DaSh 1s » Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:47 pm

The OP went from asking Heyward or Upton to this?
B-Chad wrote:Pedroia's LD rate of 20% is reason to believe he'll maintain a higher BA then Cano. It should also be noted he hits more FB's then Cano, which means that even if he posts a lower HR/FB then Cano, he should come in reasonably close to Cano in HR's
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Bozo » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:08 pm

"The OP went from asking Heyward or Upton to this?". I'm a little confused by that comment, what do you mean?
Bozo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 13)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers