2 Prospect Trades - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

2 Prospect Trades

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

2 Prospect Trades

Postby mblax10 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:11 pm

Before our farm draft, I traded 2 high picks for 7 lower because I thought there was enough value late. There's no maximum players on our farm rosters. They can stay down their for any length of time until the year after they lose MLB rookie eligibility.

Trade 1:
Pick #8 (I would've taken Jacob Turner)

for

#73 Bobby Borchering
#84 Hak-Ju Lee
#95 Jason Kipnis
#106 Zach Cox (3B, University of Arkansas)

Trade 2:
#16 (I would've taken Julio Teheran)

for

#62 Tim Melville
#92 Slade Heathcott
#104 Zach Von Rosenburg

Thoughts?
mblax10
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2 Prospect Trades

Postby Tucker0814 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:48 pm

I took Borchering and Heathcott on my minor league team as well, so I obviously like those 2 guys. It seems like you got pretty good value out of those picks as Turner and Teheran are good prospects, but neither are "sure" things. I think you made out pretty good.
Tucker0814
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby thomasps3 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:50 am

mblax10 wrote:Before our farm draft, I traded 2 high picks for 7 lower because I thought there was enough value late. There's no maximum players on our farm rosters. They can stay down their for any length of time until the year after they lose MLB rookie eligibility.

Trade 1:
Pick #8 (I would've taken Jacob Turner)

for

#73 Bobby Borchering
#84 Hak-Ju Lee
#95 Jason Kipnis
#106 Zach Cox (3B, University of Arkansas)

Trade 2:
#16 (I would've taken Julio Teheran)

for

#62 Tim Melville
#92 Slade Heathcott
#104 Zach Von Rosenburg

Thoughts?

Hak Ju-Lee is the prize in deal #1, and I would've taken him before Turner, especially now that his elbow troubles have appeared.

On deal #2, Teheran has some buzz, but an 18 year old pitcher is still 3-4 years away, which inherently makes him an injury risk. There are hundreds of guys who have flamed out who had great stuff and to get a legit 5 tool stud in Heathcott, a solid #2/#3 SP in Melville, and Von Rosenburg make this deal a trade I would've made as well, although I don't think as highly of these guys as Ju-Lee.

Ju-Lee will push Castro to 2b, as he has very smooth SS actions and arm, and is actually faster and has more range than Castro. He will be a Top 50 prospect next year, if not higher, and throwing in Kipnis and Cox makes this an easy decision for me. Great deal for you.

Teheran's
thomasps3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)
Location: Giving BIG UPS to Teddy BallGame for the AWESOME SIG

Postby mblax10 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:54 pm

thomasps3 wrote:
Hak Ju-Lee is the prize in deal #1, and I would've taken him before Turner, especially now that his elbow troubles have appeared.

Are you sure you're not confusing Casey Crosby with Turner? Even so, ranking Lee over Crosby at this point is very aggressive.
mblax10
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bigmex » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:21 am

In the grand scheme of things you made two good deals. Because lets face it, prospects are never for sure and blah blah blah...however i have always been a guy that takes the high ceiling guys over quantity guys who have good upsides. I personally would rather have Turner and Teheran (teheran has a .90 ERA through 60 IP, just read that on BA). However i can see a reason to want to have either side, i think you took the safer route.
bigmex
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Minor League & College Baseball