*WHIR* Just drafted, big money league, advice please *WHIR* - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

*WHIR* Just drafted, big money league, advice please *WHIR*

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

*WHIR* Just drafted, big money league, advice please *WHIR*

Postby Dave8603 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:40 am

WHIR

10 person Yahoo H2H 5x5

I couldn't complete the live draft so some of these guys are autodrafted and I also drafted no closers (but I snagged Perez, Rauch, Lindstrom and Morales). There are only 2 RP spots and 1 P spot so I will probably have to drop 1 or 2 of those 4 possible closers. I also got stuck with 2 catchers and I'm not really a fan of JD Drew and Howie Kendrick. Just want to know where I should try to improve and how my teams looks overall.

[Interesting people available on the WW: Colby Rasmus, Jhonny Peralta, Chris Young (AZ), Alberto Callapso, Stephen Drew, Josh Willingham, Fernando Rodney, Barry Zito, Kerry Wood, Brad Bergesen. (Really, no pitching help here).]

MY TEAM
C - Bengie Molina
1B - Adrian Gonzalez
2B - B Rob
3B - Gordon Beckham
SS - Hanley
IF - Dunn
OF - Carlos Lee
OF - Manny
OF - Cuddyer
OF - Ludwick
OF - JD Drew
UTIL - Howie Kendrick
BN - Borbon
BN - Russell Martin

SP - Sabathia
SP - Verlander
SP - Beckett
SP - Billingsley
RP - Chris Perez
RP - Rauch
P - Lindstrom
BN - Franklin Morales
BN - John Danks
BN - Phil Hughes

Thanks for the help! WHIR
Dave8603
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: *WHIR* Just drafted, big money league, advice please *WHIR*

Postby ThumperHawk » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:18 pm

I like Colby Rasmus better than JD Drew, but that's splitting hairs. I like Borbon on your bench better than either of those two, and he should be in your starting outfield. Kendrick should nullify the BA hit you'll take with Adam Dunn.

Your starting pitchers look good. I think Hughes will develop into a valuable 5th SP for your team. I'm not as high on Danks. Keep your eyes on the waiver wire for surprises at SP. There are always a few. You should be able to convert Morales into a SP when Street comes back. Or you may have to convert Lindstrom into a SP if he fails in Houston.

Overall, there's a lot to like on both sides of your roster.

Please help me out:
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=406298&p=3236273#p3236273
ThumperHawk
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby bspel55 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:56 pm

I think you are going to want to trade one of your dynamite starters for a closer and maybe an outfielder. Like try and work a deal with Beckett and Drew for a closer and an outfielder? Unless you are comfortable punting the save category every week, I think that's what needs to be done, you'd get a 2 position upgrade and you wouldn't lose much. Beckett gets K's but high ERA and WHIP balances it out.

Otherwise, fantastic team. Don't be hesitant to pull the plug on Martin. I know he's a sleeper pick this year but if he starts out bad just grab another pitcher (closer maybe? depending on how some closer battles go). I'm always big on having pitchers on the bench in H2H instead of batters. Don't know why, personal preference I suppose.

Can you help me here: viewtopic.php?t=406305

Thanks!
bspel55
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dave8603 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:40 pm

Thanks for the help. I swapped Drew for Rasmus and I'm thinking of picking up Ian Desmond, but I'm not sure. What do you think? I think I am going to stay put with my closers for now and see what develops. I really hate spending resources on drafting/trading for closers because there's always some surprise pitcher who went undrafted but ends up 40 saves. Really the only thing bothering me right now is my 2 catcher situation. I really don't know what to do because everyone seems to have a solid catcher. I also just read that Molina might not have the job all season if Buster Posey gets the call (but Molina is hitting around .400 in ST so who really knows). I would love to just drop Molina or Martin but I feel like they are both too good to drop. I just HATE having 2 catchers..
Dave8603
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ThumperHawk » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:09 pm

Dave8603 wrote:Thanks for the help. I swapped Drew for Rasmus and I'm thinking of picking up Ian Desmond, but I'm not sure. What do you think? I think I am going to stay put with my closers for now and see what develops. I really hate spending resources on drafting/trading for closers because there's always some surprise pitcher who went undrafted but ends up 40 saves. Really the only thing bothering me right now is my 2 catcher situation. I really don't know what to do because everyone seems to have a solid catcher. I also just read that Molina might not have the job all season if Buster Posey gets the call (but Molina is hitting around .400 in ST so who really knows). I would love to just drop Molina or Martin but I feel like they are both too good to drop. I just HATE having 2 catchers..

Desmond is a nice player, but you're not going to play him over Hanley. Apparently he has 2B eligibility in some leagues, but you already have two solid second basemen. You just don't have anywhere for Desmond to play. I completely agree with not wasting position players to trade for saves. There are always closers available for pick-up during the year.

I hate carrying two catchers too, but there's enough uncertainty around the two on you roster that I would be hesitant to drop one. However, if there are one or two solid replacements already on your waiver wire (Doumit, Suzuki, Montero, Napoli, Soto, even Clement) I'd be less worried about letting one go - probably Martin. You might be better served by carring one of the big time prospects that are going to be called up - either Posey or Carlos Santana.
ThumperHawk
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Dave8603 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:16 pm

Sorry to keep bumping this thread up but I just realized Shaun Marcum is available on the WW. What are your thoughts on him? I like him as an strong comeback candidate after his injury last year. I think he has the potential to be the ace of that rotation and he seemed pretty good before his injury. I am thinking of dropping 1 of Morales, Lindstrom, Perez, Rauch or Russell Martin. Thoughts?

Leave your link, I will return the favor. WHIR.
Dave8603
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby lyons595 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:45 pm

Really nice team overall. Glad you got rid of Drew.
I guess the only hole I see is closer. I dont know how you feel about aquiring closers, but wait a few weeks (you may have to punt SV) but someone will emerge and you can snatch him up. Then wait another few weeks and the whole thing will happen again. Just don't pay with a position player thru a trade.
In repsonse to other comments, your SP depth is good IMO. Some tinkering here-and-there would help, but no major changes are needed.

Thanks for the help.
lyons595
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Response Team
(Past Year: 201)

Postby ThumperHawk » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:51 am

Dave8603 wrote:Sorry to keep bumping this thread up but I just realized Shaun Marcum is available on the WW. What are your thoughts on him? I like him as an strong comeback candidate after his injury last year. I think he has the potential to be the ace of that rotation and he seemed pretty good before his injury. I am thinking of dropping 1 of Morales, Lindstrom, Perez, Rauch or Russell Martin. Thoughts?

Leave your link, I will return the favor. WHIR.

I'm a Marcum fan, but the only guy I'd drop for him is Martin. You need to see how your potpourri of closers shakes out before dumping one. Too big of a risk that you dump the wrong one and then you're really in a bind. Give it 2-3 weeks to see how each performs and then dump the worst one. If Morales or Perez really struggle, I'd have a low threshold to cut them as there are injured closers waiting to take their jobs away.
ThumperHawk
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team