$$$ Keeper league, WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

$$$ Keeper league, WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

$$$ Keeper league, WHIR

Postby ThumperHawk » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:35 am

12-team, ROTO, 6x6 format. Extra categories are OPS and INN. Limit 5 keepers per year (with a 2 round draft penalty). Numbers in parentheses indicate the round a keeper was kept in.

Bats
C: Doumit
1B: A-Gon
2B: Barmes
3B: A-Rod (1)
SS: Al. Escobar
OF: Manny
OF: Ichiro
OF: BJ Upton (10)
OF: Pence (11)
IF: B Wood
DH: H. Matsui

Bench
2B: Sean Rodriguez
OF: Milton Bradley
OF: Michael Brantley
OF: Cameron Maybin


Arms
SP Hamels
SP: Billingsley (9)
SP: B. Anderson (17)
SP: Garza
P: Scherzer
P: Wolf
RP: Aardsma
RP: Jon Rauch

Bullpen
SP: Phil Hughes
SP: Jonathan Niese
RP: M. Gonzalez

Prospects
SP: Chris Tillman
SP: Daniel Hudson


Obviously my 2B is a glaring hole. There were 13 (THIRTEEN!) second basemen off the board by the end of the 6th round. My best-case scenario would be for Sean Rodriguez to work his way into regular at bats in Tampa. Otherwise I'm going to have to acquire a legit 2B via trade.

Your thoughts? WHIR.
Last edited by ThumperHawk on Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ThumperHawk
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor


Posts: 46
Joined: 13 Apr 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Keeper league, WHIR

Postby husker43 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:00 pm

Your 2b is pretty weak since sizemore is going to bat in the bottom third. Personally, I would get rid of Milton Bradley. I know he is supposed to bat at the clean up spot but I think he will lose the job quickly. He is taking up a roster spot, if you look at his career numbers and 'at bats' he is not too special. If travis hafner or huff in FA, I would grab these guys b/c they are tearing up the spring and having a bounce back. Look at ian desmond over rodriguez. he is the new starter ss but 2b eligible for the nationals and look at his spring numbers. I would definitely trade for a 2b. Kendrick, Stewart, Beckham are going to have big years.
My topic Help please: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=410296
husker43
Little League Legend
Little League Legend


Posts: 14
Joined: 3 Apr 2010
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Keeper league, WHIR

Postby ThumperHawk » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:28 pm

husker43 wrote:Your 2b is pretty weak since sizemore is going to bat in the bottom third. Personally, I would get rid of Milton Bradley. I know he is supposed to bat at the clean up spot but I think he will lose the job quickly. He is taking up a roster spot, if you look at his career numbers and 'at bats' he is not too special. If travis hafner or huff in FA, I would grab these guys b/c they are tearing up the spring and having a bounce back. Look at ian desmond over rodriguez. he is the new starter ss but 2b eligible for the nationals and look at his spring numbers. I would definitely trade for a 2b. Kendrick, Stewart, Beckham are going to have big years.


Thanks for the reply. I agree that Bradley's hold on the clean-up spot is tenuous at best. But in a league as deep as this (28 roster spots), there is no one on the waiver wire who gives me his upside. He's' going to be hitting with a ton of speed on base in front of him in Ichiro and Figgins. Plus, he's an OPS specialist (one of our extra categories), posting an OPS of .999 as recently as 2 years ago. I can afford to let him sink or swim on my bench. If he swims, then I have 5 legit OFs to deal from (to get that 2B). If he sinks, he'll have done so on my bench where he can't hurt me and I can cut him for someone better.

Huff was drafted (like I said, deep league). Hafner may be a bounceback candidate, but won't help my roster flexibility as I already have Godzilla clogging up my DH spot. Ian Desmond was drafted and does not have 2B eligibility on CBS.

The best 2B options left on the wire are Adam Kennedy, Felipe Lopez, Maicer Izturis, Luis Castillo, Alberto Callaspo, and Juan Uribe. None of those excite me any more than Barmes. Gordon Beckham was kept in the 13th round and so is going to be very difficult to pry away from his owner. Kendrick was drafted in the 6th round. Ian Stewart in the 7th. There's no way I'm paying those prices for borderline top 10 second basemen. I suppose I'll have to wait a few weeks and try to buy low on one of the second basemen who gets off to a slow start.

Thanks again for your input. If nothing else, you've helped me clarify my thoughts on how I want to proceed moving forward.
Last edited by ThumperHawk on Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ThumperHawk
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor


Posts: 46
Joined: 13 Apr 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Keeper league, WHIR

Postby Dave8603 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:28 pm

Thanks for the help with mine.

I disagree with Husker about Milton Bradley. He routinely puts up good numbers when he actually plays and he's in a good lineup now batting cleanup. There's no indication right now that he'll lose the job quickly. You might as well hang on to him for the first few weeks and see how he does. I don't see Hafner or Huff as a big upgrade over Bradley. Especially in a 12 team league, Bradley is a good bench option.

You're right about 2B. You will most likely need to make a trade or just scour the WW for someone. Other than that, I think you should be careful with Maybin and Aardsma. Maybin has been highly touted but has so-far failed to live up to his potential. Aardsma has the closer job for now but he's not super reliable (though there are few closers who are these days).

In a 12 person league, your team looks good. Your pitching is pretty solid and your hitting is well-balanced. Good luck.
Dave8603
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 395
Joined: 17 Apr 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Keeper league, WHIR

Postby ThumperHawk » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:46 pm

Dave8603 wrote:Thanks for the help with mine.

I disagree with Husker about Milton Bradley. He routinely puts up good numbers when he actually plays and he's in a good lineup now batting cleanup. There's no indication right now that he'll lose the job quickly. You might as well hang on to him for the first few weeks and see how he does. I don't see Hafner or Huff as a big upgrade over Bradley. Especially in a 12 team league, Bradley is a good bench option.

You're right about 2B. You will most likely need to make a trade or just scour the WW for someone. Other than that, I think you should be careful with Maybin and Aardsma. Maybin has been highly touted but has so-far failed to live up to his potential. Aardsma has the closer job for now but he's not super reliable (though there are few closers who are these days).

In a 12 person league, your team looks good. Your pitching is pretty solid and your hitting is well-balanced. Good luck.


Thanks for your input. I appreciate your take on Milton Bradley.

I agree that Maybin and Aardsma are high risk guys. Maybin sat on my bench for a long time 2 years ago without anything to show for it. Even though he finally looks like he's nailed down a roster spot, I'll have a much quicker hook with him this year. Aardsma is high risk, high reward (as is Rauch). Seattle looks to be in a lot of close games this year with their pair of aces, solid defense and dearth of bats (another reason why Bradley should get a long look). If Aardsma can keep it together, he should have buckets of save opportunities. If not, then Mike Gonzalez is a nice insurance policy.

Thanks again for your help.
ThumperHawk
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor


Posts: 46
Joined: 13 Apr 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: $$$ Keeper league, WHIR

Postby BigRy » Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:35 pm

What about Clint Barmes off the waiver wire? He has power and will get running scoring opportunities in the Rockies offense quite often. The only question is can he improve his average? A few years ago he had a good average around 280-290. Now with this power if he can even approach 280 you will have yourself a serviceable second baseman.
BigRy
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 286
Joined: 24 Mar 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: $$$ Keeper league, WHIR

Postby ThumperHawk » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:58 pm

BigRy wrote:What about Clint Barmes off the waiver wire? He has power and will get running scoring opportunities in the Rockies offense quite often. The only question is can he improve his average? A few years ago he had a good average around 280-290. Now with this power if he can even approach 280 you will have yourself a serviceable second baseman.


I like the way you think. That's why I drafted him off the scrap heap in the last round. ;-)
ThumperHawk
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor


Posts: 46
Joined: 13 Apr 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: $$$ Keeper league, WHIR

Postby husker43 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:28 am

ThumperHawk wrote:
BigRy wrote:What about Clint Barmes off the waiver wire? He has power and will get running scoring opportunities in the Rockies offense quite often. The only question is can he improve his average? A few years ago he had a good average around 280-290. Now with this power if he can even approach 280 you will have yourself a serviceable second baseman.


I like the way you think. That's why I drafted him off the scrap heap in the last round. ;-)



Haha well milton is out with injury big surprise, also i like griffey. he is in the clean up spot at the moment
My topic Help please: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=410296
husker43
Little League Legend
Little League Legend


Posts: 14
Joined: 3 Apr 2010
Home Cafe: Football

Re: $$$ Keeper league, WHIR

Postby ThumperHawk » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:11 am

Haha? Curious response.

From Rotoworld:
Milton Bradley exited Saturday's game against the Rockies due to tightness in his right quadriceps.
The Mariners said he was removed as a precautionary measure. He should be in the lineup, batting cleanup against the Athletics on Monday.
ThumperHawk
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor


Posts: 46
Joined: 13 Apr 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball


Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Friday, Oct. 24
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Kansas City at San Francisco
(8:07 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact