Players Already On The DL Who Yahoo May Have Missed - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Players Already On The DL Who Yahoo May Have Missed

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Players Already On The DL Who Yahoo May Have Missed

Postby West » Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:33 pm

Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:So I'm certainly not going to suggest we're always right, but whenever people lament that we're incorrect on DL transactions and we investigate, I'd say *easily* 90% of the time, it turns out that we're reflecting what has actually happened with the league office, whether or not that is what people wish had happened, or what is being casually reported in the media. Unless I missed it, nothing in this thread has contradicted that. I have Kinsler in my keeper league; if he isn't going to play, I wish he was on the DL. But at this point I have no evidence he actually *is* on the DL. The closest we have is Rotowire saying he would be put on the DL sometime Saturday, but Rotowire can't predict the future either, and I have no evidence to say that actually happened.

As due diligence, I went to the MLB site for transactions, and can make the following additional comments:
- Even that is not authoritative. We've seen discrepancies before, contacted our provider, and had the answer be that the MLB site is indeed inaccurate. You figure the guy who processes the actual paperwork isn't the guy who says, "Oh jeez, I have to put this up on the website." And sometimes that breaks down.
- They don't list Kinsler as going on the DL.
- I looked at the first 10 or so guys they listed as going on the DL. We had almost all of them on the DL. The exceptions were guys we had as NA, and those are weird cases. I'm not honestly sure what those cases mean. The news would suggest Jack Cust was designated for assignment (for example), which would make him NA. MLB says he was put on the DL. I'm not sure how both can be right, but in the face of being told both, I suspect they end up as NA.
- Reyes is an odd case. He isn't listed on their transactions at all, for March or April. But I also think it is possible that something weird could happen if he was put on the DL in April retroactive to March.

In any case, I can file a bug to just have our product guys check in with our provider and make sure everything is flowing properly.

Thank you Genie for providing us with some very helpful information on Yahoo's behalf. Because so many of us check rotowire/rotoworld/yahoo/espn for our information, rather than going to the official source, it makes it hard to resolve the discrepancies between "will be placed on the DL", "was placed on the DL retroactively to.." and what the actual team does to its roster.

Anyway, we certainly appreciate you chiming in here.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 94)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby West » Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:36 pm

Ursa wrote:The Texas MLB site reports that Kinsler is "shut down for a few days", updated yesterday. He may not be going on the DL it seems. Maybe. I might have to drop someone to get a 2B. :-C

Rangers placed 2B Ian Kinsler on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to March 26, with a sprained ankle.
This was a long time coming, and another injury in a long list for Kinsler. He is still a top talent at a tough fantasy position, and hopefully he can rest and return from the high ankle sprain soon after he is eligible on April 10. Andres Blanco is expected to fill in at second base.

I'm guessing he'll be DL'able on your roster tomorrow.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Ursa » Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:54 pm

West wrote:
Ursa wrote:The Texas MLB site reports that Kinsler is "shut down for a few days", updated yesterday. He may not be going on the DL it seems. Maybe. I might have to drop someone to get a 2B. :-C

Rangers placed 2B Ian Kinsler on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to March 26, with a sprained ankle.
This was a long time coming, and another injury in a long list for Kinsler. He is still a top talent at a tough fantasy position, and hopefully he can rest and return from the high ankle sprain soon after he is eligible on April 10. Andres Blanco is expected to fill in at second base.

I'm hoping Yahoo puts him on the DL today so I can start someone tomorrow (Monday). At least we have daily lineups so at worst I should only miss one day. Not much fun for those with weekly lineups.
Ursa
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Postby J.C.Fighter » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:25 pm

Ursa wrote:
West wrote:

I'm hoping Yahoo puts him on the DL today so I can start someone tomorrow (Monday). At least we have daily lineups so at worst I should only miss one day. Not much fun for those with weekly lineups.

It doesn't make sense to put him on the DL tomorrow when he was put on the DL TODAY!
J.C.Fighter
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby AcidRock23 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:36 pm

Yahoo should just get w/ MLB and give someone there the Yahoo password to adjust these in 'real time'? 'Offically on DL' = on Yahoo DL....
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby J.C.Fighter » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:46 pm

You know what's funny? now that I'm waiting for this idiot to be put on the DL, each and every player that I had my eye on gets ADDED! It's like somebody shared with these people the players i'm targeting..
J.C.Fighter
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:56 pm

West wrote:
Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:So I'm certainly not going to suggest we're always right, but whenever people lament that we're incorrect on DL transactions and we investigate, I'd say *easily* 90% of the time, it turns out that we're reflecting what has actually happened with the league office, whether or not that is what people wish had happened, or what is being casually reported in the media. Unless I missed it, nothing in this thread has contradicted that. I have Kinsler in my keeper league; if he isn't going to play, I wish he was on the DL. But at this point I have no evidence he actually *is* on the DL. The closest we have is Rotowire saying he would be put on the DL sometime Saturday, but Rotowire can't predict the future either, and I have no evidence to say that actually happened.

As due diligence, I went to the MLB site for transactions, and can make the following additional comments:
- Even that is not authoritative. We've seen discrepancies before, contacted our provider, and had the answer be that the MLB site is indeed inaccurate. You figure the guy who processes the actual paperwork isn't the guy who says, "Oh jeez, I have to put this up on the website." And sometimes that breaks down.
- They don't list Kinsler as going on the DL.
- I looked at the first 10 or so guys they listed as going on the DL. We had almost all of them on the DL. The exceptions were guys we had as NA, and those are weird cases. I'm not honestly sure what those cases mean. The news would suggest Jack Cust was designated for assignment (for example), which would make him NA. MLB says he was put on the DL. I'm not sure how both can be right, but in the face of being told both, I suspect they end up as NA.
- Reyes is an odd case. He isn't listed on their transactions at all, for March or April. But I also think it is possible that something weird could happen if he was put on the DL in April retroactive to March.

In any case, I can file a bug to just have our product guys check in with our provider and make sure everything is flowing properly.

Thank you Genie for providing us with some very helpful information on Yahoo's behalf. Because so many of us check rotowire/rotoworld/yahoo/espn for our information, rather than going to the official source, it makes it hard to resolve the discrepancies between "will be placed on the DL", "was placed on the DL retroactively to.." and what the actual team does to its roster.

Anyway, we certainly appreciate you chiming in here.

Oh, it is frustrating for us too. We don't have easy access to official data from MLB. Many of the complaints we get are easily dismissed since they amount to just, "Soandso is hurt - why aren't they on the DL?" or "I read on some blog that they were going to put X on the DL, so why hasn't stupid Yahoo given him DL yet?" But in the trickier cases, it is often the case that any evidence we have easy access to would suggest a guy is on the DL, but when we chase around to the official source, we find out they aren't (or vice versa). The longer I work on this product, the less I stress over this, as I notice that when we get nervous and chase a particular player's status, it almost *always* turns out we've been doing the right thing. Not always, and there will always be some lag between:
- Some team does whatever paperwork or mumbo jumbo is involved in formally putting a player on the DL
- MLB informs their own stat services
- That information flows from MLB to our provider
- That provider processes the data and forwards it on to us
- That information flows to us
- We process the data and update the game

But again, my anecdotal evidence over the last few years suggests this process in general works very well.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 58)

Postby Ursa » Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:13 pm

J.C.Fighter wrote:
Ursa wrote:
West wrote:

It doesn't make sense to put him on the DL tomorrow when he was put on the DL TODAY!

Yahoo have DL'ed him.
Ursa
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Postby West » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:20 pm

Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:But in the trickier cases, it is often the case that any evidence we have easy access to would suggest a guy is on the DL, but when we chase around to the official source, we find out they aren't (or vice versa). The longer I work on this product, the less I stress over this, as I notice that when we get nervous and chase a particular player's status, it almost *always* turns out we've been doing the right thing. Not always, and there will always be some lag between:
- Some team does whatever paperwork or mumbo jumbo is involved in formally putting a player on the DL
- MLB informs their own stat services
- That information flows from MLB to our provider
- That provider processes the data and forwards it on to us
- That information flows to us
- We process the data and update the game

But again, my anecdotal evidence over the last few years suggests this process in general works very well.

Thanks for the inside look at the process. I figured it was something like this. As shown earlier, it was mostly just a bit of laziness on my part that led me to assume that Repczinsky should have been on the DL, as my source, Rotowire, had paraphrased the quote from the official team source. I also did not know that today was the deadline to make it official - i.e., just because a team says that a player (such as Reyes) will be placed on the DL retroactively to a date, does not mean it has happened yet.

Anyway, it was nice to get home tonight and find both Rzep and Webb on the DL.

AcidRock23 wrote:Yahoo should just get w/ MLB and give someone there the Yahoo password to adjust these in 'real time'? 'Offically on DL' = on Yahoo DL....

Although it's a given that many of us on here live in a "fantasy world", things rarely work this simply in "real life". I think Genie just explained the process quite well.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers