Players Already On The DL Who Yahoo May Have Missed - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Players Already On The DL Who Yahoo May Have Missed

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Players Already On The DL Who Yahoo May Have Missed

Postby Syfo-Dyas » Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:18 pm

What a mess. This is ridiculous.
the awesome sig by soty

"You should be mindful of the future, but not at the expense of the
moment." - Qui-Gon Jinn (keeper league expert?)
Syfo-Dyas
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:50 pm

So I'm certainly not going to suggest we're always right, but whenever people lament that we're incorrect on DL transactions and we investigate, I'd say *easily* 90% of the time, it turns out that we're reflecting what has actually happened with the league office, whether or not that is what people wish had happened, or what is being casually reported in the media. Unless I missed it, nothing in this thread has contradicted that. I have Kinsler in my keeper league; if he isn't going to play, I wish he was on the DL. But at this point I have no evidence he actually *is* on the DL. The closest we have is Rotowire saying he would be put on the DL sometime Saturday, but Rotowire can't predict the future either, and I have no evidence to say that actually happened.

As due diligence, I went to the MLB site for transactions, and can make the following additional comments:
- Even that is not authoritative. We've seen discrepancies before, contacted our provider, and had the answer be that the MLB site is indeed inaccurate. You figure the guy who processes the actual paperwork isn't the guy who says, "Oh jeez, I have to put this up on the website." And sometimes that breaks down.
- They don't list Kinsler as going on the DL.
- I looked at the first 10 or so guys they listed as going on the DL. We had almost all of them on the DL. The exceptions were guys we had as NA, and those are weird cases. I'm not honestly sure what those cases mean. The news would suggest Jack Cust was designated for assignment (for example), which would make him NA. MLB says he was put on the DL. I'm not sure how both can be right, but in the face of being told both, I suspect they end up as NA.
- Reyes is an odd case. He isn't listed on their transactions at all, for March or April. But I also think it is possible that something weird could happen if he was put on the DL in April retroactive to March.

In any case, I can file a bug to just have our product guys check in with our provider and make sure everything is flowing properly.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 63)

Postby thejusman1 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:06 pm

Brandon Webb won't pitch for months... how is he not on the DL...
http://slippingoffaledge.wordpress.com/ - A blog for political rants, fantasy sports, and thoughts from my twisted mind. Warning: Not for children.
thejusman1
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 1)

Postby DaSh 1s » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:20 pm

thejusman1 wrote:Brandon Webb won't pitch for months... how is he not on the DL...

Because the Dbacks didn't put him on the DL yet.
B-Chad wrote:Pedroia's LD rate of 20% is reason to believe he'll maintain a higher BA then Cano. It should also be noted he hits more FB's then Cano, which means that even if he posts a lower HR/FB then Cano, he should come in reasonably close to Cano in HR's
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:22 pm

DaSh 1s wrote:
thejusman1 wrote:Brandon Webb won't pitch for months... how is he not on the DL...

What he said. This is important to understand. DL doesn't mean "he's hurt", and it doesn't mean, "he's going to be on the DL". It means, "Our data tells us the player is now officially on the MLB disabled list."
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 63)

Postby thejusman1 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:24 pm

DaSh 1s wrote:

I know, I was just checking out the MLB transactions page... I'm just asking, he won't pitch for months, how have the Diamondbacks NOT put him on the DL yet, this is absolutely ridiculous (and in no way Yahoo's fault).
http://slippingoffaledge.wordpress.com/ - A blog for political rants, fantasy sports, and thoughts from my twisted mind. Warning: Not for children.
thejusman1
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby DaSh 1s » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:30 pm

thejusman1 wrote:
I know, I was just checking out the MLB transactions page... I'm just asking, he won't pitch for months, how have the Diamondbacks NOT put him on the DL yet, this is absolutely ridiculous (and in no way Yahoo's fault).

Because they are trying to decide whether to put him on the 15 day DL or 60 day DL,as they set their 25 man roster. That extra Roster spot from him being on the 60 day can drastically change how they shape up their roster.
B-Chad wrote:Pedroia's LD rate of 20% is reason to believe he'll maintain a higher BA then Cano. It should also be noted he hits more FB's then Cano, which means that even if he posts a lower HR/FB then Cano, he should come in reasonably close to Cano in HR's
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby thejusman1 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:51 pm

DaSh 1s wrote:
thejusman1 wrote:

Because they are trying to decide whether to put him on the 15 day DL or 60 day DL,as they set their 25 man roster. That extra Roster spot from him being on the 60 day can drastically change how they shape up their roster.

From what I've been reading about his recovery everywhere, it sounds pretty clear he's headed to the 60-day DL... I know real MLB teams don't care in the slightest about fantasy, but I've literally seen almost every free agent I had my eye on slip past me in the last week because of how long it's taking Arizona to make their "decision." From "late April" to "mid-May" to "may take another full season to recover from injury," I don't think he's coming back before 60 days... hell, I don't think he'll even start a throwing program before the end of April. I ask again, what's the hold-up?!??!?!?!
thejusman1
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby DaSh 1s » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:56 pm

thejusman1 wrote: I ask again, what's the hold-up?!??!?!?!

Because the Surgeons, the Diamondbacks, and Brandon Webb have conflicting timetables.
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby AcidRock23 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:02 pm

I got Webb cheap at auction but I'm not sure how long I'll be able to keep him while the D'backs, league and Yahoo mess around w/ him...
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers