Anyone have an interest in Travis Hafner this year? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Anyone have an interest in Travis Hafner this year?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Anyone have an interest in Travis Hafner this year?

Postby wrveres » Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:07 am

i picked him up in a 16 team league for a buck, and i plan on using him at UT.

Indians DH Travis Hafner is unlikely to be limited during the 2010 season, according to manager Manny Acta. "We're going to get together with our medical staff and the conditioning staff to put a plan in place," Acta said. "But that being said, our plan is that he's going to get days off here and there, but nothing as he was in the past, where he couldn't play a certain amount of games in a row." More than a year removed from arthroscopic right shoulder surgery, Hafner expects to have no playing time restrictions in 2010. Last season, he played more than three days in a row just once, by design. He batted .272 in 338 at-bats with 16 home runs and 49 RBI.

i'm hoping for one last run from Pronk!
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 720)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kab21 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:26 am

He did have an .826 OPS last year with 16 HR's in 94 games. So he's a fairly effective playing when playing. but the reason to pass on him is that he probably will miss quite a few games.

I did pick him in 14 tm league because I'm in desperate need of HR's.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 170)

Postby jswede » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:30 pm

Cooner wrote:For what it's worth, I watched him yesterday with some interest (having slightly forgotten he existed). He just doesn't look good with a bat in his hands these days. I think he went like 1-2 with a BB and a K, but he just didn't look the same as I remember from when he was raking. Adjusting mid-swing (and missing), tentative, just didn't look good. I mean, it's spring training and all, but he doesn't look like the guy I remember from triple-crown-contention days.

I would differ with that assessment. As would Haf's Spring Stats -- he trails only Choo for the Indians in just about everything: 53 AB, 13runs, 3 HR, 14rbi, 12 BB, only 9 SO, and a line of .302/.424/.527 -- OPS just short of 1.000

According the the docs and Haf himself, he's pain-free for the first time since his surgery, now almost 18mos ago. That's in stark contrast to last year, when he was clearly in pain and had to rest every 3rd/4th game. Makes sense he's feeling a lot better having finally had that rest, along with rehab, that he did not have previously.

and to top it off, the price is right. He's practically free in any league you may be in.
jswede
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby HipHipJorge » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:48 pm

Just drafted him in the 17th in my keeper league. He's in a prime run producing lineup, so even if he doesn't hit 40 homers with a 1.000 OPS, he's still going to have value.

That just blew my mind. How many teams. 17th round is ridiculous for a guy who usually goes totally undrafted.... :-o And in keeper, hmmmm....

Not judging, just shocked, and maybe slightly appalled.
HipHipJorge
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby thejusman1 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:34 pm

I got him in Round 22 of a 14-team Cafeholics league... we'll see how he does. :-o
http://slippingoffaledge.wordpress.com/ - A blog for political rants, fantasy sports, and thoughts from my twisted mind. Warning: Not for children.
thejusman1
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby J.C.Fighter » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:56 am

Hafner had some very weak swings last night....it's still early to be overly concerned but man it's not looking very bright
J.C.Fighter
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby D-backsFan » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:20 pm

Homered today and of course he was on my bench
D-backsFan
College Coach
College Coach

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers