Best site for Auction Values? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Beginner's Forum

Best site for Auction Values?

Best site for Auction Values?

Postby gotbupkisNJ » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:50 pm

I see so much variety from website to website in auction values. I see websites that want me to pay for their list and others who just seem way off base. What site do you rely on the most? For me it could be CBS but not positive...please help.
gotbupkisNJ
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 20)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Best site for Auction Values?

Postby Fenris-77 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:10 am

Don't pay for anything is my first piece of advice. Second, the auction values do vary, but that works to your advantage since it gives a range of percieved value to work with. When you combine that value range with some specific projections you end up with a pretty good idea of what guys are commonly worth. Even if you're just working with a combo of Yahoo and ESPN (plus maybe CBS or rotowire) you'll do alright. Obviously you want to your own research into guys too, and I'd recommend starting off by taking a closer look at players you think you like who have the biggest range of value - there's probably a reason that range is so big, and it's your job to figure out what the reason is.

You can get a lot more granular than just setting the values from the main sites side by side of course, but it's best to start off with the easy steps. Maybe check out the Cafe rankings here and the latest ADP info from Mock Draft Central to supplement.
Fenris-77
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 51)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby MTUCache » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:04 am

http://www.lastplayerpicked.com

That's all you need to know.

Okay... maybe not everything, but that's a ton of great info completely free. You can pick which projections you like, or an average of many of them. You can input your own league settings, which will impact the values of guys by a TON.

One thing to watch... try playing with the hitter/pitcher percentages to get some values close to where you think pitchers in your league will go. I found that a 65/35 split still had pitchers ranked way too highly. I should have gone 70/30 or maybe even 75/25 to get the values closer to where my league valued the pitchers at.

I found that the values that were placed on star players were far higher than those on the standard Yahoo list. For instance, based on this price-guide I would have been willing to pay $70 for Pujols. I suppose I can look at that two ways, when I picked him up for $48. Either I got a bunch of great values in guys in the top 30 (of which I think I have 4-5), or the price guide I was using valued them too highly. Then again, I'm more of a stars-n-scrubs guy anyway.
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Jacko85 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:05 am

I found a nice site called http://RotoCross.com while searching around on google. I've only used it sparingly, but so far it's a nice quick little base for my bids. The printable cheat sheets aren't all that, but who still prints those out? I'd hate to do a live draft without a laptop these days.
Jacko85
T-Ball Trainer

Return to Beginner's Forum