DONT be afraid to tell me like it is!!! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

DONT be afraid to tell me like it is!!!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

DONT be afraid to tell me like it is!!!

Postby bunbury » Mon Mar 22, 2004 3:31 pm

Hey guys, Im relatively new at this so I need help of some of you pro's. Our draft was held on friday and this is my squad. 10 team Yahoo League:

Yahoo league - 10 teams

C M. Piazza (NYM - C)
1B C. Delgado (Tor - 1B)
2B A. Soriano (Tex - 2B)
3B M. Ensberg (Hou - 3B)
SS É. Rentería (StL - SS)
LF L. Berkman (Hou - LF)
CF A. Jones (Atl - CF)
RF P. Nevin (SD - 1B,RF)
Util J. Vidro (Mon - 2B)
BN J. Payton (SD - LF)
BN P. Burrell (Phi - LF)
BN J. Burnitz (Col - LF,CF,RF)
BN J. Mauer (Min - C)
BN F. Thomas (CWS - 1B,DH)

Pitching Staff

SP J. Schmidt (SF - SP)
SP J. Moyer (Sea - SP)
RP E. Guardado (Sea - RP)
RP J. Weaver (LA - SP,RP)
P F. Rodríguez (SF - RP)
P F. García (Sea - SP)
BN A. Leiter (NYM - SP)

I'd really like to do well but feel like I have to improve in certain areas. Not feeling like I did a very good job in the outfield positions and pitching. DId I draft like a retard? What do I need to improve my team? thanks boys.
bunbury Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Tarkus » Mon Mar 22, 2004 3:49 pm

Keep in mind I'm probably as clueless a you but for my two cents, no you didn't draft like a retard. ;)

What I see is that you may be a little weak in the OF and pitching. Looks to me like you could use another starter and another closer. We'll see what the more seasoned veterans think. :-)

Tarkus
Winning may not be everything, but losing isn't anything.
Tarkus
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby ryandw » Mon Mar 22, 2004 3:53 pm

I would consider trading Vidro for some pitching help. I would use Thomas at Util. Since you are in a 10 team league I would assume that there is a closer or 2 on the waiver/free agent wire. You might be able to find a good option there. Good team though.
ryandw
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bunbury » Tue Mar 23, 2004 3:17 am

thanks for the input. I also have a few guys on my team that didnt do much last year...like Burrell and Nevin...I also have Thomas who is due for a down year. E. Martinez is getting older...which one of these four should I feel more comfortable trading for some help?
bunbury Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Larry » Tue Mar 23, 2004 7:28 am

If you can replace Burrell, do it. Find an additional pitcher.
Larry

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Re: DONT be afraid to tell me like it is!!!

Postby drocto » Tue Mar 23, 2004 8:22 am

bunbury wrote:
Yahoo league - 10 teams

C M. Piazza (NYM - C)
1B C. Delgado (Tor - 1B)
2B A. Soriano (Tex - 2B)
3B M. Ensberg (Hou - 3B)
SS É. Rentería (StL - SS)
LF L. Berkman (Hou - LF)
CF A. Jones (Atl - CF)
RF P. Nevin (SD - 1B,RF)
Util J. Vidro (Mon - 2B)
BN J. Payton (SD - LF)
BN P. Burrell (Phi - LF)
BN J. Burnitz (Col - LF,CF,RF)
BN J. Mauer (Min - C)
BN F. Thomas (CWS - 1B,DH)

Pitching Staff

SP J. Schmidt (SF - SP)
SP J. Moyer (Sea - SP)
RP E. Guardado (Sea - RP)
RP J. Weaver (LA - SP,RP)
P F. Rodríguez (SF - RP)
P F. García (Sea - SP)
BN A. Leiter (NYM - SP)

The first thing you should be looking to do is trade for another closer. I assume that this is a 5x5 league (either roto or head to head...?) You could, however, have a chance to pick one up on the FA/W wire. Check that out first. The general rule of thumb that I'd be looking to take advantage of is this one: keep prospects with upside on your bench.

I'd be trying to trade some proven talent (Thomas, Payton, Nevin, maybe even Berkman if you can get a closer and a prospect out of the deal) for a prospect or two to hang out on the pine and wait until they show up for real or totally bust. If the prospect(s) totally bust, you can pick up someone who's hot via free agency. Mauer obeys this rule, but otherwise, you've got a bench full of veterans who could be commodities for other managers in the league.

I'd also be looking to pick up an infielder who's eligible at more than one position who will play everyday. Remember that this doesn't mean the person has to play 1/2 his games at one position and half his games at another... I forget what Yahoo's eligibility requirements are, but they're pretty loose. That's a strategy that I employ every year with success. That way you're covered on more than one position if, for instance, Soriano goes on the DL at the beginning of the year and Ensberg goes on the DL later in the year, if you have someone who's eligible at 2B & 3B, you're covered there.

You seem to have stolen bases spread out among your batters rather than having to have a player who simply steals bases. I prefer that in my teams and would advise you NOT to accept trades for basestealers at this point because someone who overvalued speed in the draft will invariably try to trade you Roger Cedeno for someone good. Don't worry about that right now.

All told, your draft didn't suck. You can build on it (and especially early, I've found that Yahoo leagues tend to leave people undrafted whom you can pick up via Free Agency), but it's a pretty good start.

Good luck!
"... gas prices are headed through the roof, everyone in the Middle East hates us, Toronto and Seattle are in last place -- happy 1978, everybody!." - Bill Scheft, Sports Illustrated, April 26, 2004
drocto
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team