Netflix Watch It Now - mother lode today - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Netflix Watch It Now - mother lode today

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Netflix Watch It Now - mother lode today

Postby jfg » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:19 pm

Yeah, season 4 wasn't very good. I loved 1-3 though. Season 5 is supposed to be the last. I was hearing that it would be aired this year but it's getting late in the year...
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 86)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:52 pm

Season 4 had its moments after the first two episodes. The next three episodes from then on were quite good. Richmond's return spoiled the season finale, IMO.

I haven't heard anything about Season 5 airing in the UK soon. Think it has to do with Chris O'Dowd and Richard Ayoade doing their own projects, which has delayed filming. It'll probably air some time next year.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 662)

Postby Metroid » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:41 am

Now Netflix is scrapping the division Idea and creation of "Qwickster."

"We underestimated the appeal of the single web site and a single service."

Yeah you think? :-b

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Netflix-A ... l?x=0&.v=1
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Tavish » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:34 am

The Artful Dodger wrote:Season 4 had its moments after the first two episodes. The next three episodes from then on were quite good. Richmond's return spoiled the season finale, IMO.

I haven't heard anything about Season 5 airing in the UK soon. Think it has to do with Chris O'Dowd and Richard Ayoade doing their own projects, which has delayed filming. It'll probably air some time next year.

Not sure where I read it, but I think they were planning on giving a US version of the show another shot with Ayoade being the only carry over actor. Not sure how well it would fly considering it would probably be immediately compared to Big Bang Theory (justified or not) and would probably fail under that label.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Postby jfg » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:11 pm

As long as Ayoade is involved, I think it would have a good chance of succeeding. Of all the Brit comedies, I think the IT crowd is the most American of them all. I'm kind of shocked it hasn't been adapted yet.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:29 pm

jfg wrote:As long as Ayoade is involved, I think it would have a good chance of succeeding. Of all the Brit comedies, I think the IT crowd is the most American of them all. I'm kind of shocked it hasn't been adapted yet.

I actually think Ayoade playing Moss in the US version would be a bit awkward, partially because the Moss/Roy/Jen characters have very good on-screen chemistry.

I'd say the most "American" comedy from the UK was Coupling. It failed miserably in the US because of the comparisons to Friends and it was a word-for-word adaptation of the original. The way the lines were read in the US version were rushed and the characters wound up becoming so unintentionally different from the UK version. I fear the same thing with the IT Crowd US version.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Artful Dodger » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:21 am

I've never seen the unaired IT Crowd US pilot, just found this snippet. I didn't realize the lead from Community played Roy. To say, he is horribly miscast as Roy is an understatement.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

Postby jfg » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:29 am

Ugh, that looks pretty bad, I'm glad it didn't see the light of day.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:32 pm

wow, the stock is falling like a rock. It lost 35% of its value in one day and has fallen $304 to $75 in 3 months.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:12 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:wow, the stock is falling like a rock. It lost 35% of its value in one day and has fallen $304 to $75 in 3 months.

Bad time for Netflix. The Starz renewal falling through, the Dreamworks Animation deal and the Qwikster fiasco are indicators that Netflix isn't that lucrative of an investment. The content providers have more negotiating clout than before and that would figure to eat away at Netflix's margins one way or another (they're quite low to begin with). Also, the proposed Qwikster spinoff forced people to get thinking about how much they use Netflix (DVD or streaming) and how much value they offer compared to other alternatives.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk