Brandon Webb - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Brandon Webb

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Brandon Webb

Postby TheBambino » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:10 pm

I make it a point to never draft a player who is still recovering from a year's worth of injury time.... I did this year for Webb and im wishing I didnt... new news from rotowire..

"Webb (shoulder) was told by Dr. Michael Lee that his recovery from August shoulder surgery could take a full year, Jack Magruder of FSArizona.com reports. He had a cortisone shot on Wednesday and will be shut down for five days. Beyond that, there's really no set timetable for Webb that the D-Backs are sharing right now. Ultimately, the lack of progress, conflicting reports, and information revealed on Thursday are all signs that he could miss a few months of the season -- not just April. At this point, Webb should be considered a lottery ticket in 2010, at least until he's throwing from a mound and clearly making progress toward getting back into the D-Backs' rotation."

Whats everyone's thoughts... whats everyone doing?.. are we just all waiting for him to be put on the dl and go grab someone to replace????

C: Montero
1B: Morneau
2B: Utley
SS: Tulowitzki
3B: Reynolds
OF: Sizemore, Ichiro, Ludwick
UTIL: Bruce, Morgan
BN: C Jones, A Soriano

SP: Haren, Carpenter, Webb, Lilly, Danks
RP: Bailey, F Cordero, Capps, Lindstrom
TheBambino
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Brandon Webb

Postby thejusman1 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:22 pm

Wow, that sucks. Yeah, he was going to be my DL-stashee for a month, but it looks like a little longer now.
http://slippingoffaledge.wordpress.com/ - A blog for political rants, fantasy sports, and thoughts from my twisted mind. Warning: Not for children.
thejusman1
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 1)

Postby MTUCache » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:45 pm

I knew it was a gamble at best, and I figured anything over 100 productive innings would be gravy for where I drafted him, so I don't mind throwing him in one of my DL spots until that becomes prohibitive. No idea yet what the chances of "productive" innings are once he does come back, but if he is capable of producing even 80 innings at his previous production level, he would be well-worth a DL stash.

If I were in a league with only one DL spot, or I run into a position where I need to free up my second DL spot for a player I know is going to produce, I wouldn't think twice about cutting him loose.

There's plenty of guys out there who could give me a half-season of good innings, some just take more work than others. I agree, I wish I wouldn't have drafted him where I did, but I figure once the money has been spend there's no reason to throw out the lotto ticket before you know if it's a winner.
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby thejusman1 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:54 pm

What really bothers me is that he's not on the DL yet...
http://slippingoffaledge.wordpress.com/ - A blog for political rants, fantasy sports, and thoughts from my twisted mind. Warning: Not for children.
thejusman1
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby woodson_28 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:10 am

I took him in the 10th rd of a keeper league draft (182nd player overall) on the off chance he comes back strong. If so, I could end up keeping him next for only a 10th rd pick. As it stands now though, Dice-k is the only other player I have that is DL bound. I'd rather cut Dice-K and keep Webb, if it comes down to one or the other.
woodson_28
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby thejusman1 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:22 am

Webb (shoulder) apparently had an encouraging visit with team doctors on Wednesday and a return in May is highly likely, FOX's Ken Rosenthal reports.

Recommendation: General manager Josh Byrnes still hasn't offered a timetable for Webb's expected return to the rotation, but we're still planning on a rehab of about one month once he starts throwing from a mound again.
(Rotowire.com)

So many conflicting reports... wth!?!?
thejusman1
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby thatguy27 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:10 pm

thejusman1 wrote:What really bothers me is that he's not on the DL yet...

Ditto this. I really need the roster space to make a move, but am unable to at the moment. Same goes for Street, although it hasn't been made clear if the Rockies will put him on the DL... Anyone know what's up with that? (sorry for the mini-hijack)
thatguy27
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 2)

Postby AcidRock23 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:25 pm

As a Cubs' fan, I may be more familiar than is healthy w/ the paradigm for injured pitchers, although the Wood/Prior shenanigans were always perhaps a bit extreme. I got Webb cheap ($4 maybe? It was into the drinkin' rounds...) @ an auction so it won't kill me but this sort of stuff doesn't look good? When they say 'maybe' the doc is usually saying 'don't overdo it' and the player, whether on their own (these guys are competitors, after all...) or at the suggestions/ hints of managers/ owners/ coaches, seems almost guaranteed to try to 'push it' and will end up blowing a gasket and needing to get whatever procedure they originally had done redone and then some to make up for whatever didn't stick? I am certainly not counting on him for much. %-6
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby capsfan » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:16 am

my league doesnt have a DL. should i just drop him? (10 team h2h redraft)
capsfan
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Fenris-77 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:23 am

in a 10 teamer with no DL I'd probably drop him, yeah. There's bound to be some pretty good replacement options on the wire.
Fenris-77
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 51)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates