Nick Johnson - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Nick Johnson

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Nick Johnson

Postby KCollins1304 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:09 pm

MTUCache wrote:
AquaMan2342 wrote:This is true but I think the competition this spring was between Grandy/Johnson. I would assume Granderson moves up if he's actually hurt.

To be honest, I'm thinking that it was Granderson's job to lose in the first place. They brought him in hoping he was going to win that job, and they're going to give him enough rope to hang himself with there.

I hate to root against Granderson, but I really wouldn't mind seeing NJ in that two-hole as often as possible this season. If that means "platooning" Grandy down to the 6/7-hole against lefties or full-time, either way I definitely don't think Swisher much chance of "winning" the job.

There was never a competition for the 2 hole job. Cashman has said ever since they signed Johnson that they planned to bat him in the 2 hole. Granderson's OBP is not good enough to hit in the 2 hole his career OBP is .344, Johnson's is .402. Swisher's is .357. I would say Swisher should hit 2nd without Johnson in the lineup, but Girardi does a lot of old school by the book unless Cashman tells him where to bat guys (like Johnson).
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby MashinSpuds » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:13 pm

Montana168 wrote:thats really the only way i would own nick johnson right now. if your league counts DH and/or counts walks.

... or batting average, or OPS, or runs and RBIs given the team he's on. So, most stuff.
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 109)

Postby AquaMan2342 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:33 pm

KCollins1304 wrote:
MTUCache wrote:
AquaMan2342 wrote:This is true but I think the competition this spring was between Grandy/Johnson. I would assume Granderson moves up if he's actually hurt.

To be honest, I'm thinking that it was Granderson's job to lose in the first place. They brought him in hoping he was going to win that job, and they're going to give him enough rope to hang himself with there.

I hate to root against Granderson, but I really wouldn't mind seeing NJ in that two-hole as often as possible this season. If that means "platooning" Grandy down to the 6/7-hole against lefties or full-time, either way I definitely don't think Swisher much chance of "winning" the job.

There was never a competition for the 2 hole job. Cashman has said ever since they signed Johnson that they planned to bat him in the 2 hole. Granderson's OBP is not good enough to hit in the 2 hole his career OBP is .344, Johnson's is .402. Swisher's is .357. I would say Swisher should hit 2nd without Johnson in the lineup, but Girardi does a lot of old school by the book unless Cashman tells him where to bat guys (like Johnson).

I'm pretty sure I've read at least a few articles that said it would be between Johnson and Granderson. Not saying it wasn't Johnson's to lose but yeah.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby Inukchuk » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:37 pm

MashinSpuds wrote:
Montana168 wrote:thats really the only way i would own nick johnson right now. if your league counts DH and/or counts walks.

... or batting average, or OPS, or runs and RBIs given the team he's on. So, most stuff.

:-b

I agree. If he can stay healthy, there's little doubt he'll provide great value... ;-D
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby KCollins1304 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:43 pm

AquaMan2342 wrote:
KCollins1304 wrote:
MTUCache wrote:To be honest, I'm thinking that it was Granderson's job to lose in the first place. They brought him in hoping he was going to win that job, and they're going to give him enough rope to hang himself with there.

I'm pretty sure I've read at least a few articles that said it would be between Johnson and Granderson. Not saying it wasn't Johnson's to lose but yeah.

Cashman was on MLB Homeplate one of the first couple weeks of spring training and said and I'm paraphrasing, "We got Nick Johnson to be our number 2 hitter" when questioned by the hosts about Granderson vs. Johnson. I think most of the Granderson in the 2 hole was invented by the media because it confuses them that Granderson is fast and Nick Johnson is slow.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby CharlatanSin » Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:01 pm

KCollins1304 wrote:
Cashman was on MLB Homeplate one of the first couple weeks of spring training and said and I'm paraphrasing, "We got Nick Johnson to be our number 2 hitter" when questioned by the hosts about Granderson vs. Johnson. I think most of the Granderson in the 2 hole was invented by the media because it confuses them that Granderson is fast and Nick Johnson is slow.

Bingo. I'm pretty damn sure he said the same thing when they announced the signing in the first place, too.
She said always remember never to trust me
She said that the first night that she met me
She said "there's gonna be a time when I'm gonna have to go with whoever's gonna get me the highest."
CharlatanSin
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby SpecialFNK » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:06 pm

i dont remember what site i read it on, but some were talking about Granderson batting leadoff for the Yankees. that was NEVER going to happen as long as Jeter is around. people also assume Granderson was going to then bat 2nd because he was hitting in the top of the order for Detroit.
Johnson if healthy is a much better fit for the Yankees and his OBP for them scoring more runs.

im not sure i would want to be using Johnson at 1B which is usually more of a big power position, but im my league i have CI spot and thats where im using Johnson. i supose its also where you drafted Johnson. i got him in a deep league in the 25th round. that could be a huge reward.

i dont think anyone should question wheather Johnson can have good offensive numbers, the question is can he stay healthy enough to be in the lineup full time.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 81)

Postby NikkiSixx » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:24 pm

idk, it seems too good to be true. I just dont see Nick Johnson staying healthy all season, and if he doesnt Im just not sure he will stay in that 2 hole. To be able to get Nick Johnson in he final rounds of a draft and have him hit in the #2 hole all season. It just doesnt seem right. I own him and I am hoping that we see a line just like the one you posted. His HR/FB total last season was 6.2 percent as opposed to his usual 15 percent(ish). So that was a little flawed and we should certainly see more home runs from him this year even if he wasnt playing at yankee stadium. But since he IS playing at yankee stadium and its the best park in the MLB for lefties i dont see why he cant put up power numbers similar to Johnny Damon did with NY or better. At the very least though, if he does end up staying healthy and he does keep that DH slot and stays in the 2 hole... 100 runs should be guaranteed.
NikkiSixx
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 433)

Postby SpecialFNK » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:36 pm

why would Johnson not bat 2nd? he takes alot of walks. in a full season you can pretty much put him down for 100+ BB. Johnson as a LH hitter is also not someone who struggles against LH pitching. he also does not strike out much, compared to Granderson who does strike out alot.
someone who could benefit from Johnson taking pitches/walks could be Jeter to steal more?
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 81)

Postby NikkiSixx » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:43 pm

SpecialFNK wrote:why would Johnson not bat 2nd? he takes alot of walks. in a full season you can pretty much put him down for 100+ BB. Johnson as a LH hitter is also not someone who struggles against LH pitching. he also does not strike out much, compared to Granderson who does strike out alot.
someone who could benefit from Johnson taking pitches/walks could be Jeter to steal more?

While Johnson does walk a lot, he also strikes out quite a bit too, not as much as granderson... but he gets his share. I dont see why he wouldnt bat 2nd, I dont think he will be removed from that spot unless he simply just isnt hitting. Im excited about him, He is extremely undervalued right now and I expect that to change very quickly!
NikkiSixx
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 433)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers