Nick Johnson - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Nick Johnson

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Nick Johnson

Postby ScrappyDoo » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:32 pm

I know he has had injury problems. But his ADP is around 235, so he isn't getting drafted in a lot of leagues. Now I play in a 7x7 H2H league with OBP and SLG, so he is a tad more valuable, but still there aren't a lot of guys with this much upside late in the draft.

There is a lot to like.

DH'ing Full time - Could keep him healthy enough to get 500 AB's.

New Stadium - Short porch can help increase power stroke (see Matsui and Damon last year).

OBP - Regardless of health or not, he gets on base (.426 since 2006) That is an elite OBP and getting on base that many times in front of Tex-ARod-Cano could lead to a large amount of Runs. I know he isn't the fastest guy, but 110 runs is not out of the question.

RBI - The Yanks lineup is stacked, even towards the bottom. Should see a lot of RBI oppurtunities with Gardner, Granderson, Swisher, and Jeter hitting in front of him.

Now if (I know, I know) he can stay healthy. I think he could have the potential put up a line of 110-20-80-2 with .290/.420/.480 ratios. Obviously this depends on the amount of ABs he gets. But if being the DH can keep him healthy he could be a HUGE value in the last two rounds or so.

Thoughts?
ScrappyDoo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Nick Johnson

Postby K_Zone » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:43 pm

I agree on all counts and your line looks right about where i project him at if he gets a healthy chunk of ABs. Super value in any OBP league, he has found his way on the majority of my teams this year with about the last pick or WW pick up. I am confident that if he plays he will produce, career .400 OBP so the counting stats will be there, my homerish side would love to see him hit 20 HR but i think 10-15 is more reasonable.
~Keep it in the K Zone~
K_Zone
College Coach
College Coach

Postby DaSh 1s » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:45 pm

He is two years removed from his wrist injury maybe he can get some more power like Nick Johnson '06 :-L He is going to put the DL on the DL this year. I am more excited about him than Granderson to be honest (in real-life).

In terms of fantasy, its never been a question of his ability, its always been on the fact if he can remain healthy. He has the luxury of being a DH for the first time in his career, and maybe that will help the cause. That line is certainly attainable, but I would drop the HR just to be on the safe in terms of a realistic prediction, if healthy.
B-Chad wrote:Pedroia's LD rate of 20% is reason to believe he'll maintain a higher BA then Cano. It should also be noted he hits more FB's then Cano, which means that even if he posts a lower HR/FB then Cano, he should come in reasonably close to Cano in HR's
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 1)

Postby mt99808 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:55 pm

I'm in a 6x6 league with OBP and was targeting him no matter what after seeing his ADP. The way the draft went I couldn't pass up the value of Pujols, Zimmerman, A-Gon with my top 3 picks. I'm strongly considering trading A-Gon to upgrade my SP or OF and playing Johnson every day.
mt99808
College Coach
College Coach

Postby DaSh 1s » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:00 pm

mt99808 wrote:I'm in a 6x6 league with OBP and was targeting him no matter what after seeing his ADP. The way the draft went I couldn't pass up the value of Pujols, Zimmerman, A-Gon with my top 3 picks. I'm strongly considering trading A-Gon to upgrade my SP or OF and playing Johnson every day.

Keep A Gon, instead of NJ. If A Gon gets traded mid season to a contender, you are looking at a monster.
B-Chad wrote:Pedroia's LD rate of 20% is reason to believe he'll maintain a higher BA then Cano. It should also be noted he hits more FB's then Cano, which means that even if he posts a lower HR/FB then Cano, he should come in reasonably close to Cano in HR's
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby gnarboots11 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:37 pm

Nick Johnson left in the first inning of Friday's game against the Orioles after fouling a ball off his right knee.

He goes down and that means Granderson gets that coveted 2 hole spot in the Yankees lineup?
gnarboots11
College Coach
College Coach

Postby DaSh 1s » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:44 pm

gnarboots11 wrote:Nick Johnson left in the first inning of Friday's game against the Orioles after fouling a ball off his right knee.

He goes down and that means Granderson gets that coveted 2 hole spot in the Yankees lineup?

Whenever Damon was out last year, Girardi moved Swisher to the 2 hole.
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby AquaMan2342 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:08 pm

DaSh 1s wrote:
gnarboots11 wrote:Nick Johnson left in the first inning of Friday's game against the Orioles after fouling a ball off his right knee.

Whenever Damon was out last year, Girardi moved Swisher to the 2 hole.

This is true but I think the competition this spring was between Grandy/Johnson. I would assume Granderson moves up if he's actually hurt.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby MTUCache » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:12 pm

AquaMan2342 wrote:This is true but I think the competition this spring was between Grandy/Johnson. I would assume Granderson moves up if he's actually hurt.

To be honest, I'm thinking that it was Granderson's job to lose in the first place. They brought him in hoping he was going to win that job, and they're going to give him enough rope to hang himself with there.

I hate to root against Granderson, but I really wouldn't mind seeing NJ in that two-hole as often as possible this season. If that means "platooning" Grandy down to the 6/7-hole against lefties or full-time, either way I definitely don't think Swisher much chance of "winning" the job.
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Montana168 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:57 pm

i actually own this dud in a money espn league where we have a DH position. the top 2, really the only 2 studs, at DH were adam lind and julio borbon and both owners reached way higher than i was willing to take them. i have luke scott there rite now, but the league also counts walks and slg, and if he's healthy he can be a beast in walks...had 99 walks in about 400 AB last yr. so he'd basically be a 1 trick pony. usually throughout the season injured AL guys play DH, and i drafted morneau, hoping that he'll play 10 games at DH this season and i'll move him there and much easier to get another 1b. nolan reimold also might become DH elig. is luke scott disappoints or plays 1b, and they start pie is LF and reimold at DH while reimold battles his achilles injury.

thats really the only way i would own nick johnson right now. if your league counts DH and/or counts walks.
Montana168
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers