Please advise me on my team WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Please advise me on my team WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Please advise me on my team WHIR

Postby ecosta36 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:54 am

There are 16 Teams in the league

Here is the scoring

Weekly Scoring Periods
HtH, Number of Categories System
Scoring based on total stats each period

Scoring for Batting Categories

BA-Batting Average
BB-Walks
H-Hits
HR-Homeruns
R-Runs
RBI-Runs Batted In
SB-Stolen Bases
TB-Total Bases

Scoring for Pitching Categories

ERA-Earned Run Average
HD-Holds
K-Strikeouts
L-Losses
QS-Quality Starts
S-Saves
W-Wins

Position Max
Active C 1
Active 1B 1
Active 2B 1
Active 3B 1
Active SS 1
Active LF 1
Active CF 1
Active RF 1
Active DH 1
Active SP 5
Active RP 3

C-Bengie Molina/Chris Iannetta
1B-Adam LaRoche/Steve Pearce
2B-Brian Roberts
3B-Brandon Inge/Chase Headley
SS-Marco Scutaro/Edgar Renteria
OF-Shin-Soo Choo/Hunter Pence/Torii Hunter/Gerardo Parra/Felix Pie/Cameron Maybin

SP-Johnny Cueto/Francisco Liriano/Chris Tillman/Trevor Cahill/Brandon Morrow/
John Maine/Andy Pettitte
RP-Frank Francisco/Carlos Marmol/Octavio Dotel

Prospects
C-
1B-Brandon Snyder/Justin Smoak/Eric Hosmer
2B-
3B-
SS-Wilmer Flores
OF-Josh Reddick

SP-Hector Rondon/Michael Ynoa/Matt Moore/Jake McGee
RP-Michael Bowden
ecosta36
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Please advise me on my team WHIR

Postby ecosta36 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:48 pm

bump
ecosta36
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby ecosta36 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:33 pm

bump

I have been giving my input on some of yours and will put my input on others that give me a link to their's.
ecosta36
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby mythmade » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:53 pm

It is always hard to field a good team in a 16 team league.

Who was your first pick in the draft?

Your outfield looks to be more designed for speed/BA versus Power/RBI's, interesting way to go

Laroche is average at best so I would look to deal Pie or Maybin with hopes of getting a better 1b
mythmade
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby ecosta36 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:06 pm

Thanks mythmade

It was a team I took over for this year. We were also able to keep 20 players from the previous season before the draft.

I had pc problems at draft time so was never able to make it. The draft was at CBS and the commish said the draft was a disaster after about 6 or 7 rounds out of 15 rounds. So they did the rest by chat or something.

any others with input
ecosta36
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby thatguy27 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:33 pm

Well, to put it bluntly, I see why the previous owner ditched this team - you have some serious work to do to fix this squad. And frankly, I don't know where you should begin. I would say you should try to package some big name players for overall depth and upgrades at other positions, but unfortunately, you don't really have any big name guys. Perhaps you can shop Brian Roberts for a lesser 2B and a SP (I'm not high on Roberts, but he may still have enough name value that you can find a buyer). The only place where this team is probably okay is at RP. You'll definitely need to very actively work the waiver wire for hidden gems/upstart players. Be very very aggressive. Normally I err on the side of caution before dropping a known commodity for an unknown, but in your case, I would grab any hot bats as soon as you can and hope for the best - but obviously make sure to grab guys with solid pedigrees, not just any guy who starts out hot. You do have some young upside guys on offense, so I would hold onto them - guys like Headley, Pearce, Maybin - and I would definitely hold onto Pence and Choo. Everyone else, I would try to trade to get younger higher upside players. You aren't going to fix this team in a season, so don't worry too much about this season. Perhaps see what you can get for Hunter - he too may still have enough name value, and short term value to a contending team, that you may be able to get some solid players in return. As for SPs, you have some upside guys, but no one that gets me too excited, save for Liriano. I'd hang onto all of them though as they all have some upside, but don't expect too much and aggressively target other young upside pitchers via trade/WW.

Sorry for the harsh analysis, I call it like I see it. Anyway, I'm sure you know that this team is a huge work in progress. I commend for taking it on and wish you luck in turning it around. It can be very rewarding to turn a team like this into a contender. It will simply take some time.
thatguy27
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 42)

Postby kemper5 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:36 pm

I would go ahead and package 1-2 Bigger named players and upgrade. If you could shop either Hunter, Choo, Roberts or Pence and see what you could get for them it could turn out for the best. Im not huge with LaRoche at 1st. Id try to trade 1-2 of those guys and get 2-4 solid mix or arms or bats in return. See mine

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=405995
kemper5
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby GamerJOW » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:29 pm

Really, OF is the strongest part of your lineup, and it's mostly mid-round guys. Try to package Hunter and Pence for a front of the order SP and a weaker OF, then get busy on the WW for some middle relief to shore up ERA/WHIP a bit. You'll almost certainly need to be active on the WW regularly to cover other positions; for example, LaRoche usually finishes with decent numbers by the end but is almost always trash in April and early May, so you might need someone who qualifies there as a filler until he wakes up.
CLee,Tex, JHamilton, Kinsler, CYoung, Napoli
GamerJOW
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby candyman » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:47 am

thatguy27 wrote:Well, to put it bluntly, I see why the previous owner ditched this team - you have some serious work to do to fix this squad. And frankly, I don't know where you should begin. I would say you should try to package some big name players for overall depth and upgrades at other positions, but unfortunately, you don't really have any big name guys. Perhaps you can shop Brian Roberts for a lesser 2B and a SP (I'm not high on Roberts, but he may still have enough name value that you can find a buyer). The only place where this team is probably okay is at RP. You'll definitely need to very actively work the waiver wire for hidden gems/upstart players. Be very very aggressive. Normally I err on the side of caution before dropping a known commodity for an unknown, but in your case, I would grab any hot bats as soon as you can and hope for the best - but obviously make sure to grab guys with solid pedigrees, not just any guy who starts out hot. You do have some young upside guys on offense, so I would hold onto them - guys like Headley, Pearce, Maybin - and I would definitely hold onto Pence and Choo. Everyone else, I would try to trade to get younger higher upside players. You aren't going to fix this team in a season, so don't worry too much about this season. Perhaps see what you can get for Hunter - he too may still have enough name value, and short term value to a contending team, that you may be able to get some solid players in return. As for SPs, you have some upside guys, but no one that gets me too excited, save for Liriano. I'd hang onto all of them though as they all have some upside, but don't expect too much and aggressively target other young upside pitchers via trade/WW.

Sorry for the harsh analysis, I call it like I see it. Anyway, I'm sure you know that this team is a huge work in progress. I commend for taking it on and wish you luck in turning it around. It can be very rewarding to turn a team like this into a contender. It will simply take some time.

Unfortunately I think thatguy hit the nail on the head. This team isn't set up to comepte this season, and the other owner clearly was in over his head. I'd try to get younger in a hurry. Move your aging talent for some younger high ceiling guys, or solid guys entering their prime.

See what Huinter could get you in return as well as ROBERTS... I think Roberts is really your best bet to acquire some young talent. He's aging quickly, but is still considered an upper tier 2B, so move him for a young gun. You've got what you hope is your long term answer at 1B and 3B in Pearce and Headley ( :-o ). And your OF is in decent shape in terms of age/talent. You could afford to move Hunter as I said before though.

I'd also look to deal Petitte, as he isn't getting any younger, and he could be worth something to a contending team.

Really it sounds bad, but I'd be looking a year + down the road with this team. Move your aging vets and get some young talent in return, try to do well this year, but don't do it at the expense of getting older. This team shouldn't compete this season in all reality, so look towards the future and find some young guys to build around.

Good luck.
candyman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby StealingHome » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:54 am

I agree with what other are posting. FYI, Pie won't be playing fulltime in Baltimore. He'll be splitting time with Noland Riemold.
StealingHome
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 55)

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team