Deep Sleeper OF, Cargoesque numbers possible - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Deep Sleeper OF, Cargoesque numbers possible

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Deep Sleeper OF, Cargoesque numbers possible

Postby KCollins1304 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:44 pm

Someone get a kleenex handy for wr when he finds this thread.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SpecialFNK » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:30 pm

the Padres are known as a team that isnt that good of an offensive team because they play in PETCO, but isnt that more of an effect on their power numbers? if they can be more of an OBP team with alot of running i dont think they are going to be as bad as people think.

i imagine a factor could be David Eckstein. right now he is projected to bat 2nd? is he really someone the Padres should be batting 2nd?
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 81)

Postby smoovethug » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:55 am

His spring stats made me take note. I'm with you on a late-round flier although I do think the projections from the OP are on the high end.

Hal·la·day, n. 1. every fifth day in Philadelphia. 2. a day of rest for the bullpen. 3. innings eater. 4. doc. 5. ace.
smoovethug
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 23)

Postby kab21 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:00 am

You guys missed it. he's working with Dave Roberts and that is the reason that he's going to steal 20 more bases than you would otherwise project for him.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 170)

Postby biesbol » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:02 am

kab21 wrote:You guys missed it. he's working with Dave Roberts and that is the reason that he's going to steal 20 more bases than you would otherwise project for him.

Following this logic, Matt Holliday should hit 50+ HRs this year, too? Maybe Roberts is just teaching Venable how to run the bases more effectively. not necessarily going to translate into steals.
biesbol
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Padsin05 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:30 pm

not a bad first 6 games, for a 24th rounder/waiver pickup

picked up his first steal tonight, I might have shot a little high on that but overall numbers are pretty solid

.296 2hr 1sb, 8runs, 7rbi
Padsin05
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 12)

Postby Padsin05 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:23 pm

biesbol wrote:
kab21 wrote:You guys missed it. he's working with Dave Roberts and that is the reason that he's going to steal 20 more bases than you would otherwise project for him.

Following this logic, Matt Holliday should hit 50+ HRs this year, too? Maybe Roberts is just teaching Venable how to run the bases more effectively. not necessarily going to translate into steals.

him working with Roberts and Holliday working with McGwire are 2 completely different aspects, McGwire isnt gonna make Holliday stronger, but Roberts working on leads and reading pitchers and getting jumps can = more steals.
Padsin05
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Padsin05 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:21 pm

.259 avg 4 hrs, 4sb's not bad

;-D
Padsin05
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Padsin05 » Wed May 19, 2010 11:52 pm

power not here yet, avg a little low but slowly climbing, runs will come, hit leadoff for 1st time tonight, and 3-3 3runs 1 rbi 1 sb so far.

looks like if he leads off runs might hit 80, the 80 rbis might be tough to reach, and the HRs might be tough to hit.

but the steals are a huge bonus 11/12, I predicted 28 and was lambasted, looks like his working with Dave Roberts would truly lead to more steals, and see Headley as well.

anyways he might be getting hot, and definately could have value heading forward. Deep leagues and daily leagues take notice, seems to be sitting vs lefties though so a good platoon situation, although the way the Padres are hitting as a team, if a guy gets hot, he needs to be in there everyday.

with Cargo hitting for a much higher avg, I shoulda made this a BJ Upton comparison its looking like.
Padsin05
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Padsin05 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:15 am

well I got the steals right....

of course who knew Cargoesque would need to be .330 35-25 120rbi
Padsin05
Major League Manager
Major League Manager