Combating Late Season Inactivity in 1-Year Leagues - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Combating Late Season Inactivity in 1-Year Leagues

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Combating Late Season Inactivity in 1-Year Leagues

Postby LMack » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:53 pm

I'm the commissioner of a 10 team roto league whose constituents are all friends. Its a decently competitive league, and has good activity early in the year. But as the season grinds on, the involvement dwindles.

Besides finding new friends, is there anyway I can keep things interesting?
Go Jay Bruce. Credits to Super Manny.
LMack
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Combating Late Season Inactivity in 1-Year Leagues

Postby bigmck » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:32 pm

One thing that I think would help is to make the league an Auction Keeper league. The owners that are out of it in July can make trades of their good high salary talent to the teams at the top for low salary keeper players for the following spring. This keepers owners in the league trying to improve for next year.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 59)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby fantasyfiend » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:54 pm

It's all about the selection process. I would rather have a loyal/hardcore/competitive guy from here at the Cafe rather than a good friend who loses interest mid-way through. Keep the friends who take it seriously, and find serious replacements for those friends who don't.

Nothing beats a league where every single owner is fighting vehemently for placement mid-way through and late in the season.
fantasyfiend
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 12)

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:16 am

Going to a keeper format may help.
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby drtodddds » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:42 am

In a league where $ is involved, you could go to a format where the payout involves not only the winner of the league, but also the winners of each of the individual categories.
There are advantages and disadvantages to doing this however.
You would keep owners active at the end of the season, and this would promote trades and moves on the waiver wire. But this could be at the expense of lopsided trades in an effort to load up on players who contribute to single categories..ie saves or steals. Be careful of this.
The winner of the league will no doubt lead some of the categories, but not all of them. You will see continued activity of owners in the middle of the pack who do have a legitimate chance of winning a category or two.
drtodddds
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 7)

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:27 am

drtodddds wrote:In a league where $ is involved, you could go to a format where the payout involves not only the winner of the league, but also the winners of each of the individual categories.
There are advantages and disadvantages to doing this however.
You would keep owners active at the end of the season, and this would promote trades and moves on the waiver wire. But this could be at the expense of lopsided trades in an effort to load up on players who contribute to single categories..ie saves or steals. Be careful of this.
The winner of the league will no doubt lead some of the categories, but not all of them. You will see continued activity of owners in the middle of the pack who do have a legitimate chance of winning a category or two.

When money is involved, you can absolutely get creative.

One idea that was also floated in a league I'm in was to have the following year's #1 draft pick awarded to the team who had the best improvement in winning percentage year to year. You could do a staggered draft that way where the team with the greatest margin of improvement picks first, the next best team picks second and so on an so on until the league champion picks last.
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Pochucker » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:55 pm

Simple last place team is dropped from league each year. If it were 12team league then drop two.
Pochucker
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:33 pm

Pochucker wrote:Simple last place team is dropped from league each year. If it were 12team league then drop two.

I think the OP wants to encourage participation, not eliminate teams...only a 10 team league to begin with.

Try the Classifieds Forum here at the Cafe too, you should find a lot of interest there in regards to finding guys who will keep up with the season. We had an opening in our keeper league two years ago and this guy responded to the ad I placed. He did a nice job in his first year, kept up with the league ($50 entrance fee) and is back this year.
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Kimbos Beard » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:25 pm

In a 10 team league go to a money format, and structure the payout so that a few teams have a chance to win money.

The idea of paying out money to certain category winners is a nice idea but takes alot of finesse because you don't want to encourage last place teams to just punt a bunch of categories so that they will win money.

You are not alone in your problem believe me. I am not sure if I have ever played in a league where there was not at least one manager who just ends up drifting away....it's life, people get busy, things come up, stuff happens.
Kimbos Beard
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 27)

Postby LMack » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:01 pm

Haha thanks for the help guys. I'm just worried about turning it into a keeper because I've had a problem keeping a 10th manager (two different ones in the past 2 years is a bit of a high turnover rate.) Bouncing around teams between people doesn't seem that appealing to me.

I think I just need to stop doing just this league and a public league or two. I might need to start playing in a real league, and have this one simply be the one I'm doing with my friends.
Go Jay Bruce. Credits to Super Manny.
LMack
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner