Corey Hart's Starting Position in Jeopardy - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Corey Hart's Starting Position in Jeopardy

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Corey Hart's Starting Position in Jeopardy

Postby PBRmeASAP » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:45 pm

Some interesting news coming from Brewers GM Doug Melvin:

Brewers general manager Doug Melvin appeared on the Milwaukee sports radio station WSSP on Tuesday and made some interesting comments about the Brewers outfield. The assumption all along is that the regular starters would be center fielder Carlos Gomez, left fielder Ryan Braun and right fielder Corey Hart. But that projection may only be two-thirds correct.

"It's probably going to be Gomez and Braun and right now we're looking at our other options," Melvin said. "We have more left-handed bats this year so some left-handed hitters may play more often than they have in the past. [Jim] Edmonds has had a good spring. Corey Hart has not had a good spring up to this point. Jody Gerut has struggled.

"We'll wait and see. We'll determine that when the season starts. I think our outfield has a chance to be fairly productive. It's going to be a different look than we've had in the past. There's going to be a little more left-handedness to it, going to be a little more speed, probably not as much power. There's still five days left here and we have that time to make some decisions before we make the final roster."

http://brewersbeat.mlblogs.com/archives ... ed_to.html

It might give some credence to the Dye rumors as well.
PBRmeASAP
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Corey Hart's Starting Position in Jeopardy

Postby WaCougMBS » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:35 am

PBRmeASAP wrote:Some interesting news coming from Brewers GM Doug Melvin:

Brewers general manager Doug Melvin appeared on the Milwaukee sports radio station WSSP on Tuesday and made some interesting comments about the Brewers outfield. The assumption all along is that the regular starters would be center fielder Carlos Gomez, left fielder Ryan Braun and right fielder Corey Hart. But that projection may only be two-thirds correct.

"It's probably going to be Gomez and Braun and right now we're looking at our other options," Melvin said. "We have more left-handed bats this year so some left-handed hitters may play more often than they have in the past. [Jim] Edmonds has had a good spring. Corey Hart has not had a good spring up to this point. Jody Gerut has struggled.

"We'll wait and see. We'll determine that when the season starts. I think our outfield has a chance to be fairly productive. It's going to be a different look than we've had in the past. There's going to be a little more left-handedness to it, going to be a little more speed, probably not as much power. There's still five days left here and we have that time to make some decisions before we make the final roster."

http://brewersbeat.mlblogs.com/archives ... ed_to.html

It might give some credence to the Dye rumors as well.

I don't see how Edmonds playing some will really have his "spot in jeopardy", but any significant loss of ABs will temper the expectations many (including me) have for him...
2012 H2HWS West A champion
WaCougMBS
Radio Pimp
Radio Pimp

Radio PimpEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafecasterFootball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)

Postby PBRmeASAP » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:14 am

The Brewers also have Jody Gerut who is another LH hitter off the bench. Even if the Dye rumors are bunk, I still think Hart could be in for platoon if he struggles out of the gates. To top it off Hart looks lost out there in spring training. If you have him, trade him now while he still has some value.

This is the hardcore Brewers fan forum and multiple posters are just trashing the guy, it doesn't look good for Hart this season:

http://brewersfandemonium.yuku.com/topic/21779
PBRmeASAP
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Oatsdad » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:33 pm

I saw a bunch of folks touting Hart as a good pickup for a bounceback year, but threads like this make me happy I passed. I've been burned by Hart too much in the past to trust him - he just seems like a player with lots of potential who can't put it together...
Oatsdad
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bazzy_51 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:49 pm

PBRmeASAP wrote:The Brewers also have Jody Gerut who is another LH hitter off the bench. Even if the Dye rumors are bunk, I still think Hart could be in for platoon if he struggles out of the gates. To top it off Hart looks lost out there in spring training. If you have him, trade him now while he still has some value.

This is the hardcore Brewers fan forum and multiple posters are just trashing the guy, it doesn't look good for Hart this season:

And exactly what fan doesn't trash a player from their team when they aren't producing 'like they think they should'?

Point blank I think Washington has just as legit shot at Dye as the Brewers do, and Dye would favor more for Washington cuz hes looking for a starting job, not a platoon/pine riding...

Great thanks to soto for the sweet sig!...
bazzy_51
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby PBRmeASAP » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:31 pm

bazzy_51 wrote:
PBRmeASAP wrote:The Brewers also have Jody Gerut who is another LH hitter off the bench. Even if the Dye rumors are bunk, I still think Hart could be in for platoon if he struggles out of the gates. To top it off Hart looks lost out there in spring training. If you have him, trade him now while he still has some value.

And exactly what fan doesn't trash a player from their team when they aren't producing 'like they think they should'?

Point blank I think Washington has just as legit shot at Dye as the Brewers do, and Dye would favor more for Washington cuz hes looking for a starting job, not a platoon/pine riding...

We have one guy pimping the Dye story so who knows how legit it really is. However, the Brewers do have other options for RF without bringing in Dye. Specifically Edmunds who has had a very good spring, and Gerut. Both LH hitters in a predominantly RH hitting lineup. I'm not saying Hart is washed up, but temper your expectations, he might not even be the opening day starter in RF come Monday.
PBRmeASAP
College Coach
College Coach

Postby BEN2074X » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:02 pm

Gerut has been horrible this spring, batting .160 over 50 AB's so he shouldn't be an issue. Edmonds on the other hand could steal AB's if Hart is slow out of the gate. not good for people ,like myself, who put a little faith in a bounce back for Hart
BEN2074X
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby PBRmeASAP » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:31 pm

More on Hart:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd ... Id=rss_mil

PHOENIX -- Brewers manager Ken Macha confirmed what general manager Doug Melvin hinted on Tuesday: That Jim Edmonds, and not Corey Hart, could very well be the team's Opening Day right fielder.

The choice will depend partly on whether Hart shows any signs of life at the plate in the Brewers' final four Spring Training games and partly on when Edmonds rejoins the team. He traveled home on Monday night to tend to an urgent family matter and, as of Wednesday morning, Macha wasn't sure when Edmonds would be able to return.

I agree that Edmunds is the guy who will steal most of the AB's from Hart.
PBRmeASAP
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Injuries & Player Updates