Minimum IP for WHIP and ERA?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Minimum IP for WHIP and ERA??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Minimum IP for WHIP and ERA??

Postby Bferryvt » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:36 pm

What's a good minimum to set to qualify for WHIP and ERA? I don't think anyone in their right minds will be punting pitching altogether in a 6x6 h2h, but I need to have something in place. What's standard? 20?
Bferryvt
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Minimum IP for WHIP and ERA??

Postby bigmck » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:50 pm

If your 20 refers to games started, that is too high. I don't think the GS should be any higher than 12 per week. You need to put a limit to stop streaming. I prefer 9 myself.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 60)

Postby Bferryvt » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:51 pm

Sorry no, I was referring to IP, not complete games.
Bferryvt
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bigmck » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:54 pm

I don't think you need to worry about a minimum IP. If some guy is going with all relievers, he is going to lose Wins and Strikeouts so I don't see the benefit.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 60)

Postby Bferryvt » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:57 pm

if there's no minimum, I can pitch Neftali Feliz for 1 inning, get a zero WHIP zero ERA, and focus all the rest of my team on offense for the week. Thats a huge loophole for anyone interested in it.
Bferryvt
College Coach
College Coach

Postby MTUCache » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:04 pm

bigmck wrote:I don't think you need to worry about a minimum IP. If some guy is going with all relievers, he is going to lose Wins and Strikeouts so I don't see the benefit.

Wrong. With the right lineup settings, I have easily gotten away with destroying entire leagues (both H2H and roto) just based on using a good MR-strategy.

In a weekly H2H league with no minimum IP, it is definitely a viable strategy to punt Wins (not necessarily even punting strikeouts if you have the right closers and MR) and to consistently dominate ratio categories. It's risky, and you will end up with weeks where you blow up and lose all the pitching categories, but in the long-run I think it's definitely something that should be on a commish's radar when he's creating the league. When you add in another pitching category that doesn't benefit starters (like QS), it gets even more viable. If I'm in a league that using a negative category (like Losses or ER), or a Holds league that benefits relievers, I'm even more encouraged to do it.

If you want someone to field an actual team of pitchers, and intend for them to have at least 3 SP per week, an IP minimum of 20 is about right. If you want people to pitch full-staffs of 4+SP, 3+RPs, I may even go higher than that.
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Bferryvt » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:10 pm

Agreed, we have Wins QS K's ERA WHIP and Saves, and without enforcing, it is easy to throw one pitcher out there, get your ERA and WHIP low, and trade your pitching staff to upgrade all of your offense, pretty much guarenteeing 7 or 8 categories a week. I set it to 20 for now, I don't really care if they throw 2 RP's or 6, as long as they are pitching enough to get semi-legitimate WHIP/ERA numbers and aren't mortgaging their pitching to stack their offense. Thanks guys
Bferryvt
College Coach
College Coach

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:23 am

Bferryvt wrote:Agreed, we have Wins QS K's ERA WHIP and Saves, and without enforcing, it is easy to throw one pitcher out there, get your ERA and WHIP low, and trade your pitching staff to upgrade all of your offense, pretty much guarenteeing 7 or 8 categories a week. I set it to 20 for now, I don't really care if they throw 2 RP's or 6, as long as they are pitching enough to get semi-legitimate WHIP/ERA numbers and aren't mortgaging their pitching to stack their offense. Thanks guys

We use 30 innings on a weekly basis and have now for several years. We go with 4 SP, 2 RP and 2 P. We use W, L, CG, SH, SV, HLD, K, ERA, WHIP, K/BB and Hits Allowed. The innings cap has always worked well for us and it's forced all teams to have a good mix of pitchers.
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby AS52 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:36 pm

What about a league with these type of settings
3 SP
2 RP
3 P

W-L-ERA-WHIP-K-BB-HR-SV+HLD

Would going the MR/Closer route be a good play?
AS52
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby High and Inside » Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:24 pm

We use 35 IP for the week ;-D
High and Inside
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Commissioner's Corner