When is Strasburg rumored to be called up? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

When is Strasburg rumored to be called up?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

When is Strasburg rumored to be called up?

Postby bengbrewer » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:25 pm

Does anyone have a guess?
bengbrewer
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Re: When is Strasburg rumored to be called up?

Postby Joe Mauer » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:52 pm

bengbrewer wrote:Does anyone have a guess?

I'll lodge my armchair guess. I will guess early June.

But that is just a guess and any insights offered will be just that, guesses.

Let's assume he goes down to the minors and just tears crap up, is the pitching God that he is and perfects in short order what they want him to. They still will be a crappy team in the majors this year and have almost zero probability (statistically speaking) of making the playoffs this season. He was one if not the best SP for them in camp, and he was sent to the minors. Reason would be to delay his arbitration clock a season hopefully. Traditionally top prospects get called up in early June if they were sent to the minors but were really ready to make a go of it in the majors from spring training and of course if there is a spot for them in the majors. Strasburg fits this mold.

Could he be called up earlier? Sure, if the Nationals management deems it worthy of risking his being arbitration eligible a year earlier than if they had waited a little longer. I really don't see that happening.

Could he spend a longer amount of time in the minors and not be called up till late June, July....September? Sure. He could unexpectably struggle in the minors which would delay his call-up date for sure. Not likely, but, entirely possible.

Basically, plug any top prospect that seems "ready" for the majors now who seemingly has a realistic way to eventually get on the major league team this year into this statement. Sometime early June.

I hope this did not come off as condescending, as, that was not it's intent. It just is one of those questions that is merely a guess answer. But if I were guessing.....or betting on it, which, in a sort of way is what fantasy sports is.......I would say early June. Same for Posey, Santana, etc....

Pierz,Castro,Tulo,Espinosa,Gyorko,Goldschmidt,Encarna,Howard,Carter,Cespedes,Marte,Soriano,Brown,Ludwick,Smoak
Strasbg,King F,Harvey,Scherzer,Teheran,Street,Jansen,Hernandez
BA 5,HR 9.5,R 4,RBI 6,SB 2,ERA 12,H+S 8,K 11,W 7.5,WHIP 11,TOT 76 pt 3rd
Joe Mauer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Standing outside the Metrodome singing "We're going to win Twins, We're going to score...."

Postby Oatsdad » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:38 pm

I'm also in the "June" camp. I think he stays in the minors past June only if a) the Nats' five starters all play so well they don't need him - ha! - or b) Strasburg really, really, struggles in the minors. Both seem pretty unlikely - I think as long as Strasburg plays okay in the minors, he'll be a Nat by June 15...
Oatsdad
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby dc928 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:47 pm

I say early June, once he hits his eligability he will be up. There is no hurry for Washinginton to call him up, I mean it is not like they will be competitive or anything.
dc928
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby san76er » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:47 pm

Until a few weeks ago I really thought Strasburg would be called up sometime in May. But the Nats have around 18 million ($$$) reasons to make sure that Strasburg doesn't attain Super-2 status.

Here is an article from the Washington Post that explains Strasburg's situation fairly well. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/03/19/AR2010031904323.html

The Nats are going to be a bad team of course, so there will be no incentive to call him up early to help their playoff chances. I think there are only 2 plausible reasons why Strasburg would be called up before June/mid-June.

1) He so thoroughly dominates minor league ball to the point that it is not even a challenge to him....and by not calling him up the Nats would actually be impeding his progress by forcing him to play against inferior competition.

2)The Nats feel that the potential boost in attendence, merchandising, etc....would be comparable to that previously mentioned number of 18 million dollars that Strasburg stands to gain if he reaches Super-2 status.

I would say that the secound scenario seems more likely. But in reality I don't expect Strasburg until June.
san76er
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby wildbill » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:53 pm

I wouldn't be shocked if he didn't come up until July, but yeah June at the absolute earliest. Also I'm thinking he gets shut down for the season in mid September at the latest and possibly for the whole month of September. They aren't going to risk their future by having him throw too many innings this year. Think 90 - 100 innings at most in the majors or about half a season worth of starts. Also if you're in a H2H league don't count on him for the playoffs.
wildbill
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Injuries & Player Updates