Buster Posey - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Buster Posey

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Buster Posey

Postby petert » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:00 am

Cant find any news on him....does he have a chance to play this year at least half the games?
I picked him up as my #2 catcher. I read he may play infield which would be SWEET.
petert
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Buster Posey

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:07 am

He'll start the season in the minors. I think playing him in the infield is pretty stupid but it is the Giants so you never know.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 353)

Postby Homoudont » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:05 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:He'll start the season in the minors. I think playing him in the infield is pretty stupid but it is the Giants so you never know.

You know he played SS in college. He has more time in the infield then behind the plate, he's a converted catcher. Posey playing first or 3rd wouldn't be a stretch.
Homoudont
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Little Lee » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:07 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:He'll start the season in the minors. I think playing him in the infield is pretty stupid but it is the Giants so you never know.

Do you have a link to the news that he is starting the year in the minors? I can't find it.
"A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore."
Yogi Berra
Little Lee
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bazzy_51 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:51 pm

I don't have a link either to say that Posey will for sure start the year in the minors, we probably won't get one until the rosters are named. But the big key contributing factor to him starting in the minors is as simple as San Fran bringing Molina back for another season. Plus he still needs to work on his D, yes his bat is sweet and Molina is aging everyday, but Molina still put up respectable numbers last year and still edges Posey on the defensive side of the token.

Actually best case senerio to see him in the Majors sooner, outside of injuries, is if they shift him to 1B some. As I don't see Huff being the answer at 1B. But again I think they are committed to Posey being their catcher of the future, not 1B of the future, so for that major reason he will start in the minors to sure up his REAL baseball skill (not Fantasy) and that is defense. Remember Posey has only been catching for just under 5 years now, so its not like hes just not that good after playing the position for years, its that hes not that good yet because hes learning the position.

Great thanks to soto for the sweet sig!...
bazzy_51
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby stcardinal » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:56 pm

He's warning the bench. The giants haven't decided if they will send him to the minors yet. It depends on how well everyone else does. But if he does play it'd just be as a filler role either as a catcher or 1st. But he won't play everyday.
stcardinal
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Little Lee » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:50 pm

stcardinal wrote:He's warning the bench. The giants haven't decided if they will send him to the minors yet. It depends on how well everyone else does. But if he does play it'd just be as a filler role either as a catcher or 1st. But he won't play everyday.

They won't keep him up to ride the bench
"A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore."
Yogi Berra
Little Lee
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bazzy_51 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:12 pm

Little Lee wrote:
stcardinal wrote:He's warning the bench. The giants haven't decided if they will send him to the minors yet. It depends on how well everyone else does. But if he does play it'd just be as a filler role either as a catcher or 1st. But he won't play everyday.

They won't keep him up to ride the bench

+1... If they just want him up to ride pine they will send him back down to refine his behind the plate skills to become more valuable. Also its not like organizations just don't care about their minor league teams, they want them to win just as much as the big league clubs, so it would also help the minors for what its worth, if hes not ready to play everyday on the big club...

Great thanks to soto for the sweet sig!...
bazzy_51
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby RDD15 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:57 pm

One disagreement. The Major League teams do not care about their Minor League teams "just as much" as the Major League team as far as win/loss goes, and it isn't even close. The parent club will help the affiliates out some and they do try to put decent teams on the field in the minors, but never at the expense of the major league club's performance.

Not saying that the 25 best players in an organization are always on the big club, but when that happens it is for the future health of the major league club, not for the current success of the affiliate.
RDD15
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer

Postby flooredyas » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:31 am

Optioned to the minors
flooredyas
College Coach
College Coach