I take this deal for a couple of reasons. One it would then get Blanton of my squad
jk, but that would be the player I would cut to do the deal...
1. Your looking at 2 pitchers in Cain and Nolasco that both have the ability to K in the upper 190s and for Nolasco if he puts to together a whole year like the 2nd half last year will EASILY K 210-220.
2. Even with the year Nolasco started out with last year he still managed to win 13 games, AND only Lossed 9 games, when in the 31 games he started he gave up 3 runs or more in more then half of those.
3. Cain figured out quite a bit last year and that sub 3 ERA is stout, and I think very legit.
4. CC, yes ST is ST, but look at the end of last year, he had a few very shaky starts at best, and thats translating into a theme coming into this year.
5. CC is a big time horse, yes he sure is, but how many more years is he going to be able to go for 220+IP, hes already on three straight, and 2 of those are 240+, 2007-241+, 2008-250+ and 2009-230. Hes big and he can handle many innings, but theres going to come a time when those innings will wear on that arm.
Quite frankly I usually say NO to giving up the best player in the deal, but in this case like said earlier you can't go wrong getting 2 top 20 arms for 1 top 10 arm. Plus the upside of Nolasco is crazy, again if he can put together a healthy FULL year of what he did in the second half last year then I don't think 16-18 wins with 210+Ks and an era in the neighborhood of 3.30-3.50 is out of the question. Looking at a line of 17w/210K/3.40ERA/1.18WHIP really isn't that far off of CC's 19w/200K/3.35ERA/1.15WHIP that he threw last year.
I say take the deal, its higher risk, but HUGE reward....