Rafael Soriano - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Rafael Soriano

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Rafael Soriano

Postby mktgteach » Tue May 21, 2002 6:51 pm

It was just announced that this guy is going to be inserted into the starting lineup. Any Mariner fan out there that has been following this guy? I know that he is supposed to be good, but is he a John Halama type or a Freddy Garcia type?

Bottom line......what's the scoop?

I'm out! ;-D
Go Hokies!
mktgteach
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Arlo » Tue May 21, 2002 7:01 pm

He isn't exactly like either, but he's much more a Garcia type than another Halama. Soriano has terrific stuff, a good feel for the game, and aside from looking sharp in the pen, performed well in the Texas League, which isn't easy. His only downside is a history of arm trouble, which led some to think he would be a career reliever.

If he can stay healthy and withstand the increased pressure, he'll be the real deal.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby chuckr37 » Sat May 25, 2002 5:45 pm

I have seen him pitch a couple of times now and the thing that stands out to me is the way he mixes up his pitches. Just watching him makes me think he must have learned a few things from Moyer. Heres my prediction for his start tonight 6 inn 4 hits no runs 1 walk and 7 k's. I think its about time for Boone to come out of his hitting slump he will go yard twice tonight, in a Mariner romp. (Don't hold me to any of this it could be a dream im having) :->
chuckr37
College Coach
College Coach

Postby mm92280 » Sat May 25, 2002 6:44 pm

one good fantasy tip for the past year=decent starter for Seattle=above average fantsy starter. Look at Paul Abbott last year, and James Baldwin at certain points this year, and Soriano is definitely better than either of them.
mm92280
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Arlo » Sun May 26, 2002 6:48 am

Agreed. The park factor, Seattle's run production and their excellent bullpen must be very reassuring for their starters.

And oh well - the hits part of the prediction was right... :-D
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby chuckr37 » Wed Jun 05, 2002 2:43 pm

Last night Soriano pitched a very good game with the exception of two pitches both to Chavez which got deposited in the seats for HR's both solo shots at that. Those were the only two hits he gave up and although he issued two walks one of those seemed like the ump had his eyes closed for ball four (just my opinion, Ive learned from Lou that you can't argue balls and strikes :-> ) The M's lost the game on a combination of some of the most horrible base running I have ever seen and a somewhat drawn in outfield with men on first and second with one out. Jermaine Dye was on second base with Terrance Long at the plate and Cameron let a ball get over his head in center field and Dye pretty much limped home from second base. I wont go to far into the details of the baserunning but if you are on first base and a ball is hit to the outfield and appears to be caught, if you head back to first base and the batter is screaming at you and pointing for you to go back to second you don't go back to first base and stand there with a stupid look on your face.
Anyway the point of this is Soriano looks real good on the mound, good control, he fields the position well and he going to give you 7 or more innings most nights. :-b
chuckr37
College Coach
College Coach

soriano

Postby Yeaok » Tue Jun 11, 2002 4:41 pm

You can tell that he tires in the 7th inning and beyond that. Hes good but just not a guy for complete games and shutouts.
Yeaok

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Return to Baseball Leftovers