keeper league questions - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

keeper league questions

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

keeper league questions

Postby dubstar » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:12 am

we started a keeper league last year, this is our second year. we decided to keep players at their draft position from last year, and players picked up off the WW were kept as our last round pick. here are my questions:

do most leagues move players up around or 2 the following years? or can someone have Hanson as their last pick for years to come? I can see both sides, for the later round picks it makes sense, but the early rounds it doesn't for most players.

it seems like years going forward drafted players aren't going in rounds they should. for example, my first round pick was Pedroia since 40 players were already off the board. it seems like everything from here on out will be skewed, there is no way i would ever keep him in Round 1.

any other things with keeper leagues that come up a couple of years into the league that i should know?

thanks!
dubstar
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: keeper league questions

Postby Kimbos Beard » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:28 pm

dubstar wrote:
do most leagues move players up around or 2 the following years? or can someone have Hanson as their last pick for years to come? I can see both sides, for the later round picks it makes sense, but the early rounds it doesn't for most players.

There are so many different formats out there it is hard to say.

Sometimes leagues will move up draft picks a certain amount of rounds each year. So anyone drafted round 14-20 gets moved up 3 rounds, anyone from 10-13 gets moved up 2 rounds and so on and so forth.

Sometimes leagues wont do that but will limit the amount of years someone can keep a player.

There really is no correct answer. You best bet is to chat with your managers and see what they think and just work it out. I happen to agree with you....you don't want to spend the last rounds of your draft taking every halfway decent prospect so that if he pans out you can keep him forever with the 26th pick.
Kimbos Beard
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 27)

Re: keeper league questions

Postby Bobbleheadrusty » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:37 pm

I always liked the 2 rounds a year rule (3 if you have deep rosters). That way you can keep guys for a few years cheap, then have to make the call on value. Plus it keeps the top couple rounds in circulation, since guys cant be kept if they were 1st or 2nd they year before.
Bobbleheadrusty
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Commissioner's Corner