New to forum, need help with keeper league - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

New to forum, need help with keeper league

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

New to forum, need help with keeper league

Postby And14theDr » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:43 am

As my subject suggests, I am new to this forum and I had a question about running a Yahoo league with keepers. My league has been together for 6 years, and we just agreed to having 3 keepers per season. My question is, how do I set up the rules for keepers? Because it is a new format for our league, I didn't want to have the "lucky" person who drew the number 1 pick have the ability to draft and keep the best player for years to come. So I instituted a rule saying that no one drafted before the 7th round will be allowed "keeper" status. Beyond that, I'm kind of at a lost. Any suggestions or links to how these leagues are normally run would be very helpful and I apologize if this subject has already been discussed. Thanks.
And14theDr
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: New to forum, need help with keeper league

Postby courduroy » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:27 am

I think you are on the right track but most keeper leagues use inflation to limit the ability of owners to keep the best players for long periods of time. ie Players are able to be retained at round minus three (a player drafted in the 8th round last year is a 5th round keeper this year; any player drafted in the first three rounds would be unable to be kept)

There are tons of ways to tweak inflation rules and each league is different. Three rounds is probably the average for draft inflation but some leagues use 2 some as many as 5. Typically I see free agents being able to be kept somewhere in rounds 4-8. It is more work for the commish but a lot of leagues also cap the years a player can be kept before he has to be redrafted.

Honestly, keeper leagues tend to evolve. The first year will always be the toughest and the grass is always greener on the other side but the best thing is to change the rule if it isn't workign for your league. Poll the other owners see what they want to do.
courduroy
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Commissioner's Corner