Stud starting pitchers, but should I keep my offense intact? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Stud starting pitchers, but should I keep my offense intact?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Stud starting pitchers, but should I keep my offense intact?

Postby giants8307 » Mon Mar 22, 2004 3:32 am

My Team

C J. Kendall (Pit - C)
1B D. Ortiz (Bos - 1B,DH)
2B M. Giles (Atl - 2B)
3B E. Chávez (Oak - 3B)
SS C. Guzmán
OF V. Guerrero (Ana - RF)
OF G. Anderson (Ana - LF,DH)
OF J. Drew (Atl - CF,RF)
Util M. Grissom (SF - CF)
BN R. Durham (SF - 2B)
BN M. Ensberg (Hou - 3B)
BN M. Bradley (Cle - CF)

SP M. Prior (ChC - SP)
SP C. Schilling (Bos - SP)
P K. Millwood (Phi - SP)
P R. Oswalt (Hou - SP)
P J. Washburn (Ana - SP)
RP B. Donnelly (Ana - RP)
RP J. Valverde (Ari - RP)
BN J. Peavy (SD - SP)
BN B. Myers (Phi - SP)

I like how my draft turned out, although I do need a closer. I'm trying to claim braden looper off waivers, for Valverde. I'm also trying to trade Ortiz in a package deal for sexson. Any other suggestions or analysis of how I'll compete?
giants8307
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby inkubus » Mon Mar 22, 2004 5:16 am

You could punt saves and trade for a good SS.
inkubus
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Graphics Expert

Postby WharfRat » Mon Mar 22, 2004 9:48 am

Your rotation is nasty. I've never liked the idea of punting saves, but in your case I doubt you'll need them. Valverde and Donnelly are both guys worth hanging onto, because Mantei and Percival are injury risks. Ensberg should get good value once he starts producing this year, and I predict Bradley will leapfrog into your 3rd OF position, if he can stay healthy. What's the package deal w/ortiz? I hope you're not losing too much for Sexson, don't underrate Ortiz.
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

did you mean 6 team league??

Postby themonster » Mon Mar 22, 2004 10:45 am

I don't think what you do will make much difference....if you were able to get all those 1st/2nd rounders and a guy like looper is still left undrafted I don't think you have much competition!!!
....I agree about bradley.
themonster Beginner
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Entropy! » Mon Mar 22, 2004 11:10 am

Offense looks good. I agree with the above, Ensberg will definitely be a potential blue-chip to trade, maybe for that RP help. If you do get Looper off waivers (which DOES call into question the smarts of your other managers, IMO) and are willing to deal Ensberg, you probably wouldn't have to punt saves at all - you could probably wind up in the middle of the pack save-wise without hurting any of your other categories.

A couple of thoughts about Oritz:

First off, don't dilute his value by offering Ortiz in a 3-for-1 deal for Sexson right off the bat. Play a little hard to get with him. If the guy who owns Sexson isn't biting, go after Giambi, Thome, Delgado, or Lee. You should be able to get one of those guys in a 2-for-1 or 2-for-2 deal. That being said...

If push comes to shove, I'd do a 3-for-2, maybe even a 3-for-1 deal to get one of those top 1B. Ortiz will PROBABLY never be valued as highly as he his right now. His 2nd half was killer, but his first half was nothing special, and that second half was really the first time he's ever produced like that.

Look at it this way: If your 1B is giving you a .290/30/100 line, then you're only treading water at the position. That's what Ortiz gave you last year, and that was very possibly a career year for him. Get the surer thing if you can.
Entropy!

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Entropy! » Mon Mar 22, 2004 11:13 am

Couple other thoughts:

If Drew gets off to a hot start, consider dealing him for some steals. Grissom doesn't do it any more, and even with Wilkerson playing everyday, you'll probably be hurting in the SB department. I'd consider dealing Millwood and Guzman for a slight drop-off at SP and an upgrade as SS - try for Furcal, Reyes, Matsui, or Cabrera.
Entropy!

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby giants8307 » Mon Mar 22, 2004 2:27 pm

My thought exactly was that Ortiz's value would never be this high again. The deal I proposed was ortiz/ensberg/myers for sexson/tony batista/garland. It probably won't go through, but I'm thinking of offering millwood after that. However, ensberg is way better than batista, and myers is way better than garland. So, maybe. If I get batista I'll probably drop him and claim jody gerut, who is a FA.
I was also thinking of getting reyes, until I found out he probably won't be ready for opening day. I might trade for him if he gets healthy.
I don't really want to destroy my rotation, since it's good enough to win in almost every category. I found out I would probably have to deal prior/schilling or schilling/millwood for + someone else to get pujols. So thats out of the question. I'm thinking a lot about de. Lee though, he seems solid.
giants8307
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team