Return to Baseball Leftovers

troy glaus opinions

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: troy glaus opinions

Postby biesbol » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:05 am

default Yahoo listing is IF
default Sportsline listing is 3B
default ESPN listing is 3B

I think I"m going to pick this guy up. I have Figgins at 3B right now in a H2H league. I've got great overall team speed, and could use the 20+ HRs out of the 3B position. So who do I drop to add Glaus? Chris Davis is third on my 1B depth chart behind Votto and Miggy. Or, I drop Torii Hunter from my OF (behind Werth, J Upton, Bruce, Ad. Jones). I'm leaning Davis.
biesbol
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby markj11 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:28 am

Yeah, I'm waiting for Carlos Beltron, Brandon Webb, or Kerry Wood to be DLed so I can pick him up.
I ain't askin' nobody for nothin, If I can't get it on my own. - Charlie Daniels
markj11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby hybrid » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:07 pm

Matthias wrote:Conor because there is no reason that this can't be his breakout year and he's hitting #1 or #2 in a decent lineup.

I'd say lack of power is a very good reason he will never truly be that fantasy relevant.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Matthias » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:35 pm

hybrid wrote:
Matthias wrote:Conor because there is no reason that this can't be his breakout year and he's hitting #1 or #2 in a decent lineup.

I'd say lack of power is a very good reason he will never truly be that fantasy relevant.

Fantasy relevance depends upon league settings and league size.

If you're playing in a 10 team, 3OF, 5x5 league, you can probably pass him by. But you could also say that for a number of guys who are hot commodities in other places.

If you're playing in an OBP league, Conor's value jumps. And in 2008, which was his last healthy year and when he was 26, he was 35th for MLB OF'ers in Total Bases. Given that he was a breakout candidate last year before his flukish flu virus and there's no reason to think that it adversely affected him this year, he could have decent power, along with a good AVG, great OBP, good R &RBI, and maybe 15 or more SB.

In the leagues that I play in, that is fantasy relevant.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:27 pm

Matthias wrote:I don't know if I'd project 30hr but Glaus is one of the three players that I think are being criminally undervalued this season. He's hitting cleanup in a potent offense, he's obviously had success in the past, and has had a good Spring Training. And he's going over a hundred spots lower than Mark DeRosa.

Even if he only hits 15 HRs as long as he hits over .280 and has close to 100 RBIs I'll be happy. And based on where he's being drafted, so should you.

.280? I don't see anyway that happens. He's a career .255 hitter who's hit over .280 just once back in 2000.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 381)

Postby Matthias » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:34 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
Matthias wrote:I don't know if I'd project 30hr but Glaus is one of the three players that I think are being criminally undervalued this season. He's hitting cleanup in a potent offense, he's obviously had success in the past, and has had a good Spring Training. And he's going over a hundred spots lower than Mark DeRosa.

Even if he only hits 15 HRs as long as he hits over .280 and has close to 100 RBIs I'll be happy. And based on where he's being drafted, so should you.

.280? I don't see anyway that happens. He's a career .255 hitter who's hit over .280 just once back in 2000.

He seems to have traded power for contact this spring. Whether it lasts, we'll see.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Matthias » Sat May 22, 2010 1:58 pm

Matthias wrote:
reiser wrote:
Matthias wrote:I don't know if I'd project 30hr but Glaus is one of the three players that I think are being criminally undervalued this season.

I'll bite...who you got? I love overlooked value picks. If Dye should sign with the Nats, or anyone for that matter I will be all over it. Burrell in the 400's? I mean I hate the guy too, but who else is gonna get you 30 homers in the 25th round?

I mention one of them in the Undervalued thread, but they are Conor Jackson and Vlad. Vlad for many of the same reasons as Glaus; Conor because there is no reason that this can't be his breakout year and he's hitting #1 or #2 in a decent lineup.

*bump* for shameless self-promotion. :-D ;-)

Now if Conor can heat up, we'll have hit the trifecta.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Ursa » Sat May 22, 2010 4:35 pm

Matthias wrote:*bump* for shameless self-promotion. :-D ;-)

Now if Conor can heat up, we'll have hit the trifecta.

Hats off to you. I picked up Glaus in the 20th and penultimate round of a 16 team league and had him on the bench at first. Since May began, I've trundled him out at UTIL and he's been great. It would be nice if he made a few 3B appearances but that's OK, gotta love his production at overall pick #310.
Ursa
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers