Francisco Liriano. start or close? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Francisco Liriano. start or close?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Francisco Liriano. start or close?

Postby SpecialFNK » Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:38 pm

anyone have any insight on the situation with Liriano? start/close?
i was all sure he was going to nail down the final spot in the rotation and then i read this on yahoo news..
Mar 26 LHP Francisco Liriano, who has closer pitches and can dominate hitters with his nasty slider, appeared to be the leading in-house candidate to replace injured closer Joe Nathan, who underwent season-ending Tommy John surgery. The Twins, though, continued to look outside the organization for a possible trade.

as im writing this watching the Cubs game in the 10th inning the announcer says the Twins have been mentioned in wanting Heath Bell from San Diego.

should i still expect Liriano to start?
in my league ive been waiting because if Liriano is going to start then im going to want another closer (Papelbon/Franklin) but if he closes then ill look for another starter.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 81)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby fezzik » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:23 pm

I'm quite confident he's going to be a starter. He's had a dominant spring. If they wanted him to close they wouldn't be looking for a trade. Plus, he has more value as a starter with how he's been pitching. Lastly, he's not used to coming out of the pen and doesn't want to do it...
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby Joe Mauer » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:08 am

fezzik wrote:I'm quite confident he's going to be a starter. He's had a dominant spring. If they wanted him to close they wouldn't be looking for a trade. Plus, he has more value as a starter with how he's been pitching. Lastly, he's not used to coming out of the pen and doesn't want to do it...

I am in the heart of Twins Territory and very much a fan, so, I echo these comments with 100 percent confidence. In fact, it would be shocking after his winter ball and spring training if he did not emerge as the No. 5 SP. Everything I read suggests he will be in the rotation and everything I read has me believing he will not be closing, at least, initially.

Pierz,Castro,Tulo,Espinosa,Gyorko,Goldschmidt,Encarna,Howard,Carter,Cespedes,Marte,Soriano,Brown,Ludwick,Smoak
Strasbg,King F,Harvey,Scherzer,Teheran,Street,Jansen,Hernandez
BA 5,HR 9.5,R 4,RBI 6,SB 2,ERA 12,H+S 8,K 11,W 7.5,WHIP 11,TOT 76 pt 3rd
Joe Mauer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 5)
Location: Standing outside the Metrodome singing "We're going to win Twins, We're going to score...."

Postby kab21 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:46 am

At this point the only way he isn't a starter is if he pitches like it's 2009. If he's sitting there with a 5.50 ERA in June he'll get moved to the bullpen and then he'll have to have success to move into the closer's role. But right now everything says that he's going to rebound this year. Although I'm trying not to get my hopes up too high.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 171)

Postby SpecialFNK » Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:53 pm

this latest news from the Twins pretty much seals it.
Mar 28 Minnesota will use a closer-by-committee system and leave Liriano in the rotation, manager Ron Gardenhire told the St. Paul Pioneer Press.

Recommendation: Gardenhire didn't name Liriano as the fifth starter, but he's widely seen taking the role. Unless the Twins trade for a closer the final week of spring training, it looks like they'll use a committee system initially and put Liriano in the rotation with Brian Duensing used in middle relief.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby wrveres » Thu May 27, 2010 9:52 pm

One MLB scout said Minnesota Twins SP Francisco Liriano has not been the same pitcher since his start in which he threw 123 pitches, according to ESPN's Jayson Stark. "I saw him the start after he threw 123 pitches, and his delivery and arm slot weren't the same. And they haven't been the same since. The plane of his pitches wasn't good. And the velocity wasn't what it used to be in the Dominican (this past winter) and Spring Training," the scout said.
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 734)

Postby SpecialFNK » Thu May 27, 2010 10:13 pm

he seemed pretty good last night against the Yankees. 7 IP, 8 H, 2 ER, 2 BB, 7 K.
if its a simple problem im sure the Twins can get it worked out. or would anyone suggest it could lead to something bigger, and maybe Liriano should be sell high?
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby AquaMan2342 » Thu May 27, 2010 10:29 pm

wrveres wrote:
One MLB scout said Minnesota Twins SP Francisco Liriano has not been the same pitcher since his start in which he threw 123 pitches, according to ESPN's Jayson Stark. "I saw him the start after he threw 123 pitches, and his delivery and arm slot weren't the same. And they haven't been the same since. The plane of his pitches wasn't good. And the velocity wasn't what it used to be in the Dominican (this past winter) and Spring Training," the scout said.

Flipped him and Valverde for Felix. Niiiiice.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby silverZ » Fri May 28, 2010 8:26 pm

What is this guys outlook in a deep keeper league? That 123 pitch game made me nervous to say the least. At the same time he came so cheap this year that his upside over the next 2-3 years might outweigh the injury risk. :-?
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 73)

Postby XFactah416 » Fri May 28, 2010 9:51 pm

While Liriano has fallen off some, he's faced the Yankees (x2) and the Red Sox, sprinkled in with that bad game against Baltimore and a pretty decent start against Cleveland.

It is interesting though if he doesn't look the "same".. as I thought his struggles were mainly because of the teams he's facing.
XFactah416
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 84)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers