Francisco Liriano. start or close? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Francisco Liriano. start or close?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Francisco Liriano. start or close?

Postby SpecialFNK » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:08 pm

ive been reading some on Francisco Liriano. he has been battling for the last rotation spot with Minnesota but ive also seen that the Twins could choose to use him as closer.
Mar 22: While Liriano has been told he's still competing for a spot in the rotation, there are indications the Twins may ultimately move Liriano to closer, the Minneapolis Star Tribune reports. "There's one guy we all know that probably can be a closer," manager Ron Gardenhire said. "He's got all the closing stuff, punch-out pitches, the whole package. Whether it's the right thing, and whether he wants to do it or not, we'll have to see."

Recommendation: The Twins didn't immediately reveal their plans once Joe Nathan officially said he'd have Tommy John surgery on Sunday. Pitching coach Rick Anderson said they may use a closer by committee. A report from the St. Paul Pioneer Press says the Twins will trade for a closer by Opening Day. And there continues to be speculation Liriano could be moved into the role. Either way, Liriano has looked strong this spring and is the favorite for the fifth starter role, if not the closer job. However, don't count on Liriano getting save chances as Minnesota's decision on a closer looks up in the air at the moment.

he has been great this spring and someone who could be a great sleeper.. if he is starting.
any idea what the Twins do with him?
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 73)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Francisco Liriano. start or close?

Postby fezzik » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:19 pm

I expect him to start, since I believe that's what he wants to do and where the Twins could get the most value from him if he's back in anything close to top form...even if he's the closer, he still has value, so drafting him where he's going shouldn't be a bust unless you aren't playing with saves...or unless he implodes or gets injured. I would prefer him to start though, and I believe that will be the case.
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby Joe Mauer » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:21 pm

SpecialFNK wrote:ive been reading some on Francisco Liriano. he has been battling for the last rotation spot with Minnesota but ive also seen that the Twins could choose to use him as closer.
Mar 22: While Liriano has been told he's still competing for a spot in the rotation, there are indications the Twins may ultimately move Liriano to closer, the Minneapolis Star Tribune reports. "There's one guy we all know that probably can be a closer," manager Ron Gardenhire said. "He's got all the closing stuff, punch-out pitches, the whole package. Whether it's the right thing, and whether he wants to do it or not, we'll have to see."

Recommendation: The Twins didn't immediately reveal their plans once Joe Nathan officially said he'd have Tommy John surgery on Sunday. Pitching coach Rick Anderson said they may use a closer by committee. A report from the St. Paul Pioneer Press says the Twins will trade for a closer by Opening Day. And there continues to be speculation Liriano could be moved into the role. Either way, Liriano has looked strong this spring and is the favorite for the fifth starter role, if not the closer job. However, don't count on Liriano getting save chances as Minnesota's decision on a closer looks up in the air at the moment.

he has been great this spring and someone who could be a great sleeper.. if he is starting.
any idea what the Twins do with him?

The last thing I heard from Gardy is he told Liriano he should still concentrate on starting and if anything changes Gardy will tell Liriano before anyone else. Now, this does not guarantee he starts the season in the rotation as he has to "win" a spot. But this statement would not be made to a reporter by Gardy if the team no longer (at that point, which was within the last 2-3 days) if he or anyone in the organization felt Liriano was still being considered to be the closer from day 1 this season. Also, he has been dominant in winter ball and also in all of spring training. So why would you want him to only pitch 70 as a closer when he has to be the odds on favorite for the No. 5 rotation spot where he likely will pitch 170 with that nasty stuff that apparently has returned.

Liriano has maddened me in the past with his injury issue and then his comeback. But, that progression has to be expected when looking at the injury. This is his true bounce back and thrive season. Get him while his stock is sorta low.

Pierz,Castro,Tulo,Espinosa,Gyorko,Goldschmidt,Encarna,Howard,Carter,Cespedes,Marte,Soriano,Brown,Ludwick,Smoak
Strasbg,King F,Harvey,Scherzer,Teheran,Street,Jansen,Hernandez
BA 5,HR 9.5,R 4,RBI 6,SB 2,ERA 12,H+S 8,K 11,W 7.5,WHIP 11,TOT 76 pt 3rd
Joe Mauer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Location: Standing outside the Metrodome singing "We're going to win Twins, We're going to score...."

Postby Grounded Polo » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:13 pm

On a stronger team, Liriano becoming a closer would make sense but with the Twins, they need to give him one more shot at the rotation. They don't have a chance at surpassing the beasts of the AL East in October without Liriano returning to form.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby SpecialFNK » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:30 pm

if he can get to where he was at before he could be front of the rotation potential. i think it would be a mistake to use that as closer.
im sure the Twins can find someone to close. you can take a failed starter and turn them into a serviceable closer.

where would Liriano go in a 5x5 roto regular draft? what round would be a good place to grab him?
last time i checked his ADP was round 18, going as early as round 15.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 73)

Postby DaSh 1s » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:44 pm

I have taken Liriano in the 12th the past two drafts I have had. I am not missing out on him. He is going to start.
B-Chad wrote:Pedroia's LD rate of 20% is reason to believe he'll maintain a higher BA then Cano. It should also be noted he hits more FB's then Cano, which means that even if he posts a lower HR/FB then Cano, he should come in reasonably close to Cano in HR's
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby fezzik » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:37 pm

SpecialFNK wrote:if he can get to where he was at before he could be front of the rotation potential. i think it would be a mistake to use that as closer.
im sure the Twins can find someone to close. you can take a failed starter and turn them into a serviceable closer.

where would Liriano go in a 5x5 roto regular draft? what round would be a good place to grab him?
last time i checked his ADP was round 18, going as early as round 15.

I've had to take him earlier and earlier...last week of February, I got him with the last pick of round 15. First week of March I grabbed him at the start of the 14th round. Both of those were 12-team cafe leagues. Over the weekend I had a draft and he went 4 picks before I was going to take him at pick 158 (12th round of a 14-teamer).

I would say round 13...or round 12 to be safe. Depends on how highly you think of your competition as well. I know in yahoo he is ranked 900+, so someone has to search him out to take him.
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby Philly_05 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:58 pm

I got Liriano in the 14th round 7th deep in my cafe keeper league.
Philly_05
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Response Team
(Past Year: 621)

Postby K_Zone » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:03 pm

I think he will definitely start, and stole him at 17 in both my money leagues.
~Keep it in the K Zone~
K_Zone
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Ursa » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:42 pm

Got him in the 15th round of a 16 teamer (#235 overall) and judging by the comments, he'd have gone in that round at least four times over.
Ursa
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers