I'm going away for a few days and when I come back I expect - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

I'm going away for a few days and when I come back I expect

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

I'm going away for a few days and when I come back I expect

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Sun Mar 21, 2004 11:49 pm

to find at least 5 well-thought out and thorough opinions about my team. I will return the favor on Thursday.

Here's my team. 12 teams. R, RBI, HR, SB, AVG, and SLG for hitters. ERA, WHIP, wins, Ks, SVs, and Holds for pitchers.

C I. Rodríguez
1B P. Konerko
2B J. Kent
3B A. Ramírez
SS M. Tejada
LF B. Bonds
CF J. Burnitz
RF V. Guerrero
Util É. Rentería
BN K. Matsui
BN A. Kearns
BN N. Johnson
BN B. Fullmer
BN J. Drew

Pos Pitchers Edit Opp Status IP W SV K HLD ERA WHIP
SP J. Santana
SP M. Morris
RP A. Benítez
RP D. Báez
P J. Piñeiro
P K. Wells
P J. Nathan
BN D. Riske
BN J. Weaver
BN B. Weber
BN T. Armas
BN J. Affeldt
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Schloof » Mon Mar 22, 2004 12:40 am

I dunno if I can meet your qualifications, but here's my take. Your hitting looks great. Only possible flaw I can see is that in a 12 team league, you may be a little short on speed. You definitely seem to have drafted offense ahead of pitching, which I think is the right approach. But you have enough power (and with Kearns on the bench!) that you might think about dealing Tejada for an ace starter and starting Matsui. Or you might deal Matsui and upgrade from Aramis or Konerko, who I think will be decent, no more. After having him last season, I kind of hate him, but I realize that this is irrational. In any case, you have three of probably the top 8 shortstops in MLB this year, which is obviously a great position to deal from. If this is a 12-team league, you made out like a bandit, in terms of hitting.

Your relief staff is pretty good, though I don't see where your holds are going to come from. There's just Ben Weber, I guess, especially now that Affeldt is in the rotation. Your four closers are marginal-ish. But I like Riske, and think Benitez will be pretty solid. I'm not sold on Joe Nathan, but that's just my intuition, and is to be discarded. I do think your starting staff falls off a lot after the great Santana and Matt Morris, and the perfectly decent Joel Pineiro. So I guess if I was you, and believe me I wish I was, at least in terms of your squad, I would trade a SS for a SP.
Schloof
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Subversive » Mon Mar 22, 2004 1:08 am

Demanding eh? Okay well my team is posted here, so you know what to do when you get back...

You have proven, reliable hitters. I think you could upgrade at 1st, and/or 3rd by trading one of your shortstops, since there is little value in having 3 of them.

In a 12 team league, I would say your starting pitching is probably a little weak, but not awful. Santana is the make or break guy here. If he's as good as everyone says he can be, then you may be fine. If he wears down over the course of the season, you may not be. If it's not a keeper, I would think about trading Santana in July if he's been incredibly hot (and therefore likely to cool down in aug/sept), but that's just me.
Bah, humbug.
Subversive
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby WharfRat » Mon Mar 22, 2004 10:06 am

To echo the drumbeat, yes I think you ought to ditch a SS for an SP. Your IF corners (konerko, Ramirez) are both decent but not much better than that, it might be hard to win the league with those two. But then again, your other positions are mostly stacked (don't overestimate Pudge, Detroit isn't Texas), so you just might have enough elsewhere to make up for average infield corners.

But pitching is priority number 1, and after Pineiro there are a lot of questions. Santana or Morris could be your ace, but Weaver and Affeldt both are big questions to me. Which Weaver will show up, the one who did very well in another pitcher's park (Detroit) or the one who did so bad, he ate his own boogers in New York (caught on camera, by the way, not kidding). Affeldt is another guy, he's got great stuff but will he perform? I think along with one of those great SS's, I'd consider one of those closers trade bait, especially if the season starts and they get off to a good start. You should be able to get a very good pitcher, maybe you do a package with Matsui and a closer...? Just a thought, I think I might try that. And maybe with the free roster spot that would achieve, try and get a holds guy off the wire, maybe.
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Mon Mar 22, 2004 6:56 pm

Well, I got back sooner than I thought. So thank you three for your advice. It's what I was thinking, but it's always nice to have a second (and third and fourth) opinion.

I traded Tejada and Nathan (4.94 career minor league era) for Tim Hudson and Ryan Wagner. I figure that Wagner will be in line for some holds this year before they make him the closer. I wanted to trade Tejada because I wanted Renteria and Matsuis speed in the lineup.

I'll rate your teams now.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Mookie4ever » Mon Mar 22, 2004 8:36 pm

Another good draft AA.

Is it possible to turn Konerko, Johnson, Fullmer and Burnitz into a serviceable first baseman?

I would keep Drew in my lineup as long as he is out of the ICU and, by the time he is put on life-support, Kearns will probably be starting material.

You have a lot of scrub pitchers. I don't think very much of Wagner, Weaver and Affelt. It may be just personal preference but I don't think that they will amount to much this year. Your staff is sorely lacking in the set-up ERA/WHIP guys a la Mota, Donnelly, Lidge, Cormier etc.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team