Auction Question - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Auction Question

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Auction Question

Postby NCAARules » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:58 am

We have a 12-team NL-Only Roto hosted on CBS. (and no, you do not need to point out the exorbitant cost to me)

One of our owners (and only one) is WAY out of town, and is never able to participate in the auction in-person. The problem we have had is the amount of time it takes to relay winning bids to him so he can track what is going on over the phone.

Last year, I tried to use google docs with my tracking spreadsheet, but it was inconsistent in terms of connection and update times.

So, I'm wondering if anyone has had a good experience with putting auction or draft results up online when the bidding/selecting will not be taking place online.

I'm thinking something like an auctioneer with only the commissioner submitting teams bids may work. Or even something like a go-to-meeting (which I haven't used before).

Essentially - what is the best way to do an online-accessible draft/auction board?
NCAARules
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Auction Question

Postby bigmck » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:37 pm

From what I understand, all owners are in one room except for one guy. == It seems to me if you had a person that was not taking part in the draft to type the bids in on some Instant Message board, it would work fine. There would be no delay. == I use CBS also and once tried the online auction, but had problems getting cut off. This year I used the ESPN aution and it worked much better. If all of you did the Auction online, this might also be a solution.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 60)

Postby Matthias » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:08 pm

Yah; I would give him a tracking spreadsheet and then let him update it with results posted on IM or a message board.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby ABA316 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:56 pm

IM is the way to go..we have a guy who lives out of state and that works great.
ABA316
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby NCAARules » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:38 am

Thanks for the responses.

We have done the IM thing before, but even then, picks get missed.

I used to be the out of state guy, too, and at least with our commishes (of which I am not one), it has not worked well.

(I think by the time the winning bid is recapped, the next name is already out there. Early on with lots of bidding, its not such a big problem, but when you get to dollar days that person is scrambling)

That's why I'm looking for real-time access. Picks could still get missed, but at least then there is the delay of I put it into my tracking. Then type it into IM. Then he puts it into his tracking. Just seems like a lot of repetition that isn't needed.
NCAARules
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Matthias » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:58 pm

I don't know if this could really work, but it might.......

Then do it this way.

Host your draft on CBS. Put in a ten minute draft nomination time, or whatever the maximum is. If it's not long enough, just use the pause and resume functions. Then whenever someone gets bought, nominate him as the commissioner and put in the winning bid for the winning team. Your leaguemate could follow along in the draft room and see as it goes.

It looks like all these things are possible in CBS.

* You can suspend the draft for any reason by clicking 'Suspend'. You can then resume it by clicking 'Resume'
* You can easily back out the last pick of the draft for any reason by clicking 'Back-out Last Pick'. You can do this repeatedly to back out several picks.
* As commissioner you can bid for any team by clicking 'Bid for Team', then selecting the team you'd like to bid for
* As commissioner you can put any team on autopilot if you need to. You can also select a persona for how the autopilot will bid for them

So you would be bidding offline, but entering the results online. It might even help out the rest of the league follow along. But it is extra work for you, but that's sort of going to be true however you do it. I think your leaguemates are just going to have to accept a little pause between each pick as you sort it out as the price of accommodating the guy who can't make it.

It's not ideal. But it looks possible.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Return to Commissioner's Corner