Keeper League with Minor League Players Advice - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Keeper League with Minor League Players Advice

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Keeper League with Minor League Players Advice

Postby PhilFanatic » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:37 am

HI all,

we are playing a 14 team CBS Keeper League. We are in the third year now and everything is fine.

except one thing: we wanted to play with minor league players. so every team has three minor league roster spots. you can select them as minor league keepers after the season. but only if they are still in the minor leagues.

as it turns out with our system the minor leaguers have absolutely no value at all. if we promote the players to mlb level they cant be used as minor league keepers at the end of the season any more.

so we want to change our system to get a little more out of the minor leaguers. any suggestions? i am sure there are plenty of people out there that can help me out.

thanks a lot and have a great day.
PhilFanatic
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Keeper League with Minor League Players Advice

Postby bigmck » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:41 pm

I am on CBS and we use keepers. We meet for our Auction and then I input the players later. We assign a value of $10 to all Minor Leaguers Drafted which takes place before the regular Auction. You can then keep them next year at that value. == We have worked at these rules to get them to a point which I think is pretty good for a Minor League Draft. Check them out.
http://sportsgods.org/aminorleaguer.htm

Thanks,
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 62)

Postby Matthias » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:15 pm

Funny. We have a 12 team league on CBS and have almost exactly your settings. We have 3 minor league spots that you can keep so long as they're still a minor leaguer to start the next year and you haven't used them in the year before.

I'm trying to walk the line between rewarding foresight without allowing teams to hoard players so much that the next year becomes a foregone conclusion and is interesting for everyone.

One alternative that I proposed this year, but didn't get enough votes to pass, is that we would keep 3 minor league players and everyone you drafted as a minor leaguer in Year X you could unconditionally keep in Year X plus 1. The tradeoff is that you couldn't use them, no matter what, in Year X. So if you wanted to leave them as a minor leaguer, again, in Year X plus 1 and they're still a minor league player, you can. But anyone who you want to use that year you have to promote. So it becomes more of a pure investment vehicle. I don't know how it would play out fully since we didn't do it but it's the best alternative I could think of.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby mak1277 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:08 pm

I'm not sure I understand why you say the minor league keepers have no value. To me, your set-up is exactly the right way to do it. While guys are in the minors, you can hold onto them in your minor league keeper spot. They don't (and shouldn't) take up a real keeper slot on your team.

As soon as a guy becomes major league eligible, though, you have to move him into a real keeper spot if you want to hold onto him. The minor league keeper is definitely valuable, though, if you drafted Jason Heyward 2 years ago. You could've held onto him until now essentially for free.

Or am I completely missing the issue here?
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby bigmck » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:18 pm

mak1277 wrote:I'm not sure I understand why you say the minor league keepers have no value. To me, your set-up is exactly the right way to do it. While guys are in the minors, you can hold onto them in your minor league keeper spot. They don't (and shouldn't) take up a real keeper slot on your team.

As soon as a guy becomes major league eligible, though, you have to move him into a real keeper spot if you want to hold onto him. The minor league keeper is definitely valuable, though, if you drafted Jason Heyward 2 years ago. You could've held onto him until now essentially for free.

Or am I completely missing the issue here?

They league does not assign a value to them so they can not be Keepers for the next year.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 62)

Return to Commissioner's Corner