Breaking Bad - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Breaking Bad

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Breaking Bad

Postby RedHopeful » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:05 pm

Curtis Pride wrote:Actually, wasn't a cliffhanger. He absolutely killed poor Gil.

No way - this is Jesse we're talking about. King of screw-ups. I bet his pea-brain conjured up another scenario and he ended up firing a shot right past his ear. :-B
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 84)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Curtis Pride » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:26 pm

RedHopeful wrote:
Curtis Pride wrote:Actually, wasn't a cliffhanger. He absolutely killed poor Gil.

No way - this is Jesse we're talking about. King of screw-ups. I bet his pea-brain conjured up another scenario and he ended up firing a shot right past his ear. :-B

http://www.avclub.com/articles/vince-gilligan,42064/

The A.V. Club: Last season ended with an episode that was reasonably conclusive, whereas this season ends with a cliffhanger. Why’d you choose to end on an ambiguous note?

Vince Gilligan: Well first let me ask you: When you say “ambiguous” do you mean ambiguous in the sense of did Jesse shoot Gale or not?

AVC: Among other things, yes.

VG: Gotcha. That’s interesting, because I’m hearing that from some folks, that question. To me, for what it’s worth, it’s not actually meant to be ambiguous. It’s meant to be, “Oh my god, Jesse shot poor Gale.” But I’m realizing now that when people see the camera come dollying around so it’s looking down the barrel of the gun, some are reading that as maybe he’s changing his point of aim. But that’s not what we intended. Apparently it’s not as clear as I thought it would be. [Laughs.]
Curtis Pride
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RedHopeful » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:31 pm

Thanks for clearing that up Curtis - I actually thought that my scenario was a good possibility. ;-7
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 84)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Art Vandelay » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:56 pm

There seems to be a gaping hole in the plot (or at least in Walt's line of thinking. Maybe they address it in a way that makes it seem like less of a hole next season, which would make this criticism moot, but we'll see). You can't tell me that there aren't 1,000 chemists--ranging from people with good jobs in pharmaceuticals to college students to other high school teachers--who would cook meth in that lab for $1 million a month. It might not be as good as Walt's recipe, but it would certainly be better than anything else on the street made using brake fluid and WD-40 and whatever else goes into meth, plus Gus doesn't have much competition as it is. It seems to me that Walt shouldn't be as important as he's being made out to be (or as he thinks he is, depending on how it plays out). I really liked this season...there were a couple of episodes that were hit-or-miss, but overall a good season. Gus's cleaner (can't remember his name), is one of my favorite television characters ever. He's right up there with Omar from The Wire as far as anti-heros go.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Curtis Pride » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:57 am

Well, it's not like they can put an ad in Craigslist.

Gus is an extremely careful man, so he's not going to walk into the local chemistry department and start offering people money because he doesn't want to get caught.

So if someone happens across his path, sure. But it seems like Gus doesn't have many options here.
Curtis Pride
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:05 am

Curtis Pride wrote:Well, it's not like they can put an ad in Craigslist.

Gus is an extremely careful man, so he's not going to walk into the local chemistry department and start offering people money because he doesn't want to get caught.

So if someone happens across his path, sure. But it seems like Gus doesn't have many options here.

agreed...
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Skin Blues » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:12 am

Yeah, they have the whole setup and way of doing things that's pretty specific to making meth. I'm sure there are lots of little things that need to be done and tests and whatnot that aren't all perfectly documented. It's not like they're making acetone. Gale didn't seem confidant in taking over quite yet despite doing everything first-hand for a while. Obviously he's replaceable in the long-run, but this at the very least buys him some time. It'll be interesting to see what Gus does with him. If this was real life and he wasn't so important to the show, Jesse would be dead before Gale's body turned cold. Then again if it was real life he would have been dead a long time ago.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 109)

Postby Curtis Pride » Mon May 16, 2011 2:22 pm

AMC is starting to replay this entire series including back-to-back episodes every Wednesday night.

I think they are almost through season 1 already, but you can probably catch up on those episodes either through repeats on on-demand.

it's really an amazing show.
Curtis Pride
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby RedHopeful » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:05 pm

Season premiere on right now. ;-D
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager