Breaking Bad - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Breaking Bad

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Breaking Bad

Postby RedHopeful » Tue May 04, 2010 1:16 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:I figured Hank would survive and get the best of the cousins, but the most intriguing aspect of the last episode is who called him to warn him. As I was watching it for the first time, I thought the voice sounded like Hank's boss, but I pretty much ruled that out immediately. The more I think about it now, though, that makes the most sense.

I was thinking of the cleaner guy - the mutual employee of the lawyer and Mr. Chicken/Drug lord guy. It had to be someone who was following him around and it seems like this guy has done it a ton thus far on the show. I have a hard time believing Hank's boss was following him around...
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 84)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Art Vandelay » Tue May 04, 2010 1:22 pm

RedHopeful wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:I figured Hank would survive and get the best of the cousins, but the most intriguing aspect of the last episode is who called him to warn him. As I was watching it for the first time, I thought the voice sounded like Hank's boss, but I pretty much ruled that out immediately. The more I think about it now, though, that makes the most sense.

I was thinking of the cleaner guy - the mutual employee of the lawyer and Mr. Chicken/Drug lord guy. It had to be someone who was following him around and it seems like this guy has done it a ton thus far on the show. I have a hard time believing Hank's boss was following him around...

That was the other person I considered, but he wouldn't necessarily have to be following him in order to know when the hit was going to take place. It would make sense for Gus to have someone high in the DEA on his payroll (if I remember correctly, it was Hank's boss who was hosting the tour around the DEA office that included Gus), it would explain why he was always trying to move Hank off the investigation into the blue meth and onto the border, and it would explain why Gus wasn't worried when he learned that Walter had a connection to the DEA.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue May 04, 2010 1:32 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:
RedHopeful wrote:

That was the other person I considered, but he wouldn't necessarily have to be following him in order to know when the hit was going to take place. It would make sense for Gus to have someone high in the DEA on his payroll (if I remember correctly, it was Hank's boss who was hosting the tour around the DEA office that included Gus), it would explain why he was always trying to move Hank off the investigation into the blue meth and onto the border, and it would explain why Gus wasn't worried when he learned that Walter had a connection to the DEA.

seems plausible enough to me
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby RedHopeful » Tue May 04, 2010 1:54 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:
RedHopeful wrote:

Yeah this does seem possible and I definitely like the idea that Gus is behind everything which was my thinking as well. Obviously the Mexican mafia have their own agenda and Gus the ultimate controller couldn't stand it. So knowing he can't lose Walt and his amazing product, he gives them his brother-in-law. However, he most likely didn't want him killed as it A) can't be good for his area to have a DEA agent murdered in the manner these guys were probably going to carry out and B) didn't want to alienate Walt. In fact, I'm sure he was going to save this card for a rainy day when he'd need to get Walt to cook again.

However, since Gus isn't likely privy to how/when the mafia carry out things, he had to have Hank followed - thus enter the cleaner guy. In addition, thinking about it some more, I have difficultly thinking that Hank's boss would make the call. It would mean he's going out on a limb to save Hank - why? They obviously don't seem like they have any good relationship so why risk pissing off the bigger dogs? I do think that Gus has a very good chance on being on Gus' payroll but he wasn't Hank's savior...
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Art Vandelay » Tue May 04, 2010 2:03 pm

My who theory rests on the fact that Gus (and by extension Hank's boss) has more to gain by having the murderous cousins killed than by having Hank killed. Having those guys running around in his area is bad for business. For all of his faults, Hank's a pretty good cop, a tough guy, and good in a pinch (see: the Tuco situation, the bar fight, etc.). I think Gus sent the cousins after Hank, then had Hank tipped off thinking: best case scenario, Hank kills them and everything is back to normal, worst case scenario, they kill Hank then go home. Who knows though, I don't claim to have any inside knowledge or spoilers, just speculating.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby teddy ballgame » Tue May 04, 2010 2:27 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:My who theory rests on the fact that Gus (and by extension Hank's boss) has more to gain by having the murderous cousins killed than by having Hank killed. Having those guys running around in his area is bad for business. For all of his faults, Hank's a pretty good cop, a tough guy, and good in a pinch (see: the Tuco situation, the bar fight, etc.). I think Gus sent the cousins after Hank, then had Hank tipped off thinking: best case scenario, Hank kills them and everything is back to normal, worst case scenario, they kill Hank then go home. Who knows though, I don't claim to have any inside knowledge or spoilers, just speculating.

This makes the most sense to me. I actually thought it was Gus on the phone at the time. I went back and watched it again and the way he spoke still reminds me of Gus, but I guess he probably wouldn't take that big of a risk in actually calling Hank himself.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Art Vandelay » Tue May 04, 2010 10:38 pm

Something else that I just thought of that leads me to believe that even if it wasn't the DEA boss who called Hank, he and Gus are at least in cahoots: as Hank was leaving the building after giving his statement to the lawyers, his boss said something like "for what it's worth, I hear the Pinkman kid isn't even going to press charges." I'm not exactly sure of the chronology, but there couldn't have been much time between then and Walt telling Gus he wanted Jesse as his new lab assistant. If he didn't just hear that from Gus, where would he possibly have heard it?
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby RedHopeful » Wed May 05, 2010 2:57 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:Something else that I just thought of that leads me to believe that even if it wasn't the DEA boss who called Hank, he and Gus are at least in cahoots: as Hank was leaving the building after giving his statement to the lawyers, his boss said something like "for what it's worth, I hear the Pinkman kid isn't even going to press charges." I'm not exactly sure of the chronology, but there couldn't have been much time between then and Walt telling Gus he wanted Jesse as his new lab assistant. If he didn't just hear that from Gus, where would he possibly have heard it?

Indeed. Pinkman only seems to talk to Walt and the Lawyer outside of his questionable friends. However, since I'm unaware of the chronology too, perhaps the lawyer got back to the police quickly with the info?

There's been more than one time though where I thought the writers were going to take a certain route or explore a new angle to only let it pass...
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

Postby RedHopeful » Mon May 10, 2010 1:28 pm

Gus is one bad mother. Got rid of the cousins AND the head of the Cartel in Mexico once they intruded onto and threatened his side of the business. B-)
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Curtis Pride » Mon May 24, 2010 4:05 pm

Wow. An hour on killing a fly.

Now THAT was a bad episode.
Curtis Pride
Major League Manager