Breaking Bad - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Breaking Bad

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Breaking Bad

Postby mweir145 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:40 pm

Skin Blues wrote: And if Walt was going to poison the kid, why not just kill Jesse like he did Gale instead of beating around the bush with the little kid?

You'd think so, though Walt's always had a loyalty to Jesse that has proved detrimental at times. Remember that Gus never wanted Jesse in the first place, but Walt demanded his involvement. That said, I still think he would be willing to use him as a pawn against Gus.


And this is kind of beside the point, but how complicated could this meth making procedure be that nobody in the world can just follow the instructions, like the way all other chemicals are made? Unless Walt flat out refuses to give away some key aspects of it, but a little bit of torture and family threats would easily get that out of him. I understand it's kind of the crux of the show, that these two are the only ones who can do it, but it's not very realistic.

Have to suspend your disbelief a bit, I think. Walt's methods and level of purity are apparently unmatched, but why meth addicts would care much about that, I'm not sure. Of course, I'm not a meth addict.
25
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 16784
(Past Year: 4)
Joined: 3 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Toronto

Re: Breaking Bad

Postby Art Vandelay » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:49 am

mweir145 wrote:Of course, I'm not a meth addict.

The lady doth protest too much, methinks.

I'm two episodes behind. Once I watch them I'll let you all know what's up.
Image
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 5265
Joined: 12 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Breaking Bad

Postby mweir145 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:54 am

Art Vandelay wrote:
mweir145 wrote:Of course, I'm not a meth addict.

The lady doth protest too much, methinks.

I'm two episodes behind. Once I watch them I'll let you all know what's up.

I don't think I could get through my days without your Breaking Bad insight. Finale's in a week, though, so we'll have our answers soon anyway.
25
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 16784
(Past Year: 4)
Joined: 3 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Toronto

Re: Breaking Bad

Postby Art Vandelay » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:34 am

I know. I've been remiss. I feel like I'm letting a lot of people down. There's no way I'm going to have time to watch two episodes this week plus the finale on Sunday, though. So you might want to hold off yourself. It'll be a much more enjoyable experience.
Image
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 5265
Joined: 12 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Breaking Bad

Postby RedHopeful » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:43 am

mweir145 wrote:
RedHopeful wrote:
mweir145 wrote:I can't be the only one who thinks it was actually Walt that poisoned the kid, right? He's proven time and again that he's capable of anything when his life (or his family's lives) are at stake. Manipulating Jesse as a pawn is really the only move he can make left, and that's something he's proven himself to be very good at.

My first instinct was that the poisoning was an accident. Kids get into stuff all the time and it wouldn't be the least bit surprising the kid pulled out the cigarette that was turned upside down. Simply can't see Walter doing it but I'm unsure about Gus.

An accident would be kind of a cop-out for this show, though, wouldn't it? Walt's killed an innocent before (Gale) to preserve himself, I don't see any reason he wouldn't do it again. He's been in a downward spiral for a while now. It's time to stop looking at him as a sympathetic character in any way, I think.

One thing that bothered me about the episode though was why Gus stared out from the parking garage and then decided not to get into his car. No one is that good. ;-7

Maybe he realized that Walt was the one that poisoned the kid in order to get to him?

Walt has never gotten his hands 'dirty' as Jesse was the one who pulled the trigger. Same thing with Jesse's girlfriend where he didn't act when harm resulted. Not sure it'd be a cop-out for the show. It simply continues to show how scheming yet paranoid both Gus/Walt are. Also, I don't think the show wants people to stop thinking of Walt as a sympathetic figure. Otherwise, there'd be no reason for him to own up to everything that has happened and isolate himself waiting for what he thinks is impending death. Good point about the garage incident though.
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 3275
(Past Year: 84)
Joined: 11 Jul 2007
Home Cafe: Basketball
Location: Hank Aaron's backyard

Re: Breaking Bad

Postby mweir145 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:35 pm

RedHopeful wrote:Walt has never gotten his hands 'dirty' as Jesse was the one who pulled the trigger.

That's not true, though. He ran over two drug dealers and executed one in cold blood in front of Jesse. I would also say that ordering a killing is just as bad, if not worse, than pulling the trigger yourself.


Same thing with Jesse's girlfriend where he didn't act when harm resulted. Not sure it'd be a cop-out for the show. It simply continues to show how scheming yet paranoid both Gus/Walt are. Also, I don't think the show wants people to stop thinking of Walt as a sympathetic figure. Otherwise, there'd be no reason for him to own up to everything that has happened and isolate himself waiting for what he thinks is impending death. Good point about the garage incident though.

They've talked about turning him into Scarface by the end of the series and this would most certainly do that. Although even Tony Montana was above killing children.

This basically summarizes the Walt poisoning theory and the pieces seem to fit: http://foodcourtlunch.com/?p=3837
25
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 16784
(Past Year: 4)
Joined: 3 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Toronto

Re: Breaking Bad

Postby RedHopeful » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:48 pm

mweir145 wrote:
RedHopeful wrote:Walt has never gotten his hands 'dirty' as Jesse was the one who pulled the trigger.

That's not true, though. He ran over two drug dealers and executed one in cold blood in front of Jesse. I would also say that ordering a killing is just as bad, if not worse, than pulling the trigger yourself.
Same thing with Jesse's girlfriend where he didn't act when harm resulted. Not sure it'd be a cop-out for the show. It simply continues to show how scheming yet paranoid both Gus/Walt are. Also, I don't think the show wants people to stop thinking of Walt as a sympathetic figure. Otherwise, there'd be no reason for him to own up to everything that has happened and isolate himself waiting for what he thinks is impending death. Good point about the garage incident though.

They've talked about turning him into Scarface by the end of the series and this would most certainly do that. Although even Tony Montana was above killing children.

This basically summarizes the Walt poisoning theory and the pieces seem to fit: http://foodcourtlunch.com/?p=3837

But drug dealers are bad people. :-B Honestly, I forgot about that instance, but I'm not ready to say that or Gale's ordered demise have now necessarily led to Walt poisoning a defenseless child. Love the link you posted but I feel that's the beauty of this show. The writers only tell us enough each week whereby we are left to guess amongst a multitude of choices which way the show goes next. I understand Walt has evolved into some type of meglomanic, but I'm just not ready to admit Walt's character has hit this rock bottom. If anything, I'd say Skyler's character is more likely to devolve into a cold-heartless killer before Walt.
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 3275
(Past Year: 84)
Joined: 11 Jul 2007
Home Cafe: Basketball
Location: Hank Aaron's backyard

Re: Breaking Bad

Postby Curtis Pride » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:19 pm

I am really confused about what's going on with the poison.

I can't believe that weird frisking would have been able to get the pack out, extract the cigarette, and then put the pack back in Jesse's pocket. That was a red herring. And even if it did, that was the same day (I think) as when the kid was getting sick. If I recall, Walt said that it took like 3 days to manifest.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see a flashback of the kid just stealing a cigarette from Jesse when he wasn't looking. I don't recall the exact timeline, but I have a hunch it is just a weird mistake.

I agree that the Gus thing in the parking garage was a bit of a stretch, as was Walt being in the exact perfect location, i.e. knowing exactly what side of the parking garage Gus was going to park in. If Gus had parked on a lower flower on the other side, the entire plan would be kaput. And now Gus is going to see a bomb planted on his car, and then there will be real problems.
Curtis Pride
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1363
(Past Year: 5)
Joined: 19 May 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Breaking Bad

Postby mweir145 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:40 am

So Walt poisoned the kid as I suspected. Just with something not quite as toxic as ricin. In any case, it's yet another example of him willing to sacrifice an innocent in order to live on. Walt's morphed into a very bad guy over time, and you'd have to think his comeuppance will come at the end of the series.

A pity Gus had to die at the hands of Hector and Walt. What a great character.

So what's left for next season?
25
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 16784
(Past Year: 4)
Joined: 3 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Toronto

Re: Breaking Bad

Postby RedHopeful » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:12 am

mweir145 wrote:So Walt poisoned the kid as I suspected. Just with something not quite as toxic as ricin. In any case, it's yet another example of him willing to sacrifice an innocent in order to live on. Walt's morphed into a very bad guy over time, and you'd have to think his comeuppance will come at the end of the series.

A pity Gus had to die at the hands of Hector and Walt. What a great character.

So what's left for next season?

I'd say the Lily is night and day from ricin but I have been agreeing Walt's character has gone down the dark path. Carrying a bomb into a hospital or sending your neighbor into a likely trap took the cake.

It was unfortunate Gus has left the show but one of them had to go now. I'm very worried that the last 16 episodes might have a hard time living up to seasons prior but one would think it'll likely revolve around Walt being THE guy. I expect it'll wind down to some kind of confrontation between he and his brother in law.
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 3275
(Past Year: 84)
Joined: 11 Jul 2007
Home Cafe: Basketball
Location: Hank Aaron's backyard

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact