2010 Darft Analysis - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Leftovers League

2010 Darft Analysis

Moderator: rotoquest

Re: 2010 Darft Analysis

Postby RedBullVodka » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:29 pm

oscar15 wrote:Thought I would re-post rbv survey from last year.

With apologies to Aussie Dodger for the blatant plagiarism...

1. What was your draft strategy?

After Pujols, I wanted to get a second tier 3B at the turn and was happy to also fill out my CI with Adrian Gonzalez at that turn. Had considered Votto at that pick too. After that I wanted to start taking OFs and starting pitchers, and targeted guys like Johnson and Nolasco, in particular. Mid to later rounds I was hoping to get some cheap saves and guys with some upside, such as Reimold, Slowey and Alcides Escobar.

2. Who do you think was the steal of the draft?

Cole Hamels. He was stolen from everyone else. ;) Nick Johnson in Round 20 could be very good value, as could Hawpe Round 15. I'm hoping Nolasco in Round 9 will prove to better value than some of the other pitchers taken earlier.

3. Who do you think was the reach of the draft?

Sandoval at end of Round 2 was a but early, as was my pick of Pence. I also think Hanson / Gordon Beckham might be small reaches.

4. Who do you think will finish in the top 3?

Me, Old Style, Cheesebeger. Rock could break in very easily, as his in-season management is always very good.

5. Who do you think will finish in the bottom 3?

Third day, Amazing Oopah and Sean Casey. Sorry fellas!

6. The best pick that you made

Obviously Pujols! As above I think Nolasco will be a good pick, and hopefully this is the year Kendrick puts it together.

7. The worst pick that you made

Possibly Shane Victorino, maybe Pence (although I really like him this season). Should have taken Hamels with that pick perhaps.

8. What player is the biggest key to your success?

Pujols. If he gets injured I won't win. Johan Santana pitching like an ace would be pretty important too.

9. Your team's weak/strong points

Strong starting hitting, although a lack of speed is a bit worrying, and I have no bench hitting, which I'm a bit worried about. Like my top 5 starters, but who knows whether I will in a month's time!

Just copy, paste, and answer...if you so desire.
2009 H2HWS Champion
RedBullVodka
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 45)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Old_Style » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:13 pm

TheRock wrote:
Old_Style wrote:Alright, I'm not an Excel wiz by any means.
I keep getting an error message when I try to generate a draft sheet. compile error in hidden module: module 1. What does that mean?

I would expect oscar to not be able to make it work, but you? :-D

No idea. Make sure you enable security and all that jazz. Ask in the thread in leftovers.

Yeah, I'm an Excel n00b. I lowered my security level, but I still got the error message. No big deal, I think I'll get by.
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby thomasps3 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:06 am

1. What was your draft strategy? My draft strategy was to follow my top 75 players ranked strictly, and wherever my team needs fell then, I would prefill at that point in the draft. Additionally, I wanted to go the don't spend too much on closers route, as I think with the new format(FAAB), I should be able to secure enough SVs to finish middle of the pack, at worst...

2. Who do you think was the steal of the draft? Francisco Liriano in the 16th round was a great grab. I also thought getting Beltran and his upside in the 11th was a pretty good pick.

3. Who do you think was the reach of the draft? Pablo Sandoval. Good hitter, but terrible surrounding lineup, and he won't score a lot of Rs.

4. Who do you think will finish in the top 3? Me, RBV, and Old_Style

5. Who do you think will finish in the bottom 3? Shockers, SeanCasey, Third Day

6. The best pick that you made - Grady Sizemore with the last pick of the 3rd round

7. The worst pick that you made - Nick Markakis with the last pick of the 5th round

8. What player is the biggest key to your success? David Wright. If he has any semblance of the year he had in '09, he will kill me. If he is closer to the '08 version, I should be ok.

9. Your team's weak/strong points - Strong points - Speed, with Pierre, Rajai Davis, Sizemore, Bartlett I should be up there in Rs scored and SBs. Weak points - Closers/Saves. Trying something new this year by giving me strong SP at the expense of drafting for a category.

Good luck everyone!
thomasps3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)
Location: Giving BIG UPS to Teddy BallGame for the AWESOME SIG

Postby Old_Style » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:12 pm

1. What was your draft strategy? Didn't have one. I liked the one I had last year, but couldn't figure out a way to duplicate it based on the MDP's for this year's draft. So, I decided to go heavy on starting pitching early, fill up my lineup with power, and totally neglect stolen bases. We'll see how this goes.. :-S

2. Who do you think was the steal of the draft? Alcides Escobar. Could perform like Elvis Andrus, only 8 rounds cheaper.

3. Who do you think was the reach of the draft? Sandoval; round 2

4. Who do you think will finish in the top 3? Beerdogs, Old_Style, Oscar

5. Who do you think will finish in the bottom 3? Third Day, Amazing Oopah, Shockers

6. The best pick that you made. I really liked my rounds 15-18 picks. Brad Hawpe, Ryan Ludwick, Jonathan Sanchez, Todd Helton.

7. The worst pick that you made. I think all of my picks were pretty sound. Maybe, instead of taking Morneau or C.Lee, I could've taken a speed guy.

8. What player is the biggest key to your success? Lincecum and Halladay's arms can't fall off.

9. Your team's weak/strong points? Strong - HR/RBI/W/K/ERA/WHIP Weak - R/SB/SV
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby TheRock » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:19 am

Been busy with another draft, trying to round up a league at work, prepping for my 3 drafts this weekend, etc. etc. But I like this quiz. I had so much fun this year reading last year's that I want to make sure I get this done.

1. What was your draft strategy?
You know, I draft the same team every time. Every year. In every league. The names change, sometimes I make a small change here or there, but always the same team. I aim for balance and reliability early. This definitely means hitting early, and more often than not power guys at 1B and OF. I heard it said once you can't win your league in the early rounds, but you can sure lose it. I've never once owned Jose Reyes. I never take pitchers early. Just not taking the chance. Crawdaddy in the 2nd is the biggest break from my mold I'll ever do. Mid rounds I always grab one top closer. To me, they're worth the money. Let some other sucker be the 'never pay for saves' guy who ends up with Kerry Wood. Oh wait... I alway grab one ace in round 5 or 6. Always more pitching in the next few rounds, and fill out my roster with a mix of reliable producers and high upside guys. I seem to do ok with this.

2. Who do you think was the steal of the draft?
Holliday at 22. I almost took him at 14. No way he goes at the end of round 2. His MDP in cafe leagues is 13. In bozo leagues it's 19. We let him go to 22? What a bunch of n00bs. %-6

3. Who do you think was the reach of the draft?
Every player taken before Holliday at 22. :-B
Pence sure went early. I was about to pounce on Jermaine Dye then oscar stole him. Didn't think he'd go that early.

4. Who do you think will finish in the top 3?
Well, my magic spreadsheet says beer, Cheese, and Old Style. Which sounds appetizing for sure. RBV and me right behind. Looking beyond the numbers, I would say OS looks to do well once more, I think my team should end up in the top 3, and even though he let me down last year I'm going beerdog again. I think cheese will be sunk by the curse of Jose Reyes, and RBV's closers all look pretty risky to me.

5. Who do you think will finish in the bottom 3?
I think Shockers draft puts him in an inescapable hole, much to oscar's delight. Too many potential busts on his team. But some players with some upside too, so we'll see. I'm looking at thomas' team and can't for the life of my figure out how it will finish near the bottom, but I think it will. :-D I'm not seeing anything on seancasey's team that excites me.

6. The best pick that you made
Love me some Miggy at 11. Really glad I grabbed Perez as insurance.

7. The worst pick that you made
Kerry Wood? I knew Perez would be valuable, what ever possessed me to take Wood?

8. What player is the biggest key to your success?
I think Cliff Lee. I missed a lot of the starters I wanted, so if Cliffy sucks I'm in big trouble.

9. Your team's weak/strong points
I actually see myself placing in the top 1/3 of each category and not winning anything other than maybe saves. I don't think I'll finish near the bottom in anything.
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 6)

Previous

Return to Leftovers League