Cano versus Pedroia - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Cano versus Pedroia

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Cano versus Pedroia

Postby DaSh 1s » Sat May 01, 2010 12:24 pm

Bloody Sox wrote:Maybe its Pedroia having the "power breakout" - up to 6 HRs and 18 RBIs (same as Cano) with a .573 SLG %.

Just wait till A-Rod (337 OBP) and Tex (300 OBP) start getting on base more. Rbi overload Image
B-Chad wrote:Pedroia's LD rate of 20% is reason to believe he'll maintain a higher BA then Cano. It should also be noted he hits more FB's then Cano, which means that even if he posts a lower HR/FB then Cano, he should come in reasonably close to Cano in HR's
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Urban Cohorts » Sat May 01, 2010 2:09 pm

Such a fun thread!

CBMGreatOne wrote:I went all in on Cano this year and I think it's fair to say that he'll probably not only have a better season than Pedroia... It wouldn't shock me to see him finish around .340 with 30 HRs and in that lineup at least 100/100 Rs/RBIs. Pedroia definitely doesn't have that kind of upside for this season, but could surpass Cano if he slumps badly at some point. I just don't see it happening.

Cano is not going to finish with a .340 average unless his uncharacteristically high BABIP and LD% stay where they are. I really don't see that happening. If anything, Dustin has a better chance to hit for a higher AVG from here on out- providing that his currently low BABIP rises and he returns to his normal career BB/K ratio (Dustin is striking out too much this season). Dustin is more of a pure hitter. Better plate discipline and contact rate. Realistically, I can see them both finishing the season hitting .315-.325.

thedude wrote:Do you really think robinson Cano will continue to have a HR/FB% of 29.6%?

Probably not, but Dustin won't finish with an 18.8% either.

DaSh 1s wrote:Just wait till A-Rod (337 OBP) and Tex (300 OBP) start getting on base more. Rbi overload Image

That is true, but Dustin gets a boost too when Ellsbury comes back and Youkilis/V Mart start hitting.

thedude wrote:The month is still April. See Chirs Shelton.

Yeah, kind of crazy here with the Shelton drop. But he does make a point- it is only May. A lot of things can happen over the next 5 months.

DaSh 1s wrote:He is not going to sustain this level of production, but he is for damn sure gonna flirt with a .325avg 30HR 120 RBI 100R 5SB line.

I think that is a reasonable expectation.

Cano: 100-30-120-5-.325
Pedroia: 110-20-85-15-.325

Cano would beat Pedroia out in this case, but neither of these guys would be considered a bad choice. Phillips and Roberts on the other hand...
Urban Cohorts
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter

Postby dannahann » Sat May 01, 2010 2:53 pm

Urban Cohorts wrote:Such a fun thread!

CBMGreatOne wrote:I went all in on Cano this year and I think it's fair to say that he'll probably not only have a better season than Pedroia... It wouldn't shock me to see him finish around .340 with 30 HRs and in that lineup at least 100/100 Rs/RBIs. Pedroia definitely doesn't have that kind of upside for this season, but could surpass Cano if he slumps badly at some point. I just don't see it happening.

Cano is not going to finish with a .340 average unless his uncharacteristically high BABIP and LD% stay where they are. I really don't see that happening. If anything, Dustin has a better chance to hit for a higher AVG from here on out- providing that his currently low BABIP rises and he returns to his normal career BB/K ratio (Dustin is striking out too much this season). Dustin is more of a pure hitter. Better plate discipline and contact rate. Realistically, I can see them both finishing the season hitting .315-.325.

thedude wrote:Do you really think robinson Cano will continue to have a HR/FB% of 29.6%?

Probably not, but Dustin won't finish with an 18.8% either.

DaSh 1s wrote:Just wait till A-Rod (337 OBP) and Tex (300 OBP) start getting on base more. Rbi overload Image

That is true, but Dustin gets a boost too when Ellsbury comes back and Youkilis/V Mart start hitting.

Yeah, kind of crazy here with the Shelton drop. But he does make a point- it is only May. A lot of things can happen over the next 5 months.

DaSh 1s wrote:He is not going to sustain this level of production, but he is for damn sure gonna flirt with a .325avg 30HR 120 RBI 100R 5SB line.

I think that is a reasonable expectation.

Cano: 100-30-120-5-.325
Pedroia: 110-20-85-15-.325

Cano would beat Pedroia out in this case, but neither of these guys would be considered a bad choice. Phillips and Roberts on the other hand...

Well put, thank you. I think most of us who don't look thru bloody sock or pinstripe colored glasses see it as essentially a wash of two real good options. Some of the more zealous fans of those two clubs would argue Tom Gordon vs Mo Rivera or Bucky Dent vs Nomar threads.
61*
70**73**762***
MVP****NL11,AL07,AL05,NL04,ALNL03,ALNL02,NL01,ALNL00,AL99,ALNL98,ALNL96 RIP Cammi
Cmon Bud, NOW is the time to sack up and force feed an Olympic style drug program down Fehr's fat throat. Save OUR game from these blatant cheaters!
dannahann
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 39)

Postby CBMGreatOne » Sat May 01, 2010 3:21 pm

We're through about 1/6th of the season and Cano is hitting around .400. He hit .320 last year, has also hit .342 in a season and this year he has a big head start. .340 is a perfectly reasonable expectation, though might be a little on the high side. There is no question he is the better fantasy option at 2B than Pedroia, who is also a very good player.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 89)

Postby thedude » Sat May 01, 2010 9:01 pm

DaSh 1s wrote:
thedude wrote:
DaSh 1s wrote:I knew you were pretty bad at arguing, but I was pretty surprised at this to be honest. Of course Cano isn't going to sustain his ~790 SLG. But to even group him as a similar player as Chris Shelton is just pure, idk, just comical. Chris Shelton couldn't hold Cano's jock strap in terms of talent.

That is right Cano is generational talent! His sugging% proves it! :-b

Oh man, way to salvage that awfully poor analogy you wrote with joke ;-D :-b

Sorry i used a hyperbole that pre-dated your baseball watching days.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby thedude » Sat May 01, 2010 9:04 pm

Urban Cohorts wrote:

My point, as noted before, is simply that production in April does not mean production for an entire season.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Urban Cohorts » Sat May 01, 2010 11:18 pm

thedude wrote:My point, as noted before, is simply that production in April does not mean production for an entire season.

I agree completely. Didn't mean to offend, but you could have used a better example (Not that I can think of one though :-o ).
Urban Cohorts
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Inukchuk » Sat May 01, 2010 11:45 pm

thedude wrote:
Urban Cohorts wrote:

My point, as noted before, is simply that production in April does not mean production for an entire season.

I thought the point you were trying to make was pretty obvious...
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Sun May 02, 2010 9:13 am

Inukchuk wrote:
thedude wrote:

I thought the point you were trying to make was pretty obvious...

Objectivity is a funny thing, isn't it?
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Sun May 02, 2010 4:33 pm

DaSh 1s wrote:
thedude wrote:
DaSh 1s wrote:I knew you were pretty bad at arguing, but I was pretty surprised at this to be honest. Of course Cano isn't going to sustain his ~790 SLG. But to even group him as a similar player as Chris Shelton is just pure, idk, just comical. Chris Shelton couldn't hold Cano's jock strap in terms of talent.

That is right Cano is generational talent! His sugging% proves it! :-b

Oh man, way to salvage that awfully poor analogy you wrote with joke ;-D :-b

BTW, as of this morning Cano is the number one ranked player in all of Yahoo. I am so upset I didn't take Brandon Phillips or Jose Lopez. %-6

ZOMG, he's #1 at ESPN too! ;-D

http://fantasybaseballhotstove.blogspot.com/
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers