Cano versus Pedroia - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Cano versus Pedroia

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Cano versus Pedroia

Postby kaiser » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:51 pm

I'd be interested in hearing opinions on which of 2B, Cano or Pedroia, is the better fantasy player this season. Pedroia seeems to be pretty consistantly rated slightly higher, usually as the #3 2B behind Ut and Kinsler. Cano usually following close behind, with Hill thrown in there, somewhere, too. Seems to me that the AVG, along with the park he is playing in and the lineup protection he has, would make Cano the more popular fanasy option, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Was wondering why this might be. Opinions?
Last edited by kaiser on Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 305)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Cano versus Pedrioa

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:57 pm

i think it might be because people want more SBs out of their middle infielders.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Matthias » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:03 pm

If you think last year was a breakout year for Cano, then you go Cano.

If you think that it was an aberration, then you go Pedroia.

Also, Pedroia's consistently high OBP means his higher Rs are more predictable. If Cano's AVG takes a dive, he doesn't take enough walks to really maintain the majority of his value.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby kaiser » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:12 pm

BitterDodgerFan wrote:i think it might be because people want more SBs out of their middle infielders.

Understandable, but it also seems that the preponderance of speed in the OF might offset that a bit.

Matthias wrote:If you think last year was a breakout year for Cano, then you go Cano.

If you think that it was an aberration, then you go Pedroia.

Also, Pedroia's consistently high OBP means his higher Rs are more predictable. If Cano's AVG takes a dive, he doesn't take enough walks to really maintain the majority of his value.

I wonder what effect the new Yankee Stadium had on helping Cano's numbers, especially AVG, last year.
kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 305)

Re: Cano versus Pedroia

Postby MTUCache » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:25 pm

I personally favor Cano of the two, because I'd rather take the handful of extra HR/RBI potential than the 15 SBs or handful of runs (I plan on getting my speed elsewhere), and because Cano is going later...

But I will admit that I see some validity in the questions about Cano's spot in the lineup. He did manage 600+ABs last year (more than Pedroia actually), but I don't know if I see him getting that many again this year.

That's the only real questionable area (or down-side) that I see between the two, as long as you're willing to trade a small difference in HR/RBI or SB/R.
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:29 pm

Dash hasn't jumped on this one yet????? 8-o
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby The Artful Dodger » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:30 pm

Cano has generally been a high-contact hitter and so, I doubt that the new Yankee Stadium helped him considerably. He had a career-high 25 HR last year and perhaps that's where the park factor comes into play. However, Cano's HR/FB wasn't too far off from what he did in prior years.

I usually take Pedroia before Cano in drafts, only because he figures to score more runs given his superior OBP and there's also the bonus of him tossing in 20 SB. His BABIP was a bit low for his career norm which makes him a safe bet to hit for a .300-310 average.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:33 pm

kaiser wrote:I'd be interested in hearing opinions on which of 2B, Cano or Pedroia, is the better fantasy player this season. Pedroia seeems to be pretty consistantly rated slightly higher, usually as the #3 2B behind Ut and Kinsler. Cano usually following close behind, with Hill thrown in there, somewhere, too. Seems to me that the AVG, along with the park he is playing in and the lineup protection he has, would make Cano the more popular fanasy option, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Was wondering why this might be. Opinions?

Honestly, if you want average, runs and steals you go with Pedroia. If you want the HR output and RBI you go with Cano. In my main league we also count doubles, walks and K's for hitters so Pedroia becomes that much more valuable. Overall, I wouldn't be disappointed ending up with either, though I would probably go with Pedroia as I like to spread my SB's around my roster.
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby TheRock » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:37 pm

I have them 3 & 4. Both great averages, I have Pedrioa scoring more runs and chipping in a few steals. Cano will hit for more power. I've got Pedrioa as a bit more valuable and keep ending up with him on my teams, but in hindsight could have had Cano at a later pick.
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 6)

Postby DaSh 1s » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:06 pm

Yessssssssssssssssssssssssss, what a great thread :-)

Matthias wrote:If you think last year was a breakout year for Cano, then you go Cano.

Last year, was Cano's break out year? Image

Matthias wrote:Also, Pedroia's consistently high OBP means his higher Rs are more predictable. If Cano's AVG takes a dive, he doesn't take enough walks to really maintain the majority of his value.

Wait, R's is the majority of Cano's value? He is a four cat player. R, RBI, HR, AVG. He is batting in front of Granderson, Swisher, and Posada. Plenty of SLG behind him to assure him of a pleasant R total, and he is a career 340 OBP. He mustered a 103 R with Swisher and Melky and Jeter batting behind him.

In terms of RBI,
Cano SLG .520 (.541 Home, .498 Away) and it wasn't a mere product of his home park, where as all Pedroia's SLG derives from Fenway. Robbie smacked 48 2B and only 22 of them came at Home. I without a doubt expect untapped power, and it doesn't hurt that his power is generally to RF.

Cano hit .207/.242/.332 with RISP in scoring position and still managed 85 RBI. I would have to expect that is the floor in terms hitting w/ RISP, so that RBI total is going to improve from that facet. Than you factor in he will now be the number 5 hitter with Matsui gone. Using 09 Numbers he has, Jeter OBP 406, Nick Johnson OBP 426, Teix OBP 383, Arod OBP 402, all batting in front of him. If he SLGs 520 again, :-L

In terms of average, he is a career 306 hitter, while Dustin is a .307. What differs, is Cano has way more upside in average as where he has eclipsed 360, 370, and even 398 averages in certain months.

Cano could potentially be a 300 100+ 28 110 5 player this year. Last year, he batted 24 points higher, hit 10 more home runs and drove in 13 more runs, which overcame Pedroia's 15-steal and 12-run advantages. The end of the year he finished with a higher Rank than Dustin

Avg is a wash, Cano will dwarf Dustin in HR and RBI, a minimal difference in R to Dustin, and 15 SB from Dustin.

The 10 R, 15 SB just doesn't make up for the bigger difference in RBI, HR. Dustin just doesn't have the Power upside Cano does right now. Cano SLG 500 away from Home, and Dustin could only muster a 381 SLG out of Fenway :-* and Cano is just hitting in a mouth watering spot with all those giant OBP ratios in front of him. Again this is all assuming they have their typical years in accordance to their career totals.

5x5 formats Cano was betterthan Pedroia last year, and now the SLG behind him has improved, and the OBP in front of him has improved, while Cano being the better pure hitter in terms of AVG, and way better Power.
B-Chad wrote:Pedroia's LD rate of 20% is reason to believe he'll maintain a higher BA then Cano. It should also be noted he hits more FB's then Cano, which means that even if he posts a lower HR/FB then Cano, he should come in reasonably close to Cano in HR's
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers