Help me set up a league? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Help me set up a league?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Help me set up a league?

Postby rails80 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:45 am

I would like to set up some kind of salary cap, keeper league with a few guys I know, but really haven't the slightest idea how to go about doing it. Can some experienced commissioners/owners help out?

1. What site do you use (free)?
2. What do you think the best set-up for rosters are?
3. What type of scoring works best in salary?
4. What categories work best?
5. Do you allow trading of draft picks?
6. How do you work keepers? i.e. lose a pick in the round they were drafted in or something like that?

These are just a few questions I have to get this thing started. Any other general advice or suggestions would be great.

BUT is it too late to start with the season only a few weeks away?
rails80
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Response TeamFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 254)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Help me set up a league?

Postby oleredb » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:41 pm

First, It is not too late to start a league.

Second, how many players do you have and how many have played Fantasy Baseball before?

If most of your players are new to this hobby try Yahoo or ESPN for a free league. If most players are new start 3 leagues and have everyone play all 3: make one a roto league with standard settings, one a h2h cats league with standard settings and one a h2h points league with standard settings. At the end of the season have a league vote to choose the setup for next season. If you already have experienced players then skip this step and do a presetup vote this weekend to determine the type, the scoring and the rosters.

I encourage you to play together for one season and have a redraft for the second season before you ever think about keepers.
oleredb
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 12)

Postby bigmck » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:47 pm

When you say salary and then say draft picks, you shouldn't combine the two. If you want to have a Draft League, which I would suggest for your first year, do that. If you want to have salaries, bid on the players and have a salary league. Don't draft players and then assign a salary to them. That just makes no sense. == Like the other poster said, don't even consider keepers this year. == Here is what I would suggest. Have a draft league where you just take turns using a snake draft (each round is the reverse of the previous round) and pick your players. The normal is to have 2 C, 1 FB, 1 2B, 1 SS, 1 3B, 1 MF (2B or SS), 1 CM (1B or 3B), 5 OF, 1 Utility (any hitter) and 9 P for a 23 man roster. I would use what is called 5 X 5 for the catagories. That is 5 hitting stats and 5 pitching stats. For hitters use HR, RBI, Bat Ave, Stolen Base, Runs Scored == For pitchers use Wins, Saves, Stikeouts, ERA and Whip (Walks plus hits divided by Innings Pitched). These are standard catagories used in 90% of the leagues. There are several different ways to play, but I would suggest starting with Rotisserie. The best free site to use is ESPN. You also need to decide what players you are going to draft. You can use only the NL players. Only the AL players or all of them. I usually suggest using only one or the other, but since this is your first time, try using all MLB for your player pool. You need to get your guys together because the season starts April 4. If you have any other questions, I would be glad to help. Give me an email at bigmck@sbcglobal.net Thanks,
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 59)

Postby rails80 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:53 am

Yeah - I've been doing fantasy sports for a long, long time now but have never been in a league, let alone set one up, that uses salaries. If I'm understanding, it would actually need to be an auction "draft"? How do you determine what the salary cap should be?

I don't know that I have the time to get this thing set up in time for the season to start though. Which is too bad.
rails80
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Response TeamFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 254)

Postby bigmck » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:31 am

The standard salary cap on Auction Day is $260. This is not real money. You can put in any amount of money or play for fun. The $260 is for 23 players. This is what all of the magazines use when listing their information. That would be good numbers to use. == If you have all your guys that are going to be in the league already, the work is done. It only takes a short time to set up the ESPN site. I gave you me email in a previous message. Give me a shout and we can get this league going. Thanks,
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 59)

Postby TICKETS » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:23 am

If you are looking for a new league or creating your own, the best place To go is ESPN.
TICKETS
T-Ball Trainer

Postby BoBtheMule » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:15 pm

I just started a league and this is what we've worked towards as far as a constitution... there is also a minor league section but you don't need that really.

We use ESPN, 260$ in startup money.

Each Year a Player's Price gets more expensive by 4$. So a 2009 Player Price of 20$ would become 24$ in 2010, 28 in 2011. ect.

Each Year we can keep up to 180$ in players.

12 Teams, 3 Divisions, H2H Points, weighted more towards hitters, then SP, then RP.
C, C, 1B, 2B, SS, 3B, INF, OF, OF, OF, OF, UTIL, SP, SP, SP, SP, P, RP, RP, RP
7 BENCH

Divisions will be redrawn every year using this formula:
4d25 x last year's win percentage. The highest four totals are in one division, second group of four totals goes into the 2nd division, third group of four goes into the third division.

You cannot trade auction dollars and there is no free agency (Majors or Minors) from the offseason until the following year's auction.

Unsigned MLB Players will be assigned to the FAAB Pool and will be worth $5 for the following season.

Any player cut from your team can be bid on and won via the FAAB process but if you resign within the next two FAAB cycles he still retains his original auction value, not the $5 FA value.
BoBtheMule
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Commissioner's Corner