Question about extra stats WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Question about extra stats WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Question about extra stats WHIR

Postby Guzman24 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:08 am

Last year in my 6x6 league we used

W,K's,WHIP,SVS,ERA,QS for the pitching stats

AVG,HR,RBI,R,SB,BB for hitting stats

There are a few people in the league, myself included, who are not happy with the BB stat for hitters. Yes part of it is having a good eye at the plate but we feel it has too much to do with the opposing pitcher.

We are contemplating switching to OPS but some owners are worried that this might encourage some to punt steals and load up on power bats as power now equates to 5/6 hitting cats. I think that punting a stat is never a good idea as it puts you behind from the get go but I'm interested to here some thoughts so I can relay them to the rest of the league.

Thanks in advance.
Guzman24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Question about extra stats WHIR

Postby bigmck » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:38 am

I think possibly you have stumbled upon the problem. Anything more than a 5 X 5 and the stats become redundant. Stick with 5 X 5 is my answer.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 62)

Re: Question about extra stats WHIR

Postby Kimbos Beard » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:03 pm

bigmck wrote:I think possibly you have stumbled upon the problem. Anything more than a 5 X 5 and the stats become redundant. Stick with 5 X 5 is my answer.

I also prefer the traditional 5x5 method. I know there are alot of leagues who like to use expanded scoring but having played in a few I just prefer the 5x5.

Punting a category is definitely a legitimate strategy but I think you are right that your scoring would definitely encourage punting moreso than in a 5x5.
Kimbos Beard
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 27)

Return to Commissioner's Corner