Trading pre-keeper selection for draft picks - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Trading pre-keeper selection for draft picks

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Trading pre-keeper selection for draft picks

Postby princethomas » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:59 pm

How does everyone feel about this? My league has to declare its 4 keepers on Sunday and then the draft is the following sunday. we allow 4 keepers. Some teams whose 5th player is better than some other teams 4th 3rd and even 2nd player wants to make a trade before the keeper cut down day for a draft pick from the other team.

How do you judge this? How do you keep it from being just a dump off. Like Evan Longoria for a 15th rd. pick would be stupid. But they might do it just to get something for him you know what I mean? Any advice?

-T
princethomas
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Trading pre-keeper selection for draft picks

Postby Matthias » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:16 pm

Don't allow it.

The reason that you allow only 4 keepers is so that people can only get so much better than anyone else. Once you let people do trades for draft picks, they basically have more than 4 keepers.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Bobbleheadrusty » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:34 pm

Do you allow the trading of draft picks? If so then there is nothing, in my mind, wrong with this. Whats the difference between making that deal, and trading two keepers for one? If I have 5 keeper-worthy players, and can turn two of them into an upgrade you better believe I make that deal. And since it benefits both teams I don;t see the problem.

Again, that is if you allow the trading of picks. Many baseball leagues don't, in which case this discussion is moot.
Bobbleheadrusty
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bigmck » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:41 pm

Major League Baseball does not allow the trading of Draft Picks. The important thing in your league is that four keepers are allowed. That is the rule. Nothing else matters.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 64)

Postby RDD15 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:41 pm

I think it depends. What does your league constitution or rules say regarding this situation? If it says nothing that forbids this, then I believe that as long as the site that handles your league will allow you to deal draft picks, then it should be allowed.

I guess in that way, I am a Fantasy Baseball Libertarian. If the constitution does not forbid you from doing it, then you can do it until that constitution is amended.
RDD15
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer

Postby Matthias » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:36 pm

Or put it really simply: An extra draft pick is a keeper. If someone wants to keep 3 guys and trade 1 of his guys for someone else's draft pick, that's fine. In essence, he still only has 4. But if you did it any other way, you'll just reach the point where one guy is hoarding draft picks for 2012 or whatever and you've completely circumvented the whole purpose of having only 4 keepers.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby oleredb » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:20 pm

My league allows off-season trading BEFORE the keepers are set. The trades are subject to league voting.

IMO trading draft picks for a player after the keepers are set robs the lower finishing teams in the league of their best opportunity to improve and gives a clear advantage to the team that finished with the most talent at the end of the previous season.
oleredb
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 17)

Postby mak1277 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:19 pm

If your league allows the trading of draft picks, then this is a perfectly valid strategy I think. Once you are in this situation, you have to evaluate each individual trade (either at the league level or from the commissioner's chair, whichever is the practice in your league).

I will tell you that allowing draft pick trades can become a real headache. I've done it in one of the leagues I run, and it becomes a pain in the butt to monitor and police. We do a slow draft over email (takes 2-3 weeks) so there is plenty of opportunity for guys to trade players and picks.

Once you allow it, though, I think you should also allow trading pre-keepers for picks. You don't end up "adding a keeper" as some people have mentioned, because you only have a limited number of roster spots.

For example, say you have a 22 man team with 4 keepers. That means you have 18 open draft slots. If a team trades a pre-keeper player for a draft pick, that would give him 19 draft slots, which is too many. You then would have to adjust and eliminate that team's last draft pick to even it out at 18 again. So, there's no "extra" keeper, he's just moving up in the draft order in exchange for the player he traded away.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby Matthias » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:57 pm

mak1277 wrote:If your league allows the trading of draft picks, then this is a perfectly valid strategy I think. Once you are in this situation, you have to evaluate each individual trade (either at the league level or from the commissioner's chair, whichever is the practice in your league).

I will tell you that allowing draft pick trades can become a real headache. I've done it in one of the leagues I run, and it becomes a pain in the butt to monitor and police. We do a slow draft over email (takes 2-3 weeks) so there is plenty of opportunity for guys to trade players and picks.

Once you allow it, though, I think you should also allow trading pre-keepers for picks. You don't end up "adding a keeper" as some people have mentioned, because you only have a limited number of roster spots.

For example, say you have a 22 man team with 4 keepers. That means you have 18 open draft slots. If a team trades a pre-keeper player for a draft pick, that would give him 19 draft slots, which is too many. You then would have to adjust and eliminate that team's last draft pick to even it out at 18 again. So, there's no "extra" keeper, he's just moving up in the draft order in exchange for the player he traded away.

I like you, mak, but I gotta disagree here.

Say one guy isn't doing so well a year ago, so he trades away a player who can help a team for a 1st round draft pick in 2011. And then this year he isn't doing well again so he trades away 2 more players for 1st round draft picks next year. So next year he starts the year with 4 keepers and 4 1st round draft picks. Those 3 extra 1st round picks absolutely function as 3 extra keepers, or at least very very close to it.

My problem with this is that it creates a situation where you almost have to compile picks in order to make a run at it. And instead of every year, every team having a chance with some teams having a slight edge, you would have a small number of teams who were out of it in the past with a concentration of value to start the year. It's just a bad idea and defeats the purpose of limiting keepers in the first place.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bigmck » Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:36 am

The big problem with trading draft picks is you get a guy who trades away all the low round draft picks and then quits the league. The team is gutted and it will be hard to find an owner to take it over.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 64)

Return to Commissioner's Corner