Pitchers and hitters Trade value - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Beginner's Forum

Pitchers and hitters Trade value

Pitchers and hitters Trade value

Postby bujfan2030 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:13 am

When trading pitching for hitting Should you go by your league's ranking system. Or is there a better way to measure value. :-?
bujfan2030
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 34)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: Pitchers and hitters Trade value

Postby MTUCache » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:52 am

bujfan2030 wrote:When trading pitching for hitting Should you go by your league's ranking system. Or is there a better way to measure value. :-?

Lots of different factors to consider here.

First, your league settings. The generic rankings (be they Yahoo, ESPN, or whatever) are rarely adjusted specifically for your league. The settings and rules in your league will dramatically impact the value of certain players. Certain guys are going to benefit from a roto league vs. a H2H league. Certain players value goes up based on how shallow their position is, including things like second catchers, extra MI/CI spots, or extra UT spots can definitely throw those rankings out the window.

Next, every player is going to have a different value to each team. If your team is already very heavy with power/average hitters, adding a Pujols may not be nearly as beneficial as adding a Juan Pierre, even though Pujols is obviously a much better player. Likewise, adding Papelbon to your team may not help you all that much if you've already got four solid closers. Most teams are going to have an obvious weak-spot, and players who can address that are much more valuable for them.

In short, no... I'd never just look at the generic rankings to see if I wanted to make a trade. That's generally the last thing I'm going to look at. I'm looking at projected stats, I'm looking at how far/ahead I am in certain categories, I'm looking at how I'm using my bench spots, I'm looking at injury risk/reward, I'm looking at batting orders, I'm looking for potential value to my team. I'm hoping that my opponent falls for that type of thought-process and maybe I can get some good value for my team just because all he's looking at is rankings.
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Beginner's Forum