first-time auction league - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

first-time auction league

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

first-time auction league

Postby schloofy » Sun Mar 21, 2004 4:37 pm

My 5X5, ten-team ML draft league decided to try an auction in its fifth year, with interesting results. Many of us did not know what we were doing. Using dollar values I got from places like Rotoworld, I overbid on several players, and at least 6 other guys in my league also spent early, and like madmen, so that at the end of the draft, those few who had been a bit more conservative were able to pick up insane bargains like David Riske and Pat Burrell for $2. I got in on this to some degree myself. We all did, because the ones that weren't out of cash were out of roster space. I screwed myself a couple times because I thought the bidding would go higher than it did. I targeted Santana, Soriano and Gagne and may have overpaid. I did not want to end up with Willis, Griffey or Piazza, but got stuck. Here's my roster. Do I have a chance?

C - Piazza $22
1B - Sweeney $17
2B - Soriano $41
3B - Hinske $7
SS - Aurilia $1
OF - Griffey $15
OF - Dunn $12
OF - Chipper $16
OF - Millar $1
OF - Abreu $27
CI - Alfonzo $2
MI - R. Alomar $1
Ut - Jason Bay $1
SP - Dontrelle Willis $13
SP - Wade Miller $9
SP - Washburn $2
SP - Ted Lilly $4
SP - Johan Santana $20
P - Borowski $12
P - R. Soriano $9
P - Gagne $27
P - Affeldt $1

Like many of my fellow owners, I had no money left for a bench. Free agents are $3, so I may have some trouble moving players, picking guys up, etc. I am already trying to trade Willis for a cheaper guy.

Any advice?
schloofy

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Re: first-time auction league

Postby Schloof » Sun Mar 21, 2004 4:41 pm

oops, I logged in under the wrong screen name.

If this particular answer was helpful to you, click here.
(You can click on none or multiple replies in your thread.)
Schloof
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 22, 2004 12:20 am

no one has anything to say? There are no wrong answers here.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Schloof » Mon Mar 22, 2004 2:40 am

does no one care? anyone out there have any auction experience?

Schloof
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby hooligan1 » Mon Mar 22, 2004 2:44 am

Hey Schloof!! I'm out here. Just got back home, so give me a few minutes to look over your team. Thanks for responding to mine.....

Hooligan1
hooligan1
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Location: Uumm, micro-managing my fantasy baseball teams. Where else?

Postby hooligan1 » Mon Mar 22, 2004 2:55 am

Again this being my first auction as well, I'm not sure what my opinions mean......but here goes. First I think you got some excellent core hitters to build around. Soriano, Piazza, Chipper, Abreu and Sweeney are all top-notch, professional hitters. You will get very good power and average from those guys as well as steals from Sori and Bobby. You are right that you may have paid too much for Piazza; but who knows? Perhaps not if he stays healthy...Griffey.....uugh. Not a fan, but like you said, sometimes you get stuck. I really like your low-cost players. Aurillia and Alomar could both have relative resurgent seasons, making them well worth a $1 bid. Millar is pretty good, but can he hold onto regular playing time...? Probably, but it looks like Ortiz is creeping into that BoSox 1B spot. I like your relievers, but your starters leave something to be desired. Santana is excellent as your ace, but even he is unproven! The rest are all just decent pitchers, but I hope they turn into value picks for you.....

Hooligan1
hooligan1
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Location: Uumm, micro-managing my fantasy baseball teams. Where else?

Postby RedsRebirth » Mon Mar 22, 2004 10:51 am

Well, I consider myself an auction vet, ive done about 5 now. I had my draft last night. Only difference is we do NL only, so im not as up on the AL guys. A couple questions though, what is your cap? What do free agents cost?
At first glance at your roster you need better starting pitching. YOu may have to part with one of those stud outfielders in order to bring in a great starter. Other than that, this team could be very injury prone, but, thats the beauty of this, they may all be healthy and in that case, it looks great. Good luck!

RedsRebirth
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Mon Mar 22, 2004 7:05 pm

Well, first off, I don't think you overpaid too much for anything. You have to expect to overpay for the first few rounds if you want any of those players. It's just how the auctions work. Plus, you can afford to spend more in a 10 team league than in a 12 team league to get the top players.

Now, as for your team: It's solid, although I'm sure that you know that you need help at SS and OF (Millar and Dunn have no place starting in a 10 team league). You need another top starter, maybe two. You overpaid for Dontrelle, though you got Santana pretty cheap. You should be in the top half of the league or so in saves- thanks to Gagne, though maybe you could use one more guy. You cobbled together a nice staff of #3 guys, though.

Overall- you could use a little more speed, though it isn't necessary. If Piazza stays healthy, you should be fine in the power cats. You need a top SP who will strike some guys out. Another closer wouldn't hurt.

I would also try and trade R. Soriano. He says that he wants to stay in relief and I don't know that he'll earn you $9 this year. But many are high on him.. In any case, you'll compete, though you need to tweak your team somewhat. You definately need more cap room in case a stud minor leaguer matures faster than expected.

Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team