Team Defense? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Team Defense?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Team Defense?

Postby thedude » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:47 pm

great gretzky wrote:I think he meant that the bias is in the fact that when someone says "Sox" -- everyone thinks Red Sox. He was pointing out the White Sox exist too.

This is what he meant. The fact people were confused by what he said further illustrates the argument that there is an East Coast bias.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby MTUCache » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:53 pm

thedude wrote:
great gretzky wrote:I think he meant that the bias is in the fact that when someone says "Sox" -- everyone thinks Red Sox. He was pointing out the White Sox exist too.

This is what he meant. The fact people were confused by what he said further illustrates the argument that there is an East Coast bias.

Lol... dude, I live in Chicago and I was confused by that.

Now that it's been explained to me, I understand. Much like Chipper's adoration of Jason Heyward, it wasn't as transparent as it should have been to my alcohol-soaked brain cavity.
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby DaSh 1s » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:12 pm

thedude wrote:

No, not really at all. I simply thought everyone wouldn't confuse the White Sox and Red Sox when it comes todefense. Didn't know anyone would have to think which one I was referring to. lol I can't believe I am being accused of East Coast Bias. That's pretty funny.
B-Chad wrote:Pedroia's LD rate of 20% is reason to believe he'll maintain a higher BA then Cano. It should also be noted he hits more FB's then Cano, which means that even if he posts a lower HR/FB then Cano, he should come in reasonably close to Cano in HR's
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 1)

Postby great gretzky » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:26 pm

howard is vastly improved in his d and is no longer a drain.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby fezzik » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:33 pm

DaSh 1s wrote:No, not really at all. I simply thought everyone wouldn't confuse the White Sox and Red Sox when it comes todefense. Didn't know anyone would have to think which one I was referring to. lol I can't believe I am being accused of East Coast Bias. That's pretty funny.

Well, as a quick counterpoint, I don't think most people know off the top of their head which teams have a superior defense. I know I don't follow team defense nearly as much as offense. Assuming everyone would know you meant the Red Sox is a bit of a presumption. I assumed you did because they added Beltre and Cameron, but it's dangerous to base everything on assumptions...eventually someone will make a wrong assumption. And that's when people die...
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby DaSh 1s » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:37 pm

fezzik wrote:Well, as a quick counterpoint, I don't think most people know off the top of their head which teams have a superior defense. I know I don't follow team defense nearly as much as offense. Assuming everyone would know you meant the Red Sox is a bit of a presumption. I assumed you did because they added Beltre and Cameron, but it's dangerous to base everything on assumptions...eventually someone will make a wrong assumption. And that's when people die...

Valid. Sorry, with the World Wide media coverage the Red Sox get through MLB network and ESPN, I thought it was impossible to miss the articles and reports on Theo's genius Runs Saved plan. ;-)
B-Chad wrote:Pedroia's LD rate of 20% is reason to believe he'll maintain a higher BA then Cano. It should also be noted he hits more FB's then Cano, which means that even if he posts a lower HR/FB then Cano, he should come in reasonably close to Cano in HR's
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby kab21 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:55 pm

DaSh 1s wrote:
fezzik wrote:Well, as a quick counterpoint, I don't think most people know off the top of their head which teams have a superior defense. I know I don't follow team defense nearly as much as offense. Assuming everyone would know you meant the Red Sox is a bit of a presumption. I assumed you did because they added Beltre and Cameron, but it's dangerous to base everything on assumptions...eventually someone will make a wrong assumption. And that's when people die...

Valid. Sorry, with the World Wide media coverage the Red Sox get through MLB network and ESPN, I thought it was impossible to miss the articles and reports on Theo's genius Runs Saved plan. ;-)

From now on the Red Sox will be known as the Sox and the White Sox will be known as that other Chicago team. :-D

the top tier is definitely the Sox :-D , the M's and the Rays imo.

the Braves might be next when their OF consists of 3 of the following - McClouth, Schafer, Melky and Heyward.

the phillies are in the mix since their weaknesses are at the 2 least important defensive positions (1B and LF).

The A's after years of defensive butchery might have a solid defense.

If the Reds get rid of OCab at SS they have good defenders everywhere else I think.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 167)

Postby AussieDodger » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:14 pm

The A's could have a plus defender at every position this year, and a top three outfield.
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 19)

Postby Ender » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:33 pm

http://www.fangraphs.com/teams.aspx?pos ... 09&month=0

Obviously doesn't account for new players signed this year but that shows the leaders in uzr/150 last year.

Mariners and Rays are the obvious choices, Phillies lost a little bit going from Feliz to Polanco. Red Sox gained a ton of defense this off season. I don't know if the Reds/Tigers/Giants are really sustainable or not since they have a lot of player turnover.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby DaSh 1s » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:28 pm

In lieu of the RSox/Twins game, Run Prevention™ is working well today.

DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers