Luke Hochevar - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Luke Hochevar

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Luke Hochevar

Postby Padres Fan » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:45 am

Anyone think this will be his season, I wasted a roster spot on him this season, as this is his 3rd full season in the majors and he is suposedly talented, if he is on this year the one two combo of Greinke and him could be awesome.
Padres Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Luke Hochevar

Postby flooredyas » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:46 pm

I've picked him up off FA the past 2 years and subsiquently dropped him in both. I had heard the hype and don't doubt that the talent may be there, just need to see it prior to drafting him. Have 2 28 man roster drafts (14 teams each) approaching and will consider him LATE, depending on team needs, but won't go out of my way. I wouldn't be surprised to see him go undrafted though.
flooredyas
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Padres Fan » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:11 am

I grabbed him off the ww, when Nathan went down so I hope the gamble is worth it.
Padres Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby 910BronxBomber » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:53 pm

I took a long look at Hochevar last season. I just don't see it. He dazzles one start, slumps miserably, then right when you are at your whits end he manages to flash another glimpse at what could have been. In my opinion, he's an almost sure bust at this point in his career.

-910BB
910BronxBomber
College Coach
College Coach

Postby COOPERSTOWN » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:26 pm

He is a WW pick up for me yesterday once I figured Mijres was not the closer in Minnestota but i hated him last year when i picked him up and i'm worried i may hate him this year again.

But I love all 3 rd year players at his age - Break out year maybe. worth a bench spot and first player dropped when injuries hit
"... "Ugliness" and "Fatness" are genetic disorders, much like baldness or necrophilia, and it's only your fault if you don't hate yourself enough to do something about it!" - My Mom
COOPERSTOWN
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby COOPERSTOWN » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:05 am

That was a nice start last night - low pitch count. Looked great on my bench....

But as i recall last year, that means his 2 start week next week will be a disaster - heres hoping i'm wrong
"... "Ugliness" and "Fatness" are genetic disorders, much like baldness or necrophilia, and it's only your fault if you don't hate yourself enough to do something about it!" - My Mom
COOPERSTOWN
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby thejusman1 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:01 pm

I'm taking a flier in a deep 14-teamer. Worse thing that can happen is I bury myself further in last place.
http://slippingoffaledge.wordpress.com/ - A blog for political rants, fantasy sports, and thoughts from my twisted mind. Warning: Not for children.
thejusman1
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby J.C.Fighter » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:01 pm

I'm scared to death in owning this guy, I wouldnt be surprised if he gets rocked next week
J.C.Fighter
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby TornHammy » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:58 pm

Hochevar's worth a flier in deeper leagues. I would add him, sit him for his next start @DET, then make a judgement call after.

He has a few things going for him that you look for in a pitcher making "the leap" from year to year:

1. Former big time prospect
2. Third year in the bigs
3. Big jump in velocity

That third one is the key. Throughout his minor league and major league career he's been throwing his 4-seam FB around 91/92 mph, and all of a sudden in his first start of 2010 he's throwing it consistently at 94/95/96 where it was in college. He was also using the 2-seam FB far more in his first start than he did previsously, throwing it much harder and with a significant increase in movement. As you would expect, he induced a lot of groundballs. If he keeps all of this up, the K's will come and his numbers could be very good since the control has always been there.

This reminds me a little of Jon Lester who was touted as a good prospect, struggled for his first 200 MLB IP, and then out of nowhere he found an extra 2-3mph of velocity around July of 2008, and since then he's been an absolute beast.

You can do a lot worse than picking up Hochevar.
Last edited by TornHammy on Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TornHammy
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Joe Mauer » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:40 pm

TornHammy wrote:Hochevar's worth a flier in deeper leagues. I would add him, sit him for his next start @DET, then make a judgement call after.

He has a few things going for him that you look for in a pitcher making "the leap" from year to year:

1. Former big time prospect
2. Third year in the bigs
3. Big jump in velocity

That third one is the key. Throughout his minor league and major league career he's been throwing his 4-seam FB around 91/92 mph, and all of a sudden in his first start of 2010 he's throwing it consistently at 94/95/96 where it was in college. He was also using the 2-seam FB far more in his first start then he did previsously, throwing it much harder and with a significant increase in movement. As you would expect, he induced a lot of groundballs. If he keeps all of this up, the K's will come and his numbers could be very good since the control has always been there.

This reminds me a little of Jon Lester who was touted as a good prospect, struggled for his first 200 MLB IP, and then out of nowhere he found an extra 2-3mph of velocity around July of 2008, and since then he's been an absolute beast.

You can do a lot worse than picking up Hochevar.

Only 7 posts from this member? This is very good quality info presented here. I have him on my reserve roster (not on my majors team) in one league and the bump in velocity was unknown by me until reading this, so I thank you for that very good nugget! I will continue to follow him closely and in a start or two he may make me comfortable in making a move on my majors squad to free up a spot for him.

Pierz,Castro,Tulo,Espinosa,Gyorko,Goldschmidt,Encarna,Howard,Carter,Cespedes,Marte,Soriano,Brown,Ludwick,Smoak
Strasbg,King F,Harvey,Scherzer,Teheran,Street,Jansen,Hernandez
BA 5,HR 9.5,R 4,RBI 6,SB 2,ERA 12,H+S 8,K 11,W 7.5,WHIP 11,TOT 76 pt 3rd
Joe Mauer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 2)
Location: Standing outside the Metrodome singing "We're going to win Twins, We're going to score...."

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates