When do MLB teams put their players on the DL? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

When do MLB teams put their players on the DL?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: When do MLB teams put their players on the DL?

Postby Maris09 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:33 am

John Bonzo wrote:Jose Reyes has been placed on the DL in yahoo, though I don't think he has officially been placed there by the Mets (at least according to this link). Why the inconsistency?

CBSSports has Reyes on the DL as of 4/1
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 8)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Syfo-Dyas » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:44 am

This is (mod edit) annoying every year. :-C :-C :-C
I know that teams dont care about fantasy so it doesnt matter for them when to put their players on DL, but for gods sake, couldnt fantasy sites put guys on DL like Kerry Wood or Brandon Webb on their own, knowing that they will be on the DL for months!

But the best idea would be, not to put anyone on the DL until Opening Day, so every fantasy team has the same chance to fill their emptied rosterspot.
the awesome sig by soty

"You should be mindful of the future, but not at the expense of the
moment." - Qui-Gon Jinn (keeper league expert?)
Syfo-Dyas
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Maris09 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:49 am

Syfo-Dyas wrote:But the best idea would be, not to put anyone on the DL until Opening Day, so every fantasy team has the same chance to fill their emptied rosterspot.

Yep, that sounds like a good idea to me. It is very frustrating to see all the guys you want snapped up just because one team puts out their DL list before another.
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 8)

Postby ScarletP » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:55 am

John Bonzo wrote:Jose Reyes has been placed on the DL in yahoo, though I don't think he has officially been placed there by the Mets (at least according to this link). Why the inconsistency?

Reyes (thyroid) went 1-for-4 with a leadoff home run and a walk in a minor-league game against New Orleans Friday. He played seven innings at shortstop.

Recommendation: The plan still is for Reyes to start the year on the DL and be back by the fifth game of the season. However, he still has not officially been placed on the DL, and if he shows that he is able to play a full game at shortstop before Monday, could he change the team's mind and come north with the squad?
(Rotowire.com)

Yep, that's an annoying inconsistency all right. Yahoo's going to look pretty bad if Reyes stays off the real-life DL but fantasy managers everywhere are scrambling/dropping players because of guys like Webb, Wood, etc.
ScarletP
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby jackie hayes » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:41 am

Some sources are saying Reyes has been put on the dl, though it's not on the MLB or Mets transactions page (as of now).

NEW YORK METS—Placed SS Jose Reyes on the 15-day DL, retroactive to March 26.

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/event/ ... up/Sports/

:-?
jackie hayes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 90)

Postby ScarletP » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:59 am

The Reyes thing is probably not a Yahoo screw-up then. It's probably the fault of whoever Yahoo is getting their roster info from.
ScarletP
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Ballpark Frank » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:25 am

Do teams have to finally put their guys on the DL prior to tonight's game or prior to their first game? What is the exact deadline? C'mon already!
Ballpark Frank
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby jackie hayes » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:57 am

Ballpark Frank wrote:Do teams have to finally put their guys on the DL prior to tonight's game or prior to their first game? What is the exact deadline? C'mon already!

I've read that it's 2 pm today.

http://kansascity.royals.mlb.com/news/p ... sp&c_id=kc

The Royals will finalize their Opening Day 25-man roster prior to the 2 p.m. CDT deadline tomorrow.

Sucks for Yahoo leagues, but there it is.
jackie hayes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 90)

Postby kab21 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:06 am

Maris09 wrote:
Syfo-Dyas wrote:But the best idea would be, not to put anyone on the DL until Opening Day, so every fantasy team has the same chance to fill their emptied rosterspot.

Yep, that sounds like a good idea to me. It is very frustrating to see all the guys you want snapped up just because one team puts out their DL list before another.

I'm in a league with a manual setting/enforcement of this. In this case I don't like because my guys were the first ones on the DL. But it probably is the best solution.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 177)

Postby Pochucker » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:31 am

There is an easy answer if your team plays on cbs site. Our league has 25 roster spots (including 6 bench) + 3dl spots.There is an option in settings to allow you to carry 28 (whatever your roster limits + dl spots is) players "temporarily" meaning by lineup lock time you must be down to legal limits and correct lineup spots. So we drafted two weeks ago but many teams have picked players up in anticipation of guys going on dl.
Only fly in the ointment is I have seen the "official" announcements of players going on dl and site hasnt updated them in time so as commish I will put them on dl. I only do that before season starts --during season we all wait for site to update.
So with expanded roster you can pick guys up as you need or anticipate problems.
During season we have rule that if you pick someone up during week they must be on your roster during next scoring period.
Pochucker
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers