Ian Stewart has a sweet swing - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Ian Stewart has a sweet swing

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Ian Stewart has a sweet swing

Postby Matthias » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:26 am

I think asumikey got a job with ESPN.

Expect Stewart to hit around .275. Yes, that's a full 47 points higher than last year, but here are the reasons Stewart will improve mightily in the batting-average category, and why that .228 mark last year was an anomaly.

He's a legit prospect with a sweet swing. We're not talking a come-out-of-nowhere call-up here. We're talking about a guy who set Orange County records in high school, was a first-round pick (10th overall) out of high school in 2003 and a perennial top-50 prospect coming through the minors. It's not like he's doing anything right now, in terms of power and run production, that he wasn't expected to do. Having seen the guy play in person a handful of times, he truly is a natural athlete with very fast hands. So far he has struggled with big league breaking stuff, but he'll figure it out. The great young hitters do. It would be more of a concern if he couldn't hit the fastball. All it takes is a curveball bounced back through the middle once a week to transform him from a .228 hitter to the .270 hitter he can and will be.

On a serious bent, this isn't the only guy who I've seen with a man-crush on Stewart. Unless he's already past the overhype train, there could be value in them thar hills.
Last edited by Matthias on Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Ian Stewart has a sweet swing

Postby B-Chad » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:35 am

Lol. Thanks for this post. Gotta love that ESPN analysis based in "0" statistical grounding, unless "sweet swing," is a new sabermetric stat I'm not familiar with.
Image]
B-Chad
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Ender » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:41 am

You would think they would at least mention the .270 BABIP last year. As long as he keeps striking out 1 out of 3 times he is going to struggle to hit .275. The swing isn't the problem, the missing the ball is.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby AussieDodger » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:43 am

Ender wrote:You would think they would at least mention the .270 BABIP last year. As long as he keeps striking out 1 out of 3 times he is going to struggle to hit .275. The swing isn't the problem, the missing the ball is.

But he's a legit prospect and Orange County records holder :-? :-?
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby nate128 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:44 am

I think a .260 average with 25-30 HR is solid projection for Stewart this year. I understand his BABIP was fairly low last season at .270, but even if it goes to around .320, it won't raise his average a crazy amount.
nate128
College Coach
College Coach

Postby BALCO All-Stars » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:50 am

so...saying he will hit for a decent average because he holds high school records means that I have a shot at gold in the 2012 olympic Games because I am the Fulton junior high record holder in discus...HUH?
BALCO All-Stars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 6)

Postby AussieDodger » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:51 am

BALCO All-Stars wrote:so...saying he will hit for a decent average because he holds high school records means that I have a shot at gold in the 2012 olympic Games because I am the Fulton junior high record holder in discus...HUH?

But are you a legit prospect? :-? :-?

;-7
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby Pochucker » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:54 am

Im a little interested. He had a 68% contact rate last year --couple that with his k rate and you saw the results. However in two separate minor league seasons his contact rate was over 80% --so there is hope for improvement.
Pochucker
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Tavish » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:51 pm

Pochucker wrote:Im a little interested. He had a 68% contact rate last year --couple that with his k rate and you saw the results. However in two separate minor league seasons his contact rate was over 80% --so there is hope for improvement.

Which two?

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter

Postby j24jags » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:26 pm

B-Chad wrote:Lol. Thanks for this post. Gotta love that ESPN analysis based in "0" statistical grounding, unless "sweet swing," is a new sabermetric stat I'm not familiar with.

Yep, I'm fairly high on Stewart, but I think you realistically can't expect more than .250-.260.
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers